Any Dream will do

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Any Dream will do

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Aye anyone watch the first episode? It's the followup to last year's hunt for Maria.

I swear, theatre blokes are more emotional than their female counterparts.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

I think the first person to be voted off out of the final 12 was the right choice. At the moment, I'm thinking that Lee is a strong contender. Johndeep is talented but milking his dodgy story about his folks not knowing that he sings. Want Keith to do well - represent Scotland.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I watched this... I like talent shows when there's actual talent involved.

The right guy was voted off. He was crap and arrogant.

Seamus gave the best performance.

Highlight was spotting the gorgeous Siobhan in the audience.

Johndeep was second worst for me. It's one thing being gay another singing gay. He was as camp as a row of tents.
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

Lee and Seamus are probably the best choice, they have talent and look the part...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I missed this episode. :(
Do you mean Siobhan from "Maria" Mark?
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Is there any other? :wink:
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Aye Johndeep's out. Not his strongest week at all. Although he wasn't going to win, I thought that Ben and Daniel were a lot worse. My fav's Lee atm.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

My bottom two were Johndeep and Ben. Johndeep is so hilariously camp he made me laugh and Ben was all over the place with his acting and vocals.

Surprised Chris was voted bottom. He's bland, but pretty competant.

The panel seem to have it in for Seamus, even criticising his acting as nerves(!) He has that star quality others lack (Rob the Builder is like a karaoke brickie).

Thought Keith was good too.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I saw the end of this programme the other evening, and it was the gayest thing I'd ever seen.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I missed Saturday's programme - all I saw were clips of them singing pop songs - Daniel Powter's "Bad Day" etc - :?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

gasteropod wrote:I saw the end of this programme the other evening, and it was the gayest thing I'd ever seen.
Lol, it is very camp. But then musical theatre is by its nature. As long as it's entertaining I don't mind. I'd rather watch this than the Grease show.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Markgway wrote:My bottom two were Johndeep and Ben. Johndeep is so hilariously camp he made me laugh and Ben was all over the place with his acting and vocals.

Surprised Chris was voted bottom. He's bland, but pretty competant.

The panel seem to have it in for Seamus, even criticising his acting as nerves(!) He has that star quality others lack (Rob the Builder is like a karaoke brickie).

Thought Keith was good too.
The Grease show is such a poor rip-off. 100% shite. No talent whatsoever.

I'm not a fan of Seamus but it's more to do with his personality, as opposed to his capability (which fair enough is quite a redundant point).
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Antony was right to go eh? His vocals were waaaaaaaay off.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Didn't think Seamus would go so early but he talks back, even after defeat.

I personally wanted Craig (the Scottish one) to go.
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

i can see why they got rid of Seamus. he's arrogant and obnoxious and doesnt work as part of a team, i can understand their worries that he wouldnt work as part of the company if he became Joseph
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Before tonight there were two performers who could seriously be the star of 'Joseph'.

One has now been voted off: Seamus.

The fact that he polled last shows what a bunch of tone-deaf bell-ends the audience are and even though Ben did well tonight The Lord made a huge mistake saving him instead of Seamus. He will come to regret that I'm sure.

Seamus mumbled something about "conspiracy theory" and whilst most may put that down to sour grapes... just how many times did they go on and on about his age. Every week he was powerful and yet the panel were unsupportive talking about teamwork and such. It's casting for the lead in a West End show not a playgroup supervisor. How many divas do you think are already heading productions in London (and from what I've read John Barrowman is one of them).

The other potential star is Lee. Frankly he's the only one left who can do it. If he gets voted off then we won't see a repeat of 'The Sound of Music' success we'll see a commerical and critical disaster.

Other than that..........................

Anthony stank. His off-key vocals almost made me choke.
Craig is bland as hell.
Chris stinks. He's way too camp and there are coma patients with more charisma.
Keith is fun to watch... but a future star? I think not.
Rob (the Builder) was better than usual but he's still a singing brickie who belongs in a Karaoke challenge.
Ben has also improved and this week didn't deserve to be in the bottom two.
Daniel I don't get. What does the panel see in him? I haven't rated him since week one.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

To be fair, I thought Daniel did give a good show-stopper performance. But I agree, I think he's overrated somewhat.

I did think it was a shame mentioning Seamus' age each and every week. And he's a great performer too. Maybe that's what caused him to behave like the way he did - a bit of isolation from the other members. I think the audience didn't vote for him due to the reasons Shen mentioned. He was never going to win it though but it was a shock to see him leave so soon. I still want Lee to win.

I'd like to see Craig off next week - his performances offend me tbh.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Anthony was rubbish, wasn't he the one who samg Take That's "Patience"? His falsetto was terrible.
I thought Seamus was good, his "I Don't Wanna Talk About It" was lovely :)
The final performance by Anthony (the young guy) (?) at the end was an OK effort I thought.
But if he (Seamus) already has musical experience (been a West End understudy or whatever) what is he doing on this show? :?
Mark I know what you mean, but he'll have to act/work with the other performers too (what about all his brothers?) and not be too up his own arse/arrogant. It can work both ways :)
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

Grim, it was Lee who was the west end understudy...theres a huge difference between being an understudy and a leading star. i donut see a problem with him being in this show, i mean this would be his big brake, and lets face it, he's good and he has to looks and talent to be Joseph. Far more than many of the others in the show.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks Shen :) I forgot who it was :)

Fair enough but he still has more experience than the others do.
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

but then by that reasoning Seamus shouldn't of been in because he was a singing teacher, and others who have had training in singing and acting because "they have more experience"
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I didnt know Seamus was a singing teacher.
I dunno, its a bit like Leona on X factor really, lots of training, why do they go on that sort of programme to get noticed? If theyre that good, someone will notice them :?
Having said that, its not just about the "voice" you have to be able to act as well, and also as John likes to say "sell the meaning of the song" (or something like that).
It's up to them though ;) You can of course reach more people through TV I guess. :)
The thing about the voting is that the people who vote aren't "necessarily" the ones who would go to see the show and enjoy musicals. Most times the sympathy vote wins :roll:
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

the problem is, thats not always true. the west end i feel is a dying area. how many young people care to go see a theater production? sometimes such shows are the only way to kick-start your career or get noticed and be able to do bigger and better things.
i must admit i have never seen a live play, though i really wish too, and I'm looking at taking my mother to see this Joseph when it comes out.

even with singing, some of these busker's on the streets are fantastic, far far far better than many in the charts but will never get noticed because they aren't plastic enough, or because people just don't give a damn. as much as i generally dislike these shows, ALW at least has some class. i never got the whole public humiliation thing. which for me is what X-Factor is about because the judges are just mean and churn out plastic people, sadly the good talent that is there usually get voted off.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Grim: Seamus sang 'Start Me Up' by The Rolling Stones.

Not the best choice of song perhaps but he would have been my choice for Joseph if I had to pick.

I believe ageism played a part. It's like they were trying to get the guy voted out by mentioning it all the time and showing only clips of him "being arrogant" and yet the others in a squeaky clean nicey-nicey light. All of these "reality" shows are manipulative and sometimes the wrong people get voted out because of it.

Remember a couple of years back when Brenda should've won The X-Factor but was voted out before the final because they wanted a pin-up popster rather than an overweight 40 yr-old black soul diva.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

That's a damn good point Mark. Well observed.