Big Brother 2007

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Big Brother 2007

Post by gasteropod »

It doesn't appear that there is a topic for this year's Big Bro, but anyway:

Emily has been removed from the Big Brother house due to calling Charley a nigger! http://www.channel4.com/bigbrother/news ... sp?id=3201
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

In other news, the Aussie Big Brother broadcasters are being cruel to one of their contestants:-
The Australian version of the TV programme Big Brother has come under criticism for deciding not to tell a contestant that her father had died.
Emma Cornell has been cut off from the outside world since entering the reality TV show's house a month ago.
She still does not know that her father Raymond died of cancer last week.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

That was really, really mean IMO.
As for the n-word insult, OK it is hurtful/disrespectful, but Charley said he wasnt offended (although shocked), I guess Emily must have apologised, so that should be that (IMO), if it was only one word.
Otherwise we will end up with something like the Shilpa Shetty incident on CBB.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That was harsh but I guess as they had the discussion before hand and she agreed not to be told it's fair enough.

As for the UK news I hear she said "Are you pushing it out, you nigger?" in response to her dancing. Now if she meant it in the context of "My Nigga" then obviously it's still out of order but not racist as such.

BUT it's one thing to say it to a white person but completely stupid and different to a black person. Channel 4 definitely did the right thing and fair from surprising considering the enormous trouble they got into last time for not doing enough to prevent it.

If they hadn't evicted her Ofcom would've had a field day. I may have to end up watching tonight's episode now :D

p.s - It does show how utterly ignorant many of the public are. Surely she must've known how stupid it was in the current Big Brother climate.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Shut up you honkey!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D

I agree Brad, its right she went out, don't get me wrong and its good C4 acted on it so fast. They dont want a repeat of last year.
Completely stupid thing to say even if she meant it like "my nigga" (she seemed to say it was a joke), not very funny though even so :roll:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Some people just like moaning, some are moaning they aired the word. Get over yourself.
Last edited by bradavon on 08 Jun 2007, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Me, why? :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Not you silly ;), have you been meaning they aired the footage?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

She was heard to say it, but I dont know why C4 waited til 3am to evict her.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Well it would have taken a lot of discussion about it, I thought they did it pretty swiftly.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yep they needed to give it some proper thought to come to a decision.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

OK fair enough.
She apologised for it, she probably meant it like nigga or something, like we call each other mate or whatever. She probably didnt mean to cause offence, but she shouldnt have been so daft to use the word. Its like Jackie in Rush Hour.
But as Mordib said, blacks calling each other niggas turns the word from an offensive word into a self mocking one.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I don't think it's as much 'self-mocking' as simply turning the word from a negative one into a positive one. Ever seen the episode of The Simpsons where Homer is complaining about homosexual people calling each other fags? Same thing.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Typical overreaction.

Why don't they take the honky bitch out and flog her?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Is that the "Homer's Phobia" one Gasteropod?

That's funny :D Homer: And another thing, I resent YOU using that word queer. Thats OUR word for making fun of YOU!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Typical overreaction.
In a way yes BUT Channel 4 got in so much trouble last time they really had no choice but to be as harsh as possible.

Even so it was a stupid thing for her to do and why even use the word? I don't get that. I'd never use it, even if it was meant as a joke, it's just a phrase like "Fuck Off" I wouldn't use on a day to day basis. I only use the latter when I'm really angry.

Ironically people do use Nigger in jest more than they ever have and even many black rappers use it as a plus, not a minus. Which of course interestingly if she were Black I doubt he'd have been evicted.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:Is that the "Homer's Phobia" one Gasteropod?

That's funny :D Homer: And another thing, I resent YOU using that word queer. Thats OUR word for making fun of YOU!
Yeah, haha :)

'You took all our best straight names! Justin, Lance, etc!' Bless him.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Which of course interestingly if she were Black I doubt he'd have been evicted.
She'd probably have been given her own show.

I don't watch BB - never have - but from what I read it's obvious that the white girl was trying to be ironic and not offensive and any person with a brain (which naturally excludes all Channel 4 execs) should take that into account. I'm not saying she SHOULD have said it but I don't see what the big deal is over a minor blip. Racism is of course a terrible thing but over the last 20 years the politically correct have done everything possible to turn this issue into a hysterical joke. If you look at someone the wrong way you're a racist as long as the "victim" perceives it to be racist. How dare these morons compare this to what real victis of racism suffer and have suffered in the past. Remember when black people couldn't sit at the front of the bus? That's racism not some silly girl trying to appear hip to her new black friend.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Markgway wrote:I don't watch BB - never have -
Yet you can't get enough of the pop idol format reality shows. Irony in excelsis deo.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

6 months ago they'd not have chucked her, in fact they didn't, one of the previous contestents talked of two previous incidents (one the nigger word) which weren't aired.

But like I said they had to in today's climate, so shortly after getting a massive bashing by Ofcom. It had nothing to do with zero brain cells just the worry they'd get in trouble again. They had to act swiftly and show a complete zero tolerance approach.

Blame the public for complaining to Ofcom if you want to complain to someone. It's the public who keep saying all this is racist, of which I happen to think it is racist (from a technical point of view).

As for watching BB I'll admit to loving last series CBB but the normal BB is dull as dishwater. I'll again admit to see a few minutes of it but after that it gets so dull, how anyone can watch an entire episode it beyond me. Nothing happens, yet somehow that's supposed to be the attraction.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Zero tolerance - is that why they aired the footage uncut?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

EvaUnit02 wrote:
Markgway wrote:I don't watch BB - never have -
Yet you can't get enough of the pop idol format reality shows. Irony in excelsis deo.
Not really. I like talent shows. Big Brother is not a talent show by any stretch of the imagination. If you can't see the difference then that's your problem.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

If the word "nigger" is offensive (which it is) why was Charley allowed to say it and not get a warning or something?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:If the word "nigger" is offensive (which it is) why was Charley allowed to say it and not get a warning or something?
Cuz the media are always hunting for the next controversial story to move papers. Media exposure brings it to the attention of the greater public and then nigras and liberal douchebags cry blue murder and demand their pound of flesh. The network is then forced to play Pontius Pilate and serve up the woman for the angry mob.