if you don't like your job should you leave?

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

if you don't like your job should you leave?

Post by saltysam »

seems the answer should be an obvious yes but is there many of us who really like their job. My current situation is this,i've been with the same company almost 13 years and am currently a supervisor there, at the moment i just feel like i'm stuck in a rut. i'm the union rep for my grade and also the guy bosses and other workers come to for help etc. This is all very flattering but it also puts a lot of pressure on me,basically no-one trusts the other 4 guys in the office to do anything which means extra work on me! it's come to a head where i'm browned off and would like a career change,but where would i go? i have a family to the support,i'm 43 years old and i'm scared of what's out there :? i imagine i could find another job but almost certainly on less money.what would you guys do,would you leave?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Tricky. Security versus desire. I certainly wouldn't stay in a job longterm if I felt it was sucking the life out of me but on the other hand I wouldn't just up and quit cold turkey without something to fall back on. Maybe you should hang off for a voluntary redundancy package. Sometimes they get offered to senior execs when the cupboard is being swept clean. No gurantees of that so maybe you should start checking out the want ads. It might help you if you feel like you're doing something proactive to fix your situation.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

well it could be tied in with the general malaise i've been going through this year with different personal problems, i'm thinking give it time and see if my head clears because previously i didn't mind my job too much :? with overtime i can earn 30k which isn't great but gives me a reasonable living standard.decisions,decisions...
working class blu-ray fan
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

It kinda depends I guess on how much money you would lose if you'd switch over to another job, and how much you and your family depends on that money. If you can live without the little drop in income, and you can find another job that will make you happier, than you should go leave this job. Probably best to shop around first though, see what job offers are out there.

Also have you talked to your supervisors about this? Cause maybe they really wanna keep you and might offer you some better hours (less hours), or maybe even an assistent or assign someone else to also take over some of your tasks and responsibilities. It's worth a shot, especially if you do decide you can live
without this job.

Personally, money has never been a reason for me to do anything I dont wanna do. I was pretty much ok with having no money, as long as it meant I didnt have to do crappy jobs :D
I dont care much about it, although obviously it's better to have it than to NOT have it. And if and when I have a family, I'm sure it will become a lot more important to me.

I dont know, man. But I'm sure it's important for your family if 'dad' is happy, you know!? If you're a moody cranky bitch as soon as you come home, stressed out etc... that's no use. Better to find a less demanding and stressfull job, and be happy. At least that's my view on things. But I dont have mortgages and downpayements etc to consider.

Good luck man, whatever you decide. But if the job makes you unhappy, than either things have to change at your workplace, or you need to move...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i have 6 weeks to go before i bugger off to Spain for a couple of weeks then have another week off when i come back. i'm thinking i'll see how i feel after that. the problem is i work with 4 other supervisors who do the same job, guy #1 is ok but i don't trust him, guy #2 is a shitstirring old school fucker, guy #3 is the laziest man alive,guy #4 is a friend but poor at his job which leaves me with a lot of responsibility as i often have to clear up their mess.being their union rep i can't really report them either :? i think i may for now quit the union side of things which may relieve some pressure.
working class blu-ray fan