Facebook privacy settings

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Facebook privacy settings

Post by gasteropod »

Recently Facebook updated its privacy settings, and now whenever I post a comment to someone, it shows up on the news feed for all to see and I don't want it to, anyone know how to stop it doing that?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Facebook privacy settings

Post by bradavon »

When you next went to Facebook, after the global privacy settings were changed it should've prompted you to set such things. Cheekily it default to Public for the lot (due to the deal with Google/Yahoo). Many didn't bother to check they were set correctly and you can now see pretty much anyone's photos etc...

To answer your question, I take it you mean "all" as in "not" your friends? Obviously they should be able to see it (unless you don't want them too). Go to:

1. Settings (top right of Facebook)
2. Privacy Settings
3. Profile information
4. Posts by me

I have mine set to "Only Friends" but I suspect yours is set to "Everyone".
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Cheers Brad, I think it's the 'Comments on posts' bit so I've changed that to 'Only me' because when I post a message on someone's wall, I don't want that message showing up on the news feed to all my friends, because it's a bit weird broadcasting a personal message to everyone. I know the message is public and everything but that's different to it being highlighted on the news feed.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i heard somewhere facebook are looking to charge a monthly fee sometime in the future?if they do then i'm gone.
working class blu-ray fan
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

That will never happen. What do you think all the adverts are for?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Charge? No way. It goes against the philosophy of these social websites.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Must be just a rumour then.not that i go on it very much.i have 195 friends and probably know about 60 of them :lol:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

saltysam wrote:i heard somewhere facebook are looking to charge a monthly fee sometime in the future?if they do then i'm gone.
It's what Facebook does well, some idiot starts a rumor on Facebook and sends it to their friends, they send them to their friends etc.... it is then sent to millions in days, ussually with a handy link to a group saying STOP FACEBOOK CHARGING US £14.99 a month TO USE FACEBOOK!!! and also a handy link to a site selling goods, or advertising shit or even a Virus :clap:

Facebook, a place for selling and infecting people who have no computer skills and just click anything :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:i have 195 friends and probably know about 60 of them :lol:
I've got about 50 and know about 40 of them. I make a point of not adding an old person and regularly prune my down, back to around 50.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
saltysam wrote:i have 195 friends and probably know about 60 of them :lol:
I've got about 50 and know about 40 of them. I make a point of not adding an old person and regularly prune my down, back to around 50.
if someone wants to be my friend i'm happy to accept/add them whether i know them or not.My friends list includes Cynthia Rothrock,Richard Norton,Joe Lewis and the immortal Ron Van Clief :notworthy:
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

So? What's the name to search for?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Mr Sam Salty of course.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Damn. I hate it when Romero is right :D -

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-WILL-NO ... 714?ref=nf
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Thats acctually a lot cheaper than the other groups going around :D Spamtastic. It amazes me people join them.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Me too. Lemmings.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

My cousin sent me this about 2 weeks ago.
"EVERYONE. As of today, there is a NEW PRIVACY setting called "Instant Personalization" that shares data with non-Facebook websites & it is automatically set to "Allow." Go to Account >Privacy Settings > Applications and Websites >InstantPersonalization > Edit ...Settings & uncheck "Allow". BTW if ...your friends don't ...do this, they will be sharing info about you."
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The option exists but is disabled by default, at least it is in my case. "Public search" search is enabled by default though, found in the same place. This allows Google etc... to see the "Public" face of your Profile.