The HTPC thread... (was "Has anyone got My Sassy Girl DC")

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
degeneration
Royal Tramp

The HTPC thread... (was "Has anyone got My Sassy Girl DC")

Post by degeneration »

I'm ripping all my dvds to my media centre, but for some annoying reason my copy of My Sassy Girl won't rip properly. Think there is a unreadable sector or something.

Tried everything but no avail.

I found an alternate version to use, which is also the DC, but with the TC music... which I don't want.

So does anyone have, and is willing to lend me, the proper DC version (with My Girl playing in the background during the shoe swap scene). I will return it back to you after ripping it.

Likewise for my copy of Wonderful Days (aka Sky blue).

So if anyone has any of those to lend, I would be most appreciative.
Last edited by degeneration on 29 Oct 2011, 00:16, edited 2 times in total.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Anyone got My Sassy Girl (Korean) Director's Cut dvd and

Post by thelostdragon »

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I have a question. How many TB of disc space do you have?
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Well, I got Wonderful Days working eventually, so just MSG I'm after.

I got 2 x 2TB drives working as mirrored copies of each other.

I rip most films to about 1GB in size, some less. Using handbrake, I set the video quality level at 22. Gave it a comparison with video level 20 and better, and to be honest I couldn't notice that much of a difference. So figured why increase the filesize to double or even more than double the size for very little notable quality improvement.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Does that retain the lossy/lossless 5.1 audio? MKV I presume?
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

With most films I use AC3 passthru audio option, so I assume that passes the audio through as it is on the DVD with no compression. Some films where I know that I'm not bothered at all about the 5.1 surround, as it is unlikely to be a film it adds to I'll encode it as stereo.

But with most films, even with 5.1 DD audio the file size is still less than 1GB per film. Depends on the quality of the original. Some of my crappier HK dvds ripped at quality setting 22 came out as about 600MB. Other films with a far superior original transfer clocked in at over 1GB despite identical settings.

I do use MKV, but that's just a container, the more important part is the H.264 codec.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Wow. Impressive really. Some day I'll use my vacation time to do the same to all my 2500+ DVDs/Blurays. I'm kinda sick of having them around my place everywhere you look. I need to digitalise them and have them out of sight after that. I'd love to browse my collection on my home TV (DVD Profiler?) and then just chose what to watch from there.

Do you rip the DVDs as a whole (extras, menus etc.) or just the feature film? How about subtitles for foreign language films?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's a nice idea but imagine the man hours involved. I'm happier to just keep my DVDs/BDs at a reasonable level. I doubt it includes things like menus/extras etc... too. I used to convert DivX/Xvid to DVD and it took ages, plus multiple steps (it wasn't anywhere near as slick as CD to MP3).

No offence to Degeneration though. I can see big advantages to ripping everything. What about DTS? Aren't you into Blu-ray Degeneration?

Other than the odd rip, I've only used Xvid (DivX before it) with the AVI container and that's just the odd bittorrent download. I only download movies I'm only a little bothered to see, so quality isn't important, plus my £30 DVD Player can handle DivX/Xvid but not MKV (which is a big reason). I only use it for this purpose.

Is the MKV container much better to AVI? I know it's very popular. I know DivX/Xvid films when compressed to 700Mb are far worse (still acceptable though) but both those are based on a very old MPEG2 version.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

mkv/avi - from what I gather the mkv is better as it can hold multiple audio options and multiple subtitles options. I don't think avi can do that. But for quality it is the codec that matters, not the container. The H.264 codec is very good. A 700MB, 90 min film looks absolutely fine for me. Yes it isn't as sharp as the original DVD, but it is sharp enough. Again, the source quality makes a huge difference.

I just rip the film. Not bothered at all about menus or extras. I don't have a blu-ray drive on my computer, so I have not ripped any blu-rays yet. When I watched dvds, I could rarely tell the difference between a DTS and DD 5.1 sound track. Maybe if I could play the same scene immediately after each other in each variant, I would notice the difference, but i'm happy with DD.
With Handbrake, you have the option to burn the subtitles in rather than have a separate subtitle file in the mkv container. I'm never going to watch a foreign language film without the subs, so I burn them in to remove any hassle of having to switch on/off subs from film to film. It also gives the option to show only the "forced" subs - e.g. english language film, with a little foreign audio.

My htpc has the XBMC front end, with the Aeon Nox skin. Looks superb to be honest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azqi9OB8jzY Not the best video to show it off, but was one of the first I found on a quick search. Lots of other skins that look incredible too. Very customisable, so you can pretty much have it how you want it.

Ripping a 90 min film usually takes about 25-30 mins, so it is quite time consuming. It will be faster/slower depending on your processor. That is with my AMD Athlon II x4 640. TV series are the worst. I've been at the ripping for quite a few months now, 5-10 films/dvds on a weekday evening, and about double that or more on weekends I spend in. I won't deny it is a huge effort, but it was one I knew was going to take a long time, so I've been happy to do it a little at a time. I'm now at the stage where I'm finishing off everything. Just got about 30 or so films to go, and they are the ones I'm not that bothered about to be honest!!

I only did it all because I think it is worth it. I've got EVERY film, tv series and piece of music I own in my htpc, and can access all of them in seconds. The ease, simplicity and seemlessness of it all makes it worth it for me. That's all I use it for, but you can have it run programs, be a picture album, there are add ons for facebook, flickr... you name it. If it is something you'd want a media centre to do, then there is probably an add on to do it.

The XBMC skins also download a lot of info about each film/tv series. I can browse my movie collection by actor, genre, year etc. If I have a film that I'm not sure what it is, the synopsis is automatically downloaded, and for most films a link to a streaming trailer for the film is given too, so I can watch the trailer first if I want.

My dad has been so impressed by it, he's got me to build and set up one for him too.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I've got the Korean LE release of Sassy girl, PM me your address degen and I'll get it out to you.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

degeneration wrote:My dad has been so impressed by it, he's got me to build and set up one for him too.
Who's gonna do the ripping?

Thanks btw. As it's clearly something you're into, it's certainly worth it. I've never been a fan of using a PC as a Media hub. They're still to techie/complicated for my liking. Even Windows Media Center dedicated PCs are too complicated, they should be as simple as Sky+/Freeview+. I'm forever tinkering with my Windows 7 install but I don't want to do this when watching TV/Movies.

Humax sell a nice Freeview+ HD box which can also store media locally (or over DLNA/SMB). I was gonna get that but am waiting for YouView due early 2012 (you'll be able to go back and forward in the EPG and it'll seamlessly access iPlayer, 4OD etc...). I doubt it handles halve the formats a PC can but all I use is Xvid/DivX, JPEGs and MP3s, so it'll be fine. I doubt it'll support QuickTime MOV (davestrailerpage.co.uk rocks), which is a bitch but I've never come across anything (outside of a PC) that can handle QuickTime.

I like the idea of having it in the same box as my Freeview+.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Well, in my htpc I've put a TV card in, so I got all TV channels in there too. I use it as a PVR as well.

I have a program called NeverMissTV that groups together all the onDemand content on the net (iplayer, 4od etc) so I can access all of that too. It is launched from inside XBMC, so I never need to see the Windows desktop.

As for complicated PCs... take a look at XBMC, so simple and sleek. A little work required in the initial set up, but not a lot. And once it is set up and running, next to no work needed. WMC does some things well, but it just looks so rubbish that I would be put of using it cause of that. To keep you from tinkering with your Windows 7 install, if you are wanting to use the PC as a media centre ONLY, then install Windows 7 Starter, it has so few features of Windows on it that there is nothing to tinker with! So you can just put on your htpc software and you're ready to go. You're limited to 2GB of ram, but that's all you need for XBMC. 1080p will run fine with that.

My dad's going to rip all his own stuff, but he's getting a copy of everything i've already done, so that will keep his work to a minimum and give him several hundred films to get him started!!

I like my "boys toys" gadget type things, so I am liking the htpc. Some people can spend loads on it, but usually they are buying hardware that is waaaaayyyyy over the top for a htpc use (unless they plan to game on it too). Mine wasn't cheap but I got:

Case & PSU - £45
CPU - £40
Mobo - £55
2x2TB - £110
1 hd enclosure - £5
1 x 500GB - £28
TV Card - £15
Remote - £10
2GB ram - £20
DVD drive - £13
Spare Mouse + keyboard - £8

So I think that is £349 for the whole thing. Not cheap, but if you like films, flash looking things, and are impatient and want everything NOW, rather than going to find the dvd of that film from somewhere on the shelf, then it is worth it!

The one I built for my dad is:
Foxconn NT-A3500 - £160
4GB ram - £16
2.5" hd for OS - £23
2x2TB - £108
1 hd enclosure - £8
wireless mini mouse + keyboard combo (looks like a joypad) - £23

So total £338, but it is TINY! 2/3 the thickness of a nintendo Wii (if that), similar width, but not as long. The main HD has to be an external USB effort though. But the two combined are small enough to be mounted behind the TV so you will never actually see them. Not as fast as mine when navigating through all the menus as the CPU is an AMD E350 (dual core, 1.6GHz) but more than good enough on board graphics to play full HD.

You may think it is all a lot of effort, but once you have one you'll know it is worth it!!!
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

In my case I just built my PC quiet (passively cooled graphics card & motherboard, Zalman MFC2 allowing me to customise the speeds of the few fans I do use), got it hooked up to my projector and does the job for now.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Deg. Do you have a link for that "wireless mini mouse + keyboard combo (looks like a joypad)"? Can you buy Win7 Starter without a PC? £349 is very reasonable, look at how much you can spend. That NeverMiss.TV looks really good.
The main HD has to be an external USB effort though.
USB 2.0 (I assume 2.0) speed doesn't cause problems? That's odd, you'd think they'd make it a bit larger to fit a HD. That Foxconn NT-A3500 looks tiny (definite plus for a HTPC).

How do you find wireless copes compared to ethernet with streaming video? It's a shame it doesn't have optical/phonos on the rear. Are there any audio ports on the back or do you have to use HDMI or the front 3.5mm? Are there any unofficial XMBX Spotify plugins?

I rarely use MP3s anymore (mostly only when burning to CD for the car). It's interesting you say XMB is much better than WMC. Admittedly I've only used WMC when it comes to HTPCs.

EDIT: Ah when you say "main HD" you don't mean the OS one: http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploa ... C_1716.jpg
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Shingster wrote:In my case I just built my PC quiet (passively cooled graphics card & motherboard, Zalman MFC2 allowing me to customise the speeds of the few fans I do use), got it hooked up to my projector and does the job for now.
A completely passively cooled one was the ideal scenario for my one, but when I was making mine, the extra cost to get that set up couldn't be justified to my other half!! Gutted. But the fans are very quiet on my one anyway, so in the end it wasn't that bad.
bradavon wrote:Thanks Deg. Do you have a link for that "wireless mini mouse + keyboard combo (looks like a joypad)"? Can you buy Win7 Starter without a PC? £349 is very reasonable, look at how much you can spend. That NeverMiss.TV looks really good.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenta-Wireles ... 3f0e9801d8 It is actually quite good. Texting a lot makes using the keyboard really easy. Some nice media buttons on it too. Quite tempted to get myself one. The mouse pad will never replace the speed of an actual mouse, but for what it is, it is really good. Its size is pretty much the same as the height of an iPhone, and 1.5 x the width of an iPhone and a bit thicker. So pretty small, but still usable.
I've seen forum threads from people spending £800+ on an htpc, and sometimes that not even a gaming one. Some htpc cases are ridiculous in price - several hundred quid.

I got a dvd from a friend, where I can choose from all the different version of windows I like... but the less said about that in the public eye the better...
The main HD has to be an external USB effort though.
USB 2.0 (I assume 2.0) speed doesn't cause problems? That's odd, you'd think they'd make it a bit larger to fit a HD. That Foxconn NT-A3500 looks tiny (definite plus for a HTPC).
As per your edit in, yeah it can fit a 2.5" one, which I use for the OS. The 3.25" 2TB one (which I call the main one, as it has all the important media files on it) I use over USB 2.0. It can sustain a 20-25MB/s data transfer rate. Even a 48GB, 90 min 1080p film would only need a transfer rate of about 10MB/s on average, so USB2 should have plenty of bandwidth for Full HD.

The Foxconn is tiny. Impressively so for what it can do. It has SPDIF audio out on the rear - using a 3.5mm jack as the connector. So digital audio out is over that or HDMI. The front only has headphone and microphone sockets, so I guess the headphone one would be the analogue out.
How do you find wireless copes compared to ethernet with streaming video? It's a shame it doesn't have optical/phonos on the rear. Are there any audio ports on the back or do you have to use HDMI or the front 3.5mm? Are there any unofficial XMBX Spotify plugins?
I don't really stream much, so can't reliably comment. I guess it will be all dependent on your broadband speed, and the size of the file you are streaming. Full HD over wireless G? Not likely. SD over wireless G should be ok, I would have thought. The only things I've streamed are a few episodes of The Inbetweeners from 4OD using NevermissTV. No problems there at all. Although I can't remember whether I did that wired or wireless...

I can't comment on the Spotify plugin, or if there is one, as I don't know.
I rarely use MP3s anymore (mostly only when burning to CD for the car). It's interesting you say XMB is much better than WMC. Admittedly I've only used WMC when it comes to HTPCs.
XBMC seems to be becoming the standard choice for htpc programs. You get other ones which are more involving where you can choose every little last detail - the codec used for each file type, etc - but they are quite a chore to get set up the way you want them. XBMC takes a little work, but is easy. And it is fast to get going. Loading time is literally a second or two. And it just looks damn good.

WMC is good in all the behind the scenes stuff, it plays well etc., but it just doesn't look good. If you want something to be the centre piece of your media collection, you want it to be something that looks good. WMC doesn't, XBMC does!

I've had time to have a little play around on my dad's one now (the Foxconn NT-A3500) and even though it is only a dual core 1.65GHz CPU, it still is quite fast in XBMC. At times I can tell it isn't as quick as my one, but it is still fast enough to not be an issue. If you try to jump between too many menus, with different backdrops in too short a space in time it can sometimes take a few seconds to catch up (which it doesn't do in mine) and that has been my only complaint. Click a film to load, and if the USB hd had gone into idle, it'll show "loading" for a 2-3 seconds, then the film is on screen. If the USB hd hasn't gone into idle mode, the film is on screen within a second. For the miniscule footprint of the whole thing, you can't really ask/expect better. Even with the USB hd, I could fit about 9 -10 of that set up in my own htpc!!

Going to change (if I can) the title of this thread to "The HTPC thread", because I think that is more of a better reflection on the discussion taking place! Shing has come to my aid with the original request, so that one is answered, and it seems like a good idea to keep any relevant discussion going...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The HTPC thread... (was "Has anyone got My Sassy Girl DC

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Deg.

It turns out there are unofficial WMC and XMBC add-ons, plus a whole lot more: http://www.spotify.com/uk/about/spotify-on-the-web/
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Can someone explain the difference between FFDShow Tryouts and Haali Media Splitter please?

I know the former is a Direct Show filter for MPEG4 video (it decodes) and the latter a media parser (it splits video/audio apart and sends it to the relevant decoder) but it seems Haali Media Splitter is all you need to playback MPEG4. I'm not sure this is correct because it's not a decoder.

I'm currently using FFDShow Tryouts with MPC, which I understand has it's own MPEG4 splitter (so Haali Media Splitter isn't needed) but MPEG4 video still works in Windows Media Player etc..., which doesn't have it's own splitter.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

You've got me interested in Handbrake, degeneration... :rage: :banghead: :D

I've got XBMC running on a Zotac box which works amazingly for my TV shows. I want to rip my 400+ DVDs onto my server with Handbrake now.

I've used DVD Decrypter to copy the contents of the disc to my HDD, then loaded it into Handbrake. What settings do you use?

I've got:

Output: MKV

Picture:
Anamorphic: None
Modulus: 16
Cropping: Automatic

Video Filters:
All off

Video:
Codec: H.264
Framerate: Same as source
Quality: Constant (RF:20)

Audio:
Codec: AC3 (ffmpeg)
Mixdown: 6ch Discrete
Samplerate: Auto
Bitrate: 128

Advanced:
Everything left at default

My problem lies with some rips looking quite blocky, and some just not finishing! For example, a 1hr 50m film I ripped today said "encode finished" but it had only actually encoded 1hr 35m so 15 minutes were missing. :banghead:

Can you give a list of the options you're using please?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Right,

My settings will depend on the source material. Generally I don't touch anything in the "Picture" tab.

On Video Filters, I'll do a preview with none of them checked to see what it looks like. Generally if it is an interlaced source, I'll check the Detelecine and Decomb boxes making them "default", rather than the deinterlace, as I personally think the results look a little better and it rips quicker. However, if it all looks absolutely fine, no interlacing or combing then I leave them off.

On the Video tab, H.264 encoding, Framerate same as source, constant quality - I usually go for "21".

Audio - if the original is 5.1, and I want to keep 5.1, I just use passthru, otherwise I use AAC (faac) and encode to stereo.

I usually rip straight from the DVD rather than copying the dvd to the comp first.

I make mine MKV's too.

Don't know why you are getting the encodes stopping in the middle. Makes no sense to me!
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Thanks degeneration.

I've been playing around with the settings and I'm starting to get the hang of it. One thing I don't like is that encodes done by Handbrake seem to have really long seek times when I play them in XBMC. If I try to skip forward 30 seconds, it takes a couple of seconds to skip forward. It isn't like that on Xvid / Divx rips.

I do like the fact that I can rip both the film audio track and Bey Logan's commentaries from my HKL discs though. :)

Subtitle support is lacking. I followed this guide to allow me to create and mux SRT files into the MKV rather than using VobSubs. VobSubs look awful!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

One problem with ripping the DVD in the guide mentioned above is that chapter markers are removed when ripping in IFO stream mode for some reason. This doesn't really bother me as I rarely use chapter skip anyway.

I've found an awesome program called "mkvtoolnix" which allows you to demux, edit and remux MKV files. I've used it to actually name the audio tracks inside the MKV, so for example, I've just ripped Dragons Forever HKL and it contains:

Video 1: H.264
Audio 1: Cantonese stereo AC3 128Kbps
Audio 2: Audio Commentary MP3 96Kbps
Subtitles: English SRT

All of this fits inside a 1.15GB file which looks very close to the original on my TV. I'm very happy with this so I'll be using this method from now on! :D
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

I use that mkvtoolnix to add subtitles that I can burn in sometimes.

If I've got a film that has a separate subtitle track (.srt or something) I can add it in using handbrake, but I can't burn them on the print, which is what I prefer. However, if I use mkvtoolnix to make an mkv file with the original video and audio and add the subtitles, then use handbrake to encode the resulting mkv file, I can then burn in the subs.

I also use it if I have got 2 versions of the same filme and one is not the picture quality I want, but has the audio track I want, and the other is the picture quality I want but not the audio track.

I don't think I've had that seek time problem that I'm aware of, however, I rarely seek or fastforward any of my files, so I may just be missing it. Maybe it is something specific to the h.264 codec, or just handbrake. I just find handbrake really easy to use. When I'm ripping a TV series, I can queue each episodes rip and just go away and leave it.

but I've been very happy with the way it has all worked out for me. I've got about 500GB of my 2TB left, so still room for getting some more stuff, but even if I don't get anything else, I've still got enough on there that I won't have watched it all by this time next year!
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I'm having great success ripping films now!

For my HKL collection, I'm ripping with these settings:

Picture:
- Width: 720, Height: auto
- "Keep Aspect Ratio" ticked
- Anamorphic: None
- Modulus: 16

Video Filters:
- All off

Video:
Codec: H.264
Framerate: Same as source
Quality: Constant (RF:20)

Audio:
Track 1: AC3 (ffmpeg) Stereo Auto 128
Track 2: MP3 (lame) Mono Auto 96

Subtitles:
English SRT set as default and soft-coded

Chapters:
None (this is what was slowing down seek time in XBMC)

Advanced:
All at default settings

Once I've created the MKV I use mkvmerge to rename the video, audio and subtitle tracks. This takes about a minute to do so is no big deal, and it means XBMC and VLC can then tell me exactly which audio track is which.

The result is a single MKV with high quality video (virtually indistinguishable from the source DVD), film audio track in AC3 stereo, Bey Logan's commentary track, and soft subtitles, all at around 1GB per film. Awesome stuff!

Once the files are scraped and added to the XBMC library, all the artwork is added from http://www.themoviedb.org/. The only thing is, I wish there were more of the HKL covers on that site rather than the foreign ones (Dutch? French?) that they have.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

I use the IMDB film scraper rather than the ThemovieDB one, mainly cause when it brings up the film's rating, on themoviedv it is from like 20 votes, whereas teh imdb rating is based on much more votes.

But the IMDB scraper also allows to download covers from themoviedb as well, so figure you get the best of both worlds.

If you find a better cover, it probably is possible to add it to themoviedb?

Or if you have it downloaded to your machine, you can manually set it as the cover you want.

What skin you using on XBMC? I'm using Aeon Nox. I like how simple and clean it is. Enough options to give what I want, and make it look good, but not too much so that it is bogged down and cluttered.

I've ripped all my dvds now, and think I kept all the chapter tags. Hopefully the seek time problem you mention won't bother if/when I notice it!!
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Ah, maybe I should've done that. I think mine came up with TMDB as the first option so I just went with that, since it's open source. Sometimes the ratings are stupid or simply missing on some of my films. I don't know that I can be bothered to rebuild my library using the IMDB scraper though!

I think with TMDB you can add your own covers if you have an account, which I might consider doing as I'm sure I've got some high-res JPEGs of a lot of the HKL cover art somewhere.

I use the Confluence skin as I find it works perfectly for what I need. I've checked out some others from the official repository but they never seem... "complete" to me.

I've ripped 10 DVDs so far... Now that I've found the settings that work best for me I'm sure I'll get a lot more done! I can rip them to a portable HDD then use one of my spare test PCs at work to get some more ripping done while my home PC works through a queue - good ol' Handbrake!

Only about 400 DVDs to go...!

By the way, have you tried the XBMC 11.0 Eden beta yet?
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

No, not tried any of the Eden builds yet. Waiting until the final version is released, mainly cause IF there is any problems or bugs, I don't want to risk rescanning my entire collection again!

Not read up too much on what improvements and new features there are going to be with Eden. cause I've got it all doing things as I like it at the moment, I'll wait and see if I want to upgrade. No doubt I probably will, but why rock the boat if it is all working!!

I am using a patch build on Dharma though that allows dual audio output, so I've got audio being output by both hdmi and optical.

If you change your scraper to the IMDB one, I think it will just download info for all subsequent additions, rather than rescanning everything that is already there... I think.

I also use thetvDB and have added a few things there where they had some omissions.