What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by Markgway »

Donnie Brasco (1997-USA) ***½
Overlooked undercover mob drama; intelligently written and acted.

Dr. No (1962-UK) ***
Bond series gets off to a solid start.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Post by Masterofoneinchpunch »

The Spoilers (1942: Ray Enright)

A nice Alaskan western with a story that has been done at least four times before and one time after. This is the most famous version though. The strength is the acting from the three main stars: Marlene Dietrich, Randolph Scott and John Wayne (surprise John Wayne is third billed and was paid less than those two), the cinematography and the solid direction from Ray Enright (director of one of my favorite underrated westerns Coroner Creek.) The Spoilers was nominated for Academy Award Best Art Direction-Interior Decoration, Black-and-White. It is an interesting contrast to watch the budget for this Universal film versus the much cheaper Republic pictures John Wayne was in at that time. The three main stars would star together again later than year in Pittsburgh.

The plot is decent, but one may wonder why it was remade so many times. It has the basic potential love triangle (funny enough Wayne was having an affair with Dietrich at the time), but also has the surprisingly bad guy role with Randolph Scott. I do not think I have seen a straight-up bad guy role from him before. I do think it was a mistake making him appear to be bad way too early. Because once this fact is known the film goes a bit too much on autopilot.

The most famous aspect of the movie is the several minute fight scene between Scott and Wayne. It is quite good marred by two common issues with fisticuffs scenes during that time period. It should not have used some of the undercranking it did and sometimes the doubles are a bit too obvious. On IMDB it states that Scott broke Wayne’s nose, but I could not corroborate that with some of the books I have on Wayne (and looking this up online.) It also stated that Scott and Wayne did not get along (TCM link below)*, and this has been written at several places. Though they did work together again later that year. I’m a little suspect on some of this. I am reading Scott Eyman’s John Wayne: The Life and Legend book right now and while Wayne has stated a somewhat jealous statement “I never had a build-up by a major studio, like Cooper and Randolph Scott.” he did not seem to have an issue with Scott heading his production of Seven Men From Now. Of course, Eyman’s book, while quite huge, may be lacking in the information.

TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1 ... ilers.html

* Found more information on this in The Films of Randolph Scott by Robert Nott. Nott states that Scott said that some of the blows in the fight were from earnest because of fighting over billing and top role.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015-Australia) **
Massively overrated reboot of the 1980s franchise minimises story and character (never the series strong suit) in favour of CGI-enhanced action set-pieces (at times the film seems almost like one long set piece with pauses). The same could be said of Mad Max 2, but that film had Mel Gibson's charisma and a reality to the stunt work entirely missing here. It's been claimed that much of the stunt work here is practical, but it's impossible to tell given how fake and video game-like everything looks (which excessive colour grading only emphasises). It's all style and no substance (critical talk about a feminist theme is wishful thinking, this is the shallowest of pulp nonsense - a Duran Duran video with hundreds of bonus explosions). Hardy is an adequate, but colourless anti-hero. Theron makes more of an impression as the Alpha-female and will no doubt end up with her own spinoff. I found the first half hour especially tough to endure, so if you make it past that you may derive some enjoyment from the remainder.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Squad (2011-Colombia-Argentina-Spain) **
Bleak, murky psychological horror in which a military unit (who already seem pretty crazy) is left to guard an abandoned base. Crack-ups ensue. Intense, but heavy-going from the outset.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Maggie (2014-USA) **½
Low key indie drama marks a significant (and not unwelcome) change-of-pace for Arnold Schwarzenegger as a farmer who's daughter (Abigail Breslin) is dying from a zombie-like infection. Sensitive, thoughtful, and convincingly acted, but blimey, it's bleak. If you're feeling blue you might wish to watch something more light-hearted... like Judgment at Nuremberg!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Gunman (2015-USA-Spain-UK-France) **½
International spy thriller is competently made, politically aware, but somewhat saggy.
Sean Penn isn't your typical action hero, but this isn't really your typical action movie.
I admire Pierre Morel as a director, but this effort lacks kinetic energy.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

In The Blood 2/5 functional DTV actioner,Gina Carano goes hunting for her new husband,who's disappeared on the way to hospital after falling from a zip ride in the jungle.

Fright 2/5 overwrought but watchable early 70's british thriller.Susan George is the the young babysitter terrorised by a crazed Ian Bannen.good cast including Honor Blackman,George Cole,Dennis Waterman & John Gregson.
working class blu-ray fan
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Ant-Man (2015: Payton Reed)

It has been awhile since I have been to the theater. So it was fun finally getting a chance to catch the latest Marvel film I had not seen (still have not seen the latest Fantastic Four, but might not considering the reviews it received and technically is not part of the Disney/Marvel universe.) I like going in during off hours. Sometimes you get the place to yourself. More often what happens is even if you think you have the place to yourself by the time trailers start, many people start coming in trying to find a spot. If you are lucky they do not sit near you. However, most of the time they pick a spot in front of you, behind you or worst of all to the side of you. Thank goodness no one sat too close.

Paul Rudd as the titular character (also known as Scott Lang) is an apt choice. He is an unassuming, low-key and likable figure who fits the role fine. A shocking early scene shows a younger CGI Michael Douglas (its use reminds me of the skinny, smaller looks of Chris Evans in the first Captain America) who is the first Ant-Man Hank Pym. He is looking for an heir apprentice and finds one in Scott Lang the criminal with a golden heart stereotype.

I like the last half much more than the first half. Maybe I am tired of the origin story or have seen too many of them lately. Maybe it seems too perfunctory here. Maybe the training scenes are just too weak especially to anyone who has been raised watching martial art training displays. If you are only going to learn fighting from one person I would hope that person would have more credentials than the one shown here. While I liked the ant aspects of the training, issues like running through a keyhole are nice, but I would have liked to seen more than what was shown here.

But I found myself getting more into the film as it progressed and past the obligatory plot. The juxtaposition of Ant-Man turning big and little do help create some unique action scenes. The final action sequence was impressive, especially in its use of comedy and an everyday set (just made much larger.) The director does make some mistakes quick cuts and over-movement with the action scenes. I am still a bit ambivalent with the main antagonist Darren Cross (Corey Stoll) who looks like this role could have been substituted with any Mark Strong performance.

There is a mid-credit sequence as well as an after credit sequence. And as you might already know a Stan Lee cameo. Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) originally was supposed to be the director of the film until he parted because of creative differences. He originally wrote the screenplay which a big chunk was supposedly used for the film.

Fans of the Disney/Marvel films will most likely like this (and have most likely have seen this.) It is a nice, funny and decent entry into this ongoing universe. But I do think this is not as good as the second Captain America or Guardians of the Galaxy from the previous year. But I was not expecting it to be.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The DUFF (2015-USA) **½
School-set satire isn't as deep as it thinks it is, but remains pleasant enough viewing for teens. Mae Whitman is an appealing lead.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Psycho (1960-USA) ****
Hitchcock's classic -- what's left to say?

Frailty (2001-USA-Germany) ***
Well-crafted religious-themed shocker marked an auspicious directorial debut for Bill Paxton.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Lost River (USA, 2014) [DCP] - 3/5
An interesting, if flawed, directorial debut by Ryan Gosling. Something dark and mysterious is going on in a half-deserted small town. Harshly, and unfairly, reviewed by many critics, perhaps because Gosling is considered too handsome to be taken seriously as a filmmaker, especially when his first try isn't a world changing masterpiece. It's a technically well made, endlessly strange, and extremely non-commercial film; the kind of movie that usually doesn't enjoy the solid production values this one has. That being said, Gosling does borrow quite a bit from his idols, and the film especially ends up feeling too much like a David Lynch film. Stealing elements is not a problem per se, but stealing an overall atmosphere from such a unique filmmaker is something you can't really get away with. It's still a pretty good and interesting film, though.

Class of 1999 (USA, 1989) [DVD] - 3.5/5
A sequel to Class of 1984, only this time with a sci-fi / post apocalypse twist. Schools have turned into battle grounds, students are armed to the teeth, and the streets are full of Mad Max esque battle vehicles. Enter cyborg teachers designed to take care of the violent students. This is pretty lovely trash with fun action throughout and a great 20 minute finale that is pretty much like Commando in high school. Somehow this film also seems to have better special effects than Terminator: Genisys or Jurassic World (based on their trailers; I haven't seen the films).
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Markgway wrote:Psycho (1960-USA) ****
Hitchcock's classic -- what's left to say?
We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?

What other Hitchcock films would you consider a classic?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?
I wouldn't even harm a fly...
Vertigo and Rear Window.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Markgway wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?
I wouldn't even harm a fly...
Vertigo and Rear Window.
I would agree with that. I would add North by Northwest, possibly Notorious from his American period. From his English period I'm a big fan of The Lady Vanishes. I've seen all of his American films (some many times), but still have a few to go on his existing English and German ones.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Die Screaming Marianne 1/5 dreadful Pete Walker early 70's thriller is an exercise in bland boredom.Susan George looks hot as usual but the film sucks.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Titanic (1997). Returning to this film on BD (I last saw it when people were worried about Y2k!), this is a frustrating piece that prioritises a ficticious, rather unlikeable couple over 1500 real people, many of whom are turned into comic relief, limey bastards, rich twits, noble idiot savants and murderers. The spectacle is undeinably amazing, the music is great (even the song) and David Warner, Kathy Bates and Gloria Stuart are terrific fun, but it could have been so much better.

Funnily enough, I found myself sympathising a lot with Rose's mother (Frances Fisher) this time around. Funny what age does to you.

6/10
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Banlieue 13 (2004-France) ***
Luc Besson-produced actioner boasts kinetic energy a-plenty and at 84m doesn't outstay its welcome. Pierre Morel's directorial debut.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Cop Car 2/5 Two 10 year olds stumble across what seems to be an abandoned police car and decide to take it on a joyride.Unbeknown to them the car belongs to corrupt cop Kevin Bacon who's left the car while he gets rid of a body. Slow moving but interesting and quite a surprising climax.worth watching.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Kill Bill Vol.1 (2003): 4.25/5

An enjoyable cocktail of a movie that I hadnt seen in a long time, it's fun to spot all the scenes and music lifted from different movies (notably Lady Snowblood), and other references like the Shaw Bros. logo at the start of the movie and Sonny Chiba as the retired swordmaster. The music is just great.
The Japanese DVD still looks good on my set-up, wonder why that version was never released on BD?
As well as the full colour fight in the House of Blue Leaves I noticed the anime section is a bit longer.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Anime section is longer, the Blue Leaves fight is longer, other scenes like the "car boot" one at the end is longer, the Japanese cut of Kill Bill is significantly different imo and I'll never purchase this title in HD until it's available.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Taken 3 (2014-France) **
Strictly for the $$$ sequel isn't nearly as bad as I expected but is so full of 'oh, come on' moments and gaps in logic that it's easy to see why critics already out for blood would get hot under the collar. Switch your brain off and it's a passable time killer.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Five Year Engagement (2012-USA) **
Jason Segal and Emily Blunt are more appealing than most Hollywood romcom leads... but this undisciplined film goes on forever. Not quite 5 years but you get the picture.

Six Bullets (2012-USA) **½
Decent DTV actioner with Van Damme as an ex-merc who rescues trafficked children plays like a more elaborate version of Taken. Better than many theatrically released films.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Wolfen 3/5 Albert Finney is a NYC cop investigating the brutal murders of three rich socialites. Based on the book by Whitley Streiber and riddled with production problems (the film was taken away in post-production from the director,Michael Wadleigh) this is still a well made,different and atmospheric werewolf film though the ending seems rushed..Gregory Hines lends great support in an early role here.

Gumshoe 2/5 Albert Finney (again) is a struggling club comedian cum bingo caller who places an advert offering his services as a private eye.He is called to a hotel and given a package containing a gun,a grand and a photo of a girl. not bad pastiche,nostalgic for me as it was filmed and set in Liverpool.

Mona Lisa 3/5 Bob Hoskins is released from prison after doing time for his gangster boss Michael Caine,who gives him a job chaperoning high class prostitute Cathy Tyson.Solid,engrossing film but clearly takes a lot of it's inspiration from Scorcese's Taxi Driver.

Evil Dead 3/5 What was shocking in the early 80's is fairly tame these days but this is still a great example of good a micro budgeted horror movie can turn out.

Videodrome 2.5/5 Solid Cronenberg effort is not the classic some believe it to be but remains interesting and full of innovative ideas.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yes Man (2008-USA-Australia) **½
A timid loans officer decides to improve his life by saying 'yes' to absolutely everything.
Fair premise for a broad comedy is quite spotty but dragged across the finish line by Jim Carrey's enthusiasm.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

F/X (1985-USA) **½
Comic thriller doesn't hold up quite as well as I'd hoped, but has good cast and is still entertaining enough. I'll pick up the sequel from Kino in Dec.
What happened to Lipton (Cliff DeYoung)? Is he still in the bashed trunk of that car?