What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Xenon
Pedicab Driver

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by Xenon »

Markgway wrote:48 Hrs. (1982-USA) **½

The original buddy cop movie.
What about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_Busters ?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:Did Sho Kosugi ever make a good movie?
Pray For Death is ace.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:
Pray For Death is ace.
It's not terrible.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Hoax (2006-USA) ***

Absorbing tale of an ambitious author who sold a fake autobiography of Howard Hughes to publishers for $1m. I enjoyed this more than I expected. Richard Gere is excellent.

The Man who Loved Cat Dancing (1973-USA) **

Sappy and saggy western with Burt Reynolds. A late twist regarding Burt's outlaw character makes it impossible to sympathise with him.
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

Markgway wrote:
brooce-leroy wrote:I think Lethal Weapon has to be the benchmark, as technically, Murphy's Reggie Hammond is a criminal. :)
He acts like a cop though.
Oh well, that's all right then..
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

Enter The Ninja.

And if you count supporting roles or cameo appearances....

Ninja Assassin - I know it could have been a lot better, but I like it.

Blind Fury
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Blind Fury was OK, but Enter the Ninja is pants.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Ugly Truth (2009-USA) **

Crude battle of the sexes comedy made bearable by two charismatic stars. They've been doing this sort of thing in Hollywood since Cary Grant's heyday (only minus the copious f-words and masturbation references).

The Wicked Lady (1982-UK) **½

Michael Winner's notorious remake of 1945 British classic is a fun romp with lashings (literally) of gratuitous nudity and violence. Faye Dunaway has a twinkle in her eye as the titular bitch and the whole film is amusingly tongue in cheek (many snobbish critics seemed to miss that point).

The Artist (2011-France-Belgium) ***

Extremely well-crafted tribute to silent cinema gets the tone, style, acting, and period details spot on. As entertainment it's only slightly less successful (the silent treatment is a handicap). The attempted suicide is too intense for a PG cert, so not for kids, even though the rest of the film is fine
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:The Artist (2011-France-Belgium) ***
As entertainment it's only slightly less successful (the silent treatment is a handicap).
How do you mean?
Markgway wrote:The Artist (2011-France-Belgium) ***The attempted suicide is too intense for a PG cert, so not for kids, even though the rest of the film is fine
That is a tricky one, probably 12A affair but it's not graphic and 12 is a rather different certificate to 12A. Would I prefer PG or 12 for a home release on this one, definitely PG. It's mostly very light indeed.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:How do you mean?
I'm not a fan of silent cinema (though it works fine for slapstick comedies). I was engaged by The Artist but only as a one off. I wouldn't want to see more of the same.
That is a tricky one, probably 12A affair but it's not graphic and 12 is a rather different certificate to 12A. Would I prefer PG or 12 for a home release on this one, definitely PG. It's mostly very light indeed.
Can't say I agree. A 'PG' should only contain mild violence or threat and a depressed man sticking a gun in his movie goes beyond mild. Of course it isn't graphic, but it is too intense (at one point we're led to believe that he has pulled the trigger, which would've upset me as a child). Frankly I would've given this a '15' over a 'PG'. Just because the majority of the film is 'light' doesn't reduce the impact of the scene in question. I was genuinely surprised and checked the BBFC website for confirmation. As usual the film contradicts what they BBFC have to say on the matter. I see little point in the BBFC having guidelines when they clearly ignore them or bend them to suit their decision. Also I don't see any real world difference between a 12 and a 12A (the only reason there's no 12A on video is because the advisory aspect is unworkable).

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AFF284207/
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Outland 3/5 Entertaining early 80's sci-fi actioner with Sean Connery on fine form as a marshal on Jupiter investigating strange deaths of mining employees on there.After the shoddy dvd the BD is quite a revelation.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - 3.5/5

It was good, not too dissimilar to the others to be honest.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Raw Deal: 2/5

Not one of Arnie's best. Has a good Arnie-ism ("You should not drink and bake!") and an old school violent finale, but Commando was a lot more fun (in Raw Deal they even rip off the "tooling up" bit from Commando).
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Hard To Kill 3.5/5 Lean mean actioner features Seagal pretty much at his zenith..an extra 1/2 star for his character being named Mason Storm :cool: the BD looks very good.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:Hard To Kill 3.5/5 Lean mean actioner features Seagal pretty much at his zenith..an extra 1/2 star for his character being named Mason Storm :cool: the BD looks very good.
Seagal at his zenith:

http://www.popscreen.com/v/67Y5s/Steven ... n-ASNI2008
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Love the bit the pool ball in the sock :lol:
The whole scene is lots of fun :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

City Slickers (1991-USA) ***½

Perceptive comedy-drama with unusual depth and insight and many real laughs.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Uninvited (2008-USA-Canada-Germany) **

Standard psycho-chiller isn't without interest... but nor is it satisfying. If you've seen A Tale of Two Sisters you already know the twist (which I'd forgotten).
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Raw Deal (1986-USA) **½

Solidly entertaining Schwarzenegger vehicle.

Too many flaws though for it to be considered a genre classic.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I gave it 2/5, had some OK bits but certainly not his best.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I'm not a fan of silent cinema (though it works fine for slapstick comedies). I was engaged by The Artist but only as a one off. I wouldn't want to see more of the same.
That doesn't make it a handicap but fair enough, I take your point.
Markgway wrote:Frankly I would've given this a '15' over a 'PG'.
15! Bloody hell that would be well Over The Top.
Markgway wrote:Also I don't see any real world difference between a 12 and a 12A (the only reason there's no 12A on video is because the advisory aspect is unworkable).
Under 12s can legally see a film considered by the BBFC only suitable for 12 years or older if it's 12A. A 12 rating they cannot.

Your reasons for citing it as intense are why PG is suitable, U is not. It's down to the parental guidance to judge, which has always struck me as a little odd unless the BBFC is expecting adults to watch a film twice, which most don't.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:15! Bloody hell that would be well Over The Top.
A '12' would've been fine. The film was a PG-13 in the US because of that scene.
Under 12s can legally see a film considered by the BBFC only suitable for 12 years or older if it's 12A. A 12 rating they cannot.
I'm not sure what your point is? The advisory aspect makes no difference in terms of which films are given 12A certificates. Every film given a 12 in the past (ie. Batman) would also be given a 12A if released now. In terms of content they're the same rating; only the practice is different (parents can now take under 12s into films which are blatantly unsuitable for them). On video advisories are unworkable.
Your reasons for citing it as intense are why PG is suitable, U is not. It's down to the parental guidance to judge, which has always struck me as a little odd unless the BBFC is expecting adults to watch a film twice, which most don't.
I don't know of any parent who watches a 'PG' first to see if it's suitable for their kid. As far as the vast majority of parents are concerned a 'PG' means suitable for kids and the BBFC are well aware of that. My argument is that not all of The Artist is suitable for kids. A 'U' cert should mean no contentious content. A 'PG' some MILD contentious material. IMO a depressed man sticking a gun in his mouth (with the added implication at one point that he's pulled the trigger) goes beyond MILD into moderate threat. Hence a 12/12A is the more apt rating. Put it another way if I was watching The Artist with a child under 12 I wouldn't have been happy about that scene.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Up in the Air (2009-USA) ***

Bittersweet comedy-drama. I liked it.... but would've changed the ending.

It should have ended with Anna Kendrick firing George Clooney - the dinosaur - on videochat

Loverboy (1989-USA) **½

Amusing 80s farce about a pizza delivery boy who sleeps with bored, rich housewives to fund his college tuition.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Raw Deal is pretty rubbish. I was about to say it must be an early Schwarzenegger movie but shockingly it came after Conan the Barbarian and The Terminator. The script is dreadful and it looks like Schwarzenegger is struggling with the language.
Xenon
Pedicab Driver

Post by Xenon »

bradavon wrote:looks like Schwarzenegger is struggling with the language.
So you both have something in common, eh? :lol: