Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by Markgway »

Brad loves Red Heat.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Rampart (2011-USA) *

Ugly Bad Lieutenant wannabe masquerades as a police courrption drama but is no more than a rambling and pointless character study that wastes an interesting cast and doesn't even bother with an ending.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Red Heat (1988): 3.5/5

More entertaining than Raw Deal, also the political situation makes things a bit more interesting - although the characters of Arnie and Belushi are in their own ways generic stereotypes. Some good scenes and lines though, and watch for a young Gina Gershon as the baddie's wife.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Xenon wrote:So you both have something in common, eh? :lol:
My professional life says otherwise.
Markgway wrote:Brad loves Red Heat.
I wouldn't go that far but it's better than Running Man, Total Recall (although that is good too) and certainly better than Commando and Last Action Hero.
grim_tales wrote:Red Heat (1988): 3.5/5
although the characters of Arnie and Belushi are in their own ways generic stereotypes.
No more so than many of Arnie's other films. 3.5 out of 5 is a far rating.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Red Heat (1988): 3.5/5

More entertaining than Raw Deal.
Bradavon wrote:I wouldn't go that far but it's better than Running Man, Total Recall (although that is good too) and certainly better than Commando and Last Action Hero.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

It's nowhere near as good as Total Recall or Commando! :D :roll: :o
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Envy (2003-USA-Australia) *
A comedy about disappearing shit!
I'll leave you to make your own jokes.

In the Electric Mist (2009-USA-France) **½
Unusual New Orleans-set murder mystery with a supernatural bent.
Plot is overly convoluted and muddled, not all loose ends are tied, but film has a distinctive atmosphere, and is intriguing all the same.
Tommy Lee Jones is always worth watching and dominates every scene.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

IronMonkey wrote:It's nowhere near as good as Total Recall or Commando! :D :roll: :o
I have to agree with IM. Total Recall is one of Arnie's best and Commando is a cheesy action classic :D Running Man is great fun :D
I still preferred Red Heat to Raw Deal though.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The Human Centipede: First Sequence (Netherlands, 2009) - 3.5/5
All controversy considered, Tom Six's opening instalment in what is now planned as trilogy is a relatively well made horror/exploitation/fantasy. Contrary to the popular belief, the film is not very gory at all, though disturbing, intense, and in parts very scary. While occasionally defying logic (or rather following genre logic to a painful degree), the concept is memorable enough to make the film a minor future classic. The latter is also in part due to German actor Dieter Laser's mad doctor performance. The film is cliched in parts, original in others, and unforgettable as a whole.

okay, The Human Centipede II in cinema this weekend. Don't tell the gf! I'll take her see Batman intead :lol:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

The Woman In Black 3/5 creepy,atmospheric Hammer adaption is preety well done with some decent scares.Disappointingly this uk release has been cut by 6 seconds to garner a 12a rating, (12 for home video) silly as this is far too intense for younger children even accompanied by an adult. this should be uncut & a 15 all the way.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:The Woman In Black 3/5 creepy,atmospheric Hammer adaption is preety well done with some decent scares.Disappointingly this uk release has been cut by 6 seconds to garner a 12a rating, (12 for home video) silly as this is far too intense for younger children even accompanied by an adult. this should be uncut & a 15 all the way.
The BBFC passed an uncut version with a '15' for video. Apparently Studio Canal are holding it back for some reason. Expect a Special edition in six months time. In the mean time you could always download the US: PG-13 version to see what you missed.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Born on the Fourth of July (1989-USA) ***

Second in Oliver Stone's Vietnam trilogy; not as good a film as Platoon, but a great performance from Tom Cruise makes it worth watching.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I agree with Sam's thoughts on The Woman in Black - it was a good creepy film and well made.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Pride and Glory (2007-USA-Germany) ***

Gritty cop corruption drama; some strong scenes, performances.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Raiders of the Lost Ark (USA, 1981) - 5/5
The perfect adventure movie, seen and loved by everyone, so there isn't much to add, except perhaps emphasize the importance of the violence. The film is quite strong with various bloody (though quick) headshots and other disturbing moments. These add the necessary roughness to the adventure to make it an unforgettable, tremendously old fashioned movie aimed at grown up audiences. It's not a children's movie despite the old, somewhat misleading PG-ratings – though, paradoxically/fittingly, will make unforgettable viewing for a kid under parental guidance.

I was 6 years old when I first got to see the film – with my father. I’ve probably seen it 15 times since, most of those at the age of 7-9, after which the film went under temporary “ban” for ”excessive viewing” at our household :lol:

And yes, perhaps Taifu Club aside, the best movie ever made!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence (Netherlands, 2011) – 3.5/5
Dutch genius Tom Six is managed quite censorship favorite with his centipede sequel. The self-ironic horror comedy, presented fully in black & white, follows a mentally disturbed Human Centipede fan who takes notes from Tom Six’s movie and attempts to re-create the fiction in real life. Only he’s no master surgeon, but a mere parking garage guard: the results are messy. Though initially a little bit too humoristic to be truly creepy, the film does manage a rather heart stopping finale that goes to the hall of fame of gore/nihilism cinema. The film is no great art, but has a bit of thought to it, comes with a strong leading performance, and, in fact, looks just a little bit elegant with its black & white cinematography.

On my way to the cinema I was worried I’d be sitting alone in front of the smallest screen. To my great delight the film was playing, at the local multiplex, on the biggest screen, with plenty of audience, including strong female participation. Beautiful! I still have faith in Japanese movie goers!

Oh, and “Movie Sickness Bag” came as a free bonus. Very thoughtful.

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

IronMonkey wrote:It's nowhere near as good as Total Recall or Commando! :D :roll: :o
Oh come on, Total Recall I can see the point but Commando is a joke, a fun joke perhaps but everything about it stinks. At least Red Heat doesn't do that. I've never got why Red Heat gets such a bad rap.

And Red Heat is certainly better than Raw Deal. I can't believe Mark thinks Raw Deal is more entertaining.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Red Heat is fun, but Commando is legendary. It's considered even better than Death Wish III!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Me and my mates watched Commando last night, and were playing 'Spot the Arnie Stunt Double', check out this corker:

And this is from when we watched Eraser the other week:

:lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Why would you want to watch out for the stunt doubles? Just enjoy the movie. Thanks to this forum, that scene in Terminator 2 on the bike has been literally ruined for me. I never saw it before, now I see it every time!
HungFist wrote:Red Heat is fun
Yet it never even gets a mention, weird.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Why would you want to watch out for the stunt doubles?
Because it's funny!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:Commando is legendary. It's considered even better than Death Wish III!
Whoa. Controversial. :o ;)
bradavon wrote:Why would you want to watch out for the stunt doubles? Just enjoy the movie. Thanks to this forum, that scene in Terminator 2 on the bike has been literally ruined for me. I never saw it before, now I see it every time!
How could you NOT notice? :lol:

Arnie's stunt doubling has always been a problem for some reason.

Here's a shot from True Lies of DANGEROUS GUN-FIRING!

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:How could you NOT notice? :lol:
See you say that but you guys are in the minority for noticing, millions of people watch movies, only a handful notice. So I ask "How COULD you notice?" ;) (being deliberately flippant, no need to actually answer that one).

Besides, like I said, I tend to be watching the movie/getting into the story instead of concentrating on spotting stunt doubles. Maybe if I tried to spot them I would, who knows. Freeze frames don't really prove much because well they're "freeze" frames.
Keung
King of Beggars

Post by Keung »

Arnold doubles are easily spotted, because really, who the fuck else looks like him?
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Keung wrote:Arnold doubles are easily spotted, because really, who the fuck else looks like him?
True dat!!! :D
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)