Nippon Connection 2009

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
diceman
Pedicab Driver

Nippon Connection 2009

Post by diceman »

Just to make Hung Fist a little envious, I wanted to tell you, that next week I'm going to be at the world largest Festival vor Japanese Film, the Nippon Connection at Frankfurt, Germany. They even have a Retro wholly dealing with Pinku Eiga and Japanese Sexploitation from the 60s on till the 90s. :D There will be a couple of supposedly really good movies (sadly you can't see them all, since some of them will be screened simultaneously), and if I find the time I'm gonna write a couple of sentences about them in the forum, too. If I'm not too lazy, that is.
- Festival Homepage

I'm planning to see:

TOKYO SONATA (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

GENIUS PARTY
- ANIME SHORTS (Atsuko Fukushima, Shoji Kawamori, Shinji Kimura, Yoji Fukuyama, Hideki Futamari, Masaaki Yuasa, Shinichiro Watanabe)

SERIAL DAD (Ikki Katashima)

20TH CENTURY BOYS (Yukihiko Tsutsumi)

ICHI (Fumihiko Sori)

GENIUS PARTY BEYOND
- ANIME SHORTS (Mahiro Maeda, Kazuto Nakazawa, Shinya Ohira, Tatsuyuki Tanaka, Koji Morimoto)

OSAKA HAMLET (Fujiro Mitsuishi)

KOJU MAEDA SPECIAL
- WOMAN (Koji Maeda)
- TOWN PUNCH (Koji Maeda)
- KONAKO HAS NO LUCK WITH MEN (Koji Maeda)

DETROIT METAL CITY (Toshio Lee)

THE FIRST SEVEN DAYS (Hisashi Saito)

S&M HUNTER (Shuji Kataoka)

YUBARI FANTASTIC FILM FESTIVAL SPECIAL: SHORTS
- DIARY OF THE THIEF (Devi Kobayashi)
- DISCORD (Kenji Tanaka)
- NANAE-CHAN (Devi Kobayashi)
- THE WOMAN WHO IS BEATING THE EARTH (Tsuki Inoue)

LOVE EXPOSURE (Sion Sono)

THE TWO IN TRACKSUITS (Yoshihiro Nakamura)

PARTING PRESENT (Mamoru Watanabe)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Of course I'd kill to see Love Exposure.

Tokyo Sonata is excellent. Really took me by surprise after those miserable J-horror films Kurosawa did.

GS Wonderland could be good. With the hot as hell Chiaki Kuriyama in the lead and directed by Ryuchi Honda who did some pretty amusing pink films (such as My Wife's Shell, in which Kazuyoshi Ozawa gives a great performance as a wannabe Elvis radio host, and Watermelon, which co-stars one of the best japanese actors, Hiroshi Yamamoto). Seriously man, why aren't you seeing it??? :D

Those pink films are mostly the same bunch that were shown in the US on a few festivals. You should be able to find reviews of all of them.
Last edited by HungFist on 10 Apr 2009, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
diceman
Pedicab Driver

Post by diceman »

I wanted to see "GS Wonderland" really badly, but on Friday it collides with "20th Century Boys". It's being re-screened on Saturday, though (5:00 p.m., the information on the Homepage is wrong), but then I wanted to see "The First Seven Days", because that's the kind of movie you'll probably never get to see again with subtitles. But I'm still not 100% sure, perhaps I'll reconsider. Maybe I'll skip "20th Century Boys" since it's the first part of a trilogy, anyway, and get back to it when it's completely available on DVD? On the other hand it sounds like something really epic, something bound to be seen on the big screen at least once.

From the Pink Retrospective I'm only gonna watch "S&M Hunter". Nazi Schoolgirls, Bondage and Ninja-Style Duels. What more can you ask for? :D