What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Day Of The Dead (2008) 2/5

Pretty lame remake of the vastly superior original.apart from a couple of nods to the original (Captain Rhodes,an intelligent zombie) this is nothing like Romero's film. Has an air of cheapness about it along with some wooden acting.plus points? Mena Suvari looking hot in her soldier outfit and the film never stops moving from start to finish.worth a rental as a timewaster maybe.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Tsotsi 5/5

Was wondering if I would score this slightly lower, because of the ending, but just the whole movie was excellent on all fronts, and especially the acting was amazingly good.
Great great movie, and just a fantastic lead actor.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Cool. I've heard it was good. I've had the UK DVD for a while.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I thought it was very good as well.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Rec 4/5

Here's a nice surprise, a pretty effective little spanish horror movie! filmed in the style of Blair Witch/Cloverfield ,a female reporter and her cameraman arrive at the local fire station to film the goings on there when they are called out to an emergency at an apartment block....won't say any more but this is well worth seeing and it made me jump 3-4 times which is unusual.doesn't outstay it's welcome either at 75 minutes.i think it hits uk cinemas soon.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

saltysam wrote: Rec 4/5
Sure it will beat shitty Diary of the Dead thats for sure :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I'll be seeing that on big screen next weekend.. with quite a few other intesting titles... if I can survive 7 movies in one night without falling asleep or dying...
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Law of Desire (Spain, 1987) – 2/5
Pretty worthless Almodovar classic that only gets interesting during the last third. The almost complete lack of (genuine) female characters is a fun idea, but everything feels just too plastic. May work for some, but I had hard time finding anything to connect with.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's one of the few Almodovar films I don't have on DVD. I understand Almodovar got considerably better with All About My Mother onwards.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut: 10 out of 10!

Quite simply a masterpiece! Now even better than I ever thought possible.

I was incredibly lucky enough to catch this at my local Arthouse cinema last night.

The first thing that struck me was quite how unbelievably phenomenal the 4K Remaster job was. For the first 10-20 minutes I was in awe had what they had achieved. It looked like it had been filmed yesterday and considerably better than many modern films.

It goes without saying Blade Runner is an outstanding achievement on every level. The cinematography is out of this world, the look of a future noir with mixture of Western but heavily Asian influences is incredible and the ending just WOW!

The remastered 5.1 sound (Dolby Digital 5.1 in this case, it's an arthouse cinema!) was remarkable too and really helped to bring life to the imagery.

I've lost count of the amount of times over the years I've seen Blade Runner but every time I see it it's like it's the first time. The CGI effects shots for once seamlessly integrate into the film and for once really enhance the film. The enhanced Unicorn shot is particularly impressive, as are all the matt building shots.

Quite simply a masterpiece! Now even better than I ever thought possible.

p.s - What is it that Harrison Ford doesn't like about it?
Last edited by bradavon on 30 Mar 2008, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Ford doesn't like it?
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

HungFist wrote:Ford doesn't like it?
Friction with Scott, hated the narration and doesn't like the idea of Deckard being a replicant.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks.

I knew he didn't like the narration, but that's now gone. Deckard being a replicant isn't ever spelt out so you could watch it and not take that from it. I prefer to think he is, as it makes it stronger.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Ford hated the shoot and hated the voiceover, I don't think he has a problem with the film itself anymore.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

According to Rutger Hauer, Ford just wasnt really in a good place in his life back then, drugs and stuff.

Havent seen the movie yet, so no idea if I'd like it.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

HungFist wrote:Ford doesn't like it?
He shares my taste in movies 8)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The 2 Disc SE DVD is dirt cheap at CD WOW (£8.49 delivered after discounts for either the R1 or UK R2). I've recommended to Grim he pick it up, who shock horror hasn't seen the masterpiece that is Blade Runner either.

Unless you're a fan it's probably not worth getting the 5 Disc UE. The 2 Disc SE contains the only cut now worth worrying about (The Final Director's Cut) and the meat of the extras. I am personally looking forward to checking out the Workprint though, which is only found on the 5 Disc version.
Last edited by bradavon on 30 Mar 2008, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Why would someone want to see the cgi enhanced Final Cut?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Have you seen it? If not I suggest you reserve judgement until you do. You once told me to do that remember ;)

Seriously the additions are seamless and for once actually benefit the film, this is definitely no Lucas style CGI hack job!

Besides it's far from just CGI alterations with all manner of little changes throughout (there were quite a few gaffs that needed fixing). Add to that the Final Cut has been Remastered way above the Remastered job of the 2006 re-release of the 1992 Director's Cut and like I said it now looks outstanding.

The substantial story changes happened with the 1992 Director's Cut though, for the most part. I've yet to find anyone who prefers any of the Theatrical Cuts (which only hinder the film) or 1992 Director's Cut.

You can check out all the numerous fixes/alterations here:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=4177

And a comparison between how much better 2007 Final Cut looks compared against the 1997 DVD of the 1992 Director's Cut and 2006 DVD also of the 1992 Director's Cut:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=4199
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Finishing The Game 2/5

Satire about the supposed auditions the find an actor to replace Bruce Lee and finish Game Of Death. this starts out ok but grows tiresome after 50 minutes or so.filmed in a psuedo-documentary style from the director of Tokyo Drift this low budget affair is watchable at least.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote: Seriously the additions are seamless and for once actually benefit the film, this is definitely no Lucas style CGI hack job!
Yes, but perhaps I'd like to watch Blade Runner, and not some 25th anniversary remix? Just like I'd rather watch Seven Samurai in its original form instead of a colorized new version, even if that one added more depth and digitally removed Toshiro Mifune's stunt double.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

HungFist wrote:Yes, but perhaps I'd like to watch Blade Runner, and not some 25th anniversary remix? Just like I'd rather watch Seven Samurai in its original form instead of a colorized new version, even if that one added more depth and digitally removed Toshiro Mifune's stunt double.
Well technically the final cut is more 'Blade Runner' than the theatrical cut, but if you wish to view the theatrical cut, then do so.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Have you even seen Blade Runner Hung? To question why fans would want any version other than the original theatrical edit seems ridiculously obtuse to me.
Last edited by Shingster on 31 Mar 2008, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Blade Runner is massively overrated IMHO.

Ford got it right first time.
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

Urban Justice AKA Renegade Justice - 3.5/5
Not bad. Much better than I expected.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

saltysam wrote: Finishing The Game 2/5

Satire about the supposed auditions the find an actor to replace Bruce Lee and finish Game Of Death. this starts out ok but grows tiresome after 50 minutes or so.filmed in a psuedo-documentary style from the director of Tokyo Drift this low budget affair is watchable at least.
Jesus, Justin Lin just won't stop, will he? You're an Asian American, we get the idea already.

Salty, is it better than that train wreck, Better Luck Tomorrow? Ta.