Will Smith: "Hitler was a 'good' person"

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Will Smith: "Hitler was a 'good' person"

Post by grim_tales »

:o
Will Smith has stunned the world by declaring that even Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was essentially a "good" person.

The Men In Black star, 39, is determined to see the best in people, and is convinced the former German leader did not fully understand the extent of the pain and suffering his actions would cause during his time in power in the 1930s and '40s.

He says, "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'Let me do the most evil thing I can do today'.

"I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good'. Stuff like that just needs reprogramming."

Hitler's totalitarian leadership as Fuhrer during 1934 until his eventual suicide in 1945 resulted in the persecution of an estimated six million Jews in the Holocaust, and his invasion of Poland in 1939 led to the start of the Second World War.
Yikes. I kind of understand what he is saying, ie Hitler didnt see "himself" as "evil" and that was what made him truly dangerous. You could apply the same logic to suicide killers/bombers as well I think.
Brave guy for saying that. Maybe it would have been better if he didnt say it.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Yep, Will's comments have been twisted by the media.
He's not saying Hitler was a good person, he's saying Hitler probably thought he was a good person.

There's a huge difference.

Hell... Bush and Putin probably think they're good guys, too.

Still he shouldn't have said that. Them jews aren't gonna like it. :D
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah Will is saying HITLER thought HITLER was doing things for good, not that Will thinks Hitler was good - AFAIK. Hitler had slaves to do his work anyway.
Osama Bin Laden probably thinks he's a good guy too I bet...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I hate it when the media twists things to create something that doesn't exist :evil:

Fair play to Smith for saying what Tom says he said. That shows maturity and allows us to discuss dark subjects openly.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

This reminds me of a similar thing that happened in the 80s in France.

Jean-Marie Le Pen (far right nationalist politician) was pretty much crucified by the press because of an innocent comment he made about concentration camps:
He was talking to a journalist about WW2 in an interview when the journalist tried to move onto the subject of concentration camps. Le Pen said "Concentration camps ? That's an irrelevant detail" (meaning that it wasn't related to the topic at hand).

The sentence was taken out of its context, words like "Holocaust denial" started flying and Le Pen was fined 200 000 euros for his comment and branded a racist for life.

I hope it won't be the same for poor Will Smith.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Le Pen could have phrased it better though, he could have said "This is not the topic we are talking about now" ;) I understand what he means of course now you explain it, but still.
Last edited by grim_tales on 28 Dec 2007, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Digital Spy wrote: Smith 'incensed' over Hitler reports

Thursday, December 27 2007, 16:26 GMT

By Kimberley Dadds
Smith 'incensed' over Hitler reports

Rex Features
Will Smith has dismissed newspaper claims that he praised Adolf Hitler for being a "good" person as a "ludicrous misinterpretation".

The actor was quoted in the Daily Record as defending the actions of the Nazi dictator, but he slammed the claims as "an awful and disgusting lie".

In the story published in the Scottish newspaper on Saturday, Smith was reported as saying: "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'let me do the most evil thing I can do today.' I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good'."

The citation was then accompanied by the writer's comment: "Remarkably, Will believes everyone is basically good."

But the I Am Legend star has released a statement saying: "It is an awful and disgusting lie. It speaks to the dangerous power of an ignorant person with a pen. I am incensed and infuriated to have to respond to such ludicrous misinterpretation."

Smith added: "Adolf Hitler was a vile, heinous vicious killer responsible for one of the greatest acts of evil committed on this planet."

Abraham H. Foxman from Jewish human rights group the Anti-Defamation League has accepted that Smith's words were misinterpreted. He said: "We welcome and accept Will Smith's statement that Hitler was a 'vicious killer' and that he did not mean for his remarks about the Nazi leader to be mistaken as praise."
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Daily Record? That pile of arsewipe? Why am I not surprised? :roll:

It just shows how dangerous media manipulation can be and how easy it is to fool the public into misinterpreting someone's words.

Smith should sue.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Smith has now won damages due to the crap printed by WENN (World entertainment news network).
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote:Smith has now won damages due to the crap printed by WENN (World entertainment news network).
Good. Fucking media is always trying to ruin people's lives just so they can sell a few more copies...
Bastards.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Bush's war on terror has cost the life of 1.000.000 Iraqis. I don't know the numbers for Afghanistan, but these are only the official numbers we have here. Bush sure thinks he did it for a good reason, meaning his own profit.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Yeah, but unlike Hitler, Bush will sadly never die prematurely for his crimes.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...