What are some good GBA/DS games?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

What are some good GBA/DS games?

Post by grim_tales »

Just started up my DS Lite today, lovely piece of kit :) Looks very nice.
I was wondering what were some good GBA/DS games to start with, I have Gunstar Future Heroes now which is quite fun, a side-scrolling old-school shooter by Treasure, and New Super Mario Bros. on the way.
There must be loads of GBA games to choose from, and I'd really like to try the more innovative DS titles as well as the old-school stuff like Mario etc :)
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

OK, my own GBA games first, *deep breath* Boktai (You play a vampire killer in this game, and your weapon is a gun that charges itself using sunlight. Actual sunlight. :)), Final Fantasy Tactics (Japanese RPG with an isometric view), Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (RPG (again) that picks up from where the PS2 game left off. So if you haven't played the original, you can give this a miss), Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission (Classy side scrolling shooter, which are very inventive), Mario Kart (Great game, but superseded by the DS version), Megaman Battle Network (kinda like Pokémon apparently. I dunno, it's belongs to my brother :)), Sonic Advance (Got the first and third games. 'Nuff said :D), Super Puzzle Fighter (Great puzzle game featuring the Street Fighter characters.), Wario Ware Inc.: Minigame Mania (Absolutely nutso game. Perfect for killing small amounts of time. You go through a series of minigames, each lasting 5 seconds or so and as varied as cutting someone's hair, to lifting weights :D).

As for my DS games... *another deep breath* Advance Wars: Dual Strike (Tactical strategy game, where you control one side in a war. Quality animation), Bomberman (got this today for the multiplayer side of things. Single player might be OK, but I can't see it lasting too long. Multiplayer is where it's at with this game :D), Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (not so much a game per se, but fun nonetheless), Mario Kart DS (more Mario fun. This is a replacement to the GBA game (you'll see this a bit), mainly because you can play a lot of DS games multiplayer, with just one card), Meteos(block based puzzler, which is even more frantic than Tetris. You have to 'launch' columns of blocks that fall from the top of the screen by joining three or more either vertically (to raise just that one column) or horizontally (to launch a series of columns), Metroid Prime: Hunters (I've only got a demo card for this, but it does seem to be a pretty nifty FPS, and with the stylus, it's a great method of control, which has always been the bane of consoles and FPS types), Nintendogs (bow-wow :D), Pac-Pix (Pac-Man for the DS generation :); you draw your Pacman on the screen in the direction you want him to move, and you create the walls as well.), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Lawyer-'em-up :). Reminiscent of the ol' point'n'click puzzle games (like Sam 'N' Max and Monkey Island. Good manga stylings as well), Polarium (puzzler which asks the player to switch blocks from white to black or vice versa. Good fun, but there are (now) better puzzle games), Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (A port (including dialogue and video) of the original PSone game, with a DS specific mode, where the knife that your character wields can be controlled by slashing the screen. I bought it because I love the cheesy dialogue :D), Super Mario DS (A port of Super Mario 64 on the N64, with some extra games (which are numerous and a lot of fun)), Super Monkey Ball: Touch'n'Roll (DS version of the Sega game. Monkey ball madness ahoy.), Trauma Center: Under The Knife (Surgeon-'em-up :), you play a young doctor who has to perform all manner of insane operations. Bloody difficult at times, but not because of bad game design. It will be your own reactions that are too slow :D) and finally, Wario Ware Touched (more minigame goodness)

Now, there has got to be something in there that you like :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Phew! Thanks Kurgan :D
I'll go into Gamestation on Monday to see if I can get money off something then (I have credit notes but they're so faded and hard to read). Why don't Gamestation keep records on computer like Blockbuster do? Grrr. :? :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Really been thinking of getting Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga or Mario Bros. 3 at some point but they seem rare/OOP:

Mario and Luigi is available here though:

http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/205-1805605 ... 18?fs=true

Kurgan you mentioned Boktai - that sounds cool too :) Is it known as something else in the West?
I'm busy playing Astro Boy: Omega Factor at the mo - good stuff.
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

Boktai is Boktai. It does need sunlight to play, so it's not really a winter game for the UK :p
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D
Do you have a link for it?
I've heard Drill Dozer is good also.
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

Not a direct link, I'm afraid, but if you go to GAME's site, and a do a search from there, they have the Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django for a fiver. :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Can't find it there :?
I thought I'd pick up the classic DKC 3 for GBA as its cheap in Play's sale (£11.99). Super Mario Pinball is also £11.99 but I've heard its not very good :?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The price of DKC has gone up to £14.99 now - poo :(
Godzooki
King of Beggars

Post by Godzooki »

Pheonix Wright Ace is the best DS game, love it!
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

"Objection!"
No, actually, you have no complaints from me on that one ;)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D