Japanese Splatter and Zombies: Part Deux

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Re: Japanese Splatter and Zombies: Part Deux

Post by Guro Taku »

UK label Terracotta will release Shinichi Fukazawa's BLOODY MUSCLE BODY BUILDER IN HELL (2009) on DVD April 24th. In a rather amusing twist, the cover artwork for this Japanese EVIL DEAD hommage was commissioned from Graham Humphreys, who was responsible of EVIL DEAD's original UK poster back in the day.

After a surprise phone call interrupts his daily workout, beefy body builder Shinji agrees to meet his photojournalist ex-girlfriend to help with her research on haunted houses. Accompanied by a professional psychic, they visit an abandoned house once owned by Shinji s father. But inside the house a dark secret lingers and they find themselves trapped and tormented by a relentless ghost with a 30 year grudge...

Japanese Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPsnIpiXu5Qp
UK Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByoHoxTStmg
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Trailer for ST. ZOMBIE GIRL'S HIGH SCHOOL, written by Jun Tsugita and directed by Kazuhisa Yusa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzihnbddmjA

The 77 minute flick also played Yubari this year. The summary from Yubari's site goes like this:

A new type of virus makes “GIMP", the dead that eats human flesh, which results in leading 99 percent of human in the world ruined. In a school surrounded by fences against Gimps, seven girls lead school lives. The girls are the hope for the human; Nonoka, Moe, Emiri, Nagi, Akari, Karin and Miyu. They are only taught how to fight against Gimps, not knowing the world outside of the school and other than their teachers. However, the nightmare Momoka had have gradually been changing their lives. One day, Moe gets bitten by a Gimp during their training. This incident triggers Nonoka to have distrust for the school. Confliction with the school principal. In the end of the battle,finally, the girls will learn the fearful truth....!

Apparently the print screened at Yubari had English subs (I don't think this is very common practice there but a regular attendee should be able to clarify), which leads me to think they will try to pimp this to foreign festivals and distributors.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Guro Taku wrote: Apparently the print screened at Yubari had English subs (I don't think this is very common practice there but a regular attendee should be able to clarify), which leads me to think they will try to pimp this to foreign festivals and distributors.
You are mistaken, sir. 90-95% of the stuff screened in Yubari has English subs. Off Theater Competition, Short Film Competition, Forecast (aka Yubari Choise), and Forbidden Zone sections all have English subs. Official Invitation (mainstream advance screenings of films about to open in theaters) also usually have English subs if the spoken language is Japanese, otherwise (e.g. Korean films) not. Special program held by third parties (e.g. Nishimura events) may or may not have subs.

ST. ZOMBIE GIRL'S HIGH SCHOOL screened in Forecast selection and hence had subs.

I saw Yusa's earlier film, Dream Theater (w Asami), which was pretty poor. Practical effects and all, but just not well made cinema. This guy directing a zombie idol action film (in the year 2017) sounded a bit more than I could handle, hence I saved myself from the suffering.

edit: corrected a 1000 typos and mistakes
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Goddammit, and here I thought I had an excuse for never attending! :lol:

But yeah, ST. ZOMBIE GIRL'S HIGH SCHOOL looks atrocious and I wouldn't watch it even if it played a local festival.

Another Japanese zombie flick from 2012, Naoyoshi Kawamatsu's UNDERTAKER, recently got an English subtitled DVD release from German label Midori Impuls:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I93ZpP-s8Us

The film currently holds a 1.6 rating at the IMDB. Make of that what you will!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Well, I'm happy you didn't attend this year because it was the worst Yubari ever (from the 5 I have attended). In the recent years the program has been getting worse and the side program less wild as well (it's been three years since the last time I saw a topless woman in Yubari :lol: ). It's still a cool fest, but it used to be a lot cooler some years ago.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Naoyuki Tomomatsu made another RAPE ZOMBIE flick:

This one's titled RAPE ZOMBIE GAIDEN: HARDCORE OF THE DEAD and will be available both individually and as a box set with the previous 5 entries in the saga come October 4th.

Here's a trailer, which actually shows off some practical gore effects amidst all the rigor mortis humping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTfhptUFF8E
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Music video/trailer for Kousuke Katakura's NEO KESSHITAI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsg2G3EPrKk
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

BRUTAL by Takashi Hirose looks like it should fit in this thread. The film is a love story between male and a female serial killers. Asami has a small role in this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt4JTk7pfGM

Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Mukuro Trilogy (Japan, 2015) [DVD] - 3/5

A compilation of 3 short films by Katsumi Sasaki. The first short is called Apartment Inferno and is about two sick fucks who specialize in corpse disposal. While one guy is clearly the seasoned leader, his young underling is new to the job and not quite ready for this kind of thing. Never less so then when he discovers that the corpse disposal also involves a woman chained up next to a toilet, who has to chop up the dead bodies and flush them down bit by bit. The second short is called Sweet Home Inferno and deals with a family that has come under the influence of a new-agey guru. They become convinced that their teenaged problem child daughter is possessed by a demon and needs and exorcism - a ritualized beating that eventually goes even further. But not to worry, the guru tells them, the day of resurrection shall come... And so it does, as the previously dismembered daughter comes back from the dead as a superpowered zombie goddess and rips/blows everyone to pieces in what is a very obvious but nonetheless fun endictement of sectarian fanaticism and madness. The final short is called Just Like A Mother and concerns a young mother and her daughter separating after the latter finishes school. Some time later the daughter gets a phone call telling her of an accident her mother's been in. But when she arrives at the address she was given she quickly discovers that her mother has been imprisoned by a trio of lowlife rapists, who feed her roadkill whenever they don't take turns raping her. Clearly the intention is to enlarge their rape-stable but unluckily for these dudes the mother snaps out of her catatonia and is quickly joined by her daughter in massacring the villains.

A common theme here is clearly the female protagonists that despite all the mistreatments they suffer always come out on top at the end. All three shorts run between 15 and 25 minutes and come with a rock soundtrack. Most importantly, there is no single bit of CGI to be found here. All the effects are 100% practical and were handled by Yoshinari Dohi, who has previously worked for Takashi Miike (The Great Yokai War), Yoshihiro Nishimura (Meatball Machine: Reject of Death) and Daisuke Yamanouchi (Bonded by Sorrow). Sasaki has already a couple other projects in the can with titles like Dead Cook and Devote to Spring and I'm eager to check them out. It'll be interesting to see how he handles longer narratives.

Apartment Inferno:

Sweet Home Inferno:

Just Like A Mother:

Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

No less than two sequels to director Hiroki Yamaguchi's Bloody Chainsaw Girl (血まみれスケバンチェーンソー) ( 2016) are hitting Japanese 4DX theaters on February 22nd.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtLqUJHPKo

I'm sure they'll be just as cerebrally stimulating as the first film.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Full Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOWBJcri-W8

According to Sasa Handa, who has a role in the film(s), the 4DX is basically the seats vibrating every time she revvs her chainsaw and water sprinklers coming on every time there's a blood spray effect. I guess there are people who think that sort of thing is "fun"? :dontknow:

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Guro Taku wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 17:18 According to Sasa Handa, who has a role in the film(s), the 4DX is basically the seats vibrating every time she revvs her chainsaw and water sprinklers coming on every time there's a blood spray effect. I guess there are people who think that sort of thing is "fun"? :dontknow:
Beats me. I never attended a 4DX screening because I didn't see why on earth I'd want water on my face and vibrating seats while I watch a movie. I pay for the opposite kind of experience...
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Guro Taku wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 19:39Another Japanese zombie flick from 2012, Naoyoshi Kawamatsu's UNDERTAKER, recently got an English subtitled DVD release from German label Midori Impuls.The film currently holds a 1.6 rating at the IMDB. Make of that what you will!
This one's getting a BD release in the US on October 29th from Synapse:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25639
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

In case anyone missed it, there was a successful crowd funding in Japan a few weeks ago to get Evil Dead Trap 1&2 on Blu-Ray.
- https://motion-gallery.net/projects/cinema_donuts-001

The BDs will feature English subs.

A Japanese staff member also said that Synapse were waiting for the results of the campaign... now that it was successful, I assume Synapse might also put these out in the US.