The Leaders' Debates

Post by Markgway »

Anyone watch this on Thursday?
Shen
Royal Tramp

Re: The Leaders' Debates

Post by Shen »

Yes.

I wasn't sure about voting at all because prior to this it was basically a choice between Brown or Cameron. Neither of them appeal to me. We need a change from Labour but the Tories policies just don't cut it. Cameron is arrogant and stuck up. After the debate I read the manifestoes of Lib Dem, Labour and Conservative. I must admit I'm being swayed towards Lib Dem. Their policies are coherent and interesting, though one must wonder, given their reputation, how well Clegg would thrive as PM. Conservatives Manifesto was just a show piece, lots of photos, and not very coherent to read, their policies will essentially end up benefiting those in the higher band of income, leaving the poorer to struggle further, e.g taking away the winter fuel allowance, the £6bn spending cut which will likely come from national services.
Labour had the same old bullshit.
Like every party Lib Dems have some policies that seem a bit flakey or just wrong, but the majority of their policies, to me, seem practical and able to be implemented provided the leader is strong enough. Particularly the aim of reducing the deficit without taking money from the national services such as NHS and Education is very appealing, now if they can produce a coherent and viable strategy then it may become a reality instead of just a hope. The electoral reforms I like too, we need a change in our outdated system. LibDems also propose holding referendums, this is interesting and will allow the public more say in what goes on. Also making the MPs pay the same taxes as everyone else and not expemting them from it. Many people speak abut the policy of entering the EU, but given they propose to hold a referendum on any major decision then it seems unlikely that it will happen without support from the public. We are already closely related to EU anyway, for me the step into becoming a full fledged member is not a problem.
The next two debates will help to understand if Clegg is just a one time wonder or he can keep up a sustained strong performance.

I'm still not 100% sure, but at least now I'm likely to vote! I will get some more information and do some more research first, weigh up the pros and cons and so on.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'm not sold yet... will be interested to see how the remaining two debates play out.

I have to agree that Clegg was the winner of Round One.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Will be voting Labour.Could never vote Tory and i don't see the Liberals ever gaining power.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:Will be voting Labour.Could never vote Tory and i don't see the Liberals ever gaining power.
Did you sleep thru the last 13 years??
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I agree Clegg gave a good performance from what I saw, I only watched a bit but noticed how he was looking into the camera (like he was speaking to the viewer) when answering.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

People now base a vote on a performance on TV, classy.

Jesus Christ. The country is fucked beyond words then.

Go and read the 6000+ page change books they have saying what they are actually doing (instead of the few points they raise and lie about in the media), but no one will ever do that, so people are lay down a vote for a TV performance now. People deserve to be fucked over for another few years.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:I agree Clegg gave a good performance from what I saw, I only watched a bit but noticed how he was looking into the camera (like he was speaking to the viewer) when answering.
Although when he answered the first question he was looking at the wrong camera... :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

romerojpg wrote:People now base a vote on a performance on TV, classy.

Jesus Christ. The country is fucked beyond words then.

Go and read the 6000+ page change books they have saying what they are actually doing (instead of the few points they raise and lie about in the media), but no one will ever do that, so people are lay down a vote for a TV performance now. People deserve to be fucked over for another few years.
It's all lies anyway. Saves time listening to lies over reading them in depth.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yet we still vote for someone even if its all lies? :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

It's all down to who is the best liar.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Non of them, they are all blatant and obvious smarm merchants of the lie.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:
saltysam wrote:Will be voting Labour.Could never vote Tory and i don't see the Liberals ever gaining power.
Did you sleep thru the last 13 years??
No but i was awake though the Thatcher/Major years,you know when the twats would'nt even back a minimum wage amongst other crimes against the working class..I'll never,ever vote for a Tory government though i think that's what's going to happen.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:No but i was awake though the Thatcher/Major years,you know when the twats would'nt even back a minimum wage amongst other crimes against the working class..I'll never,ever vote for a Tory government though i think that's what's going to happen.
That argument doesn't hold up. The New Tories (ie. Cameron) are as different to the Old Tories (ie. Thatcher) as New Labour (ie. Brown) is to Old Labour (ie. Kinnock). I'd vote for the Lib Dems over Labour. Brown is the worst Prime Minister this country has seen in recent memory (following on from his stint as worst ever chancellor) and if you vote for him due to class prejudice (and a perceived, but non-existant affinity for the working class) then you're sorely misguided. There's a lot about The Tories I don't like, but this country desperately needs a change of managment and I'm willing to vote for whomever can deliver. If Clegg scores just as strongly in the remaining two debates he might get my vote. Though I suspect Cameron will give a stronger showing next time. I will not vote for Brown under any circumstances. He's proven himself an incompetant oaf. But if you think that's OK you know where to plant your cross on May 6th. :dontknow:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Like i said i'll be voting Labour.i'm not a fan of Brown but Cameron :roll: i will never,ever vote Tory. The truth is that after 13 years in government,an unpopular PM, a recession,Iraq etc... the Tories should be 20 points ahead in every opinion poll.The fact they are not speaks volumes imo. they'll probably sneak home but i doubt with a ringing endorsement.My MP will remain Labour at least i think.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

All you can count on is this.

Whoever gets in power will be fucking you up beyond words over the next few years. It is going to be hell on earth.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:Like i said i'll be voting Labour.i'm not a fan of Brown but Cameron :roll: i will never,ever vote Tory. The truth is that after 13 years in government,an unpopular PM, a recession,Iraq etc... the Tories should be 20 points ahead in every opinion poll.The fact they are not speaks volumes imo. they'll probably sneak home but i doubt with a ringing endorsement.My MP will remain Labour at least i think.
You vote Labour you get Brown. It's not like you can seperate the two. Fine if that's what you want... The Tories should be streets ahead (and at one point almost were) but they keep screwing up. This should have been for The Tories like 1997 was for Labour - when everyone wanted change. The country has taken an amighty nosedive in the last 13 years, but still there's doubt as to whether Labour can be kicked out. Truly scary levels of apathy abound. I'm no fan of Cameron or his party - I'm pretty fucking far from a toff - but if it's a choice between him or Brown, there is no choice in my book. Britain needs to get rid of Labour. Anyone who votes Labour on the basis of a class prejudice is a fool; fair enough if you like their policies, or think they've done a good job(!) I'd rather vote Lib Dem than Labour. Problem with the Libs is that I think they might go even further left - not just where required but on everything. I'm still undecided - there's always UKIP! - and will watch the remaining debates with great interest.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Where's Cameron's radical policies to improve the country? i've not heard any yet. Who is your local MP Mark? is it a safe seat? Because where i am i could vote for the Adolf Hitler is God Party and the Labour man will still win. The candidate was a local councillor and he was pretty good,to me he deserves a chance to be my MP.You say the country has taken an almighty nosedive in the last 13 years-it was hardly a bed of roses under Thatcher/Major either.In fact i can't remember any time at all when anyone has been happy with the state of the country :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I recorded it but haven't got around to seeing it yet. I definitely will though. I hear Clegg came out best, by far and even remarkably in one poll he's now the number 1 to win. Not that he will obviously.

I've always voted Liberal Democrats anyway (surprise, surprise) and suspect I will this time. Ridiculously the next live debate is on Sky 1. Way to go, put such an important debate on a PPV channel!

Is it just me but are the people who say "they're all the same", always the ones who pay zero attention to politics. How exactly are you remotely qualified to say that then? I wouldn't say all football teams are identical because I know absolutely nothing about football.
Markgway wrote:I'm not sold yet... will be interested to see how the remaining two debates play out.
You'll need Sky to watch Part 2. Part 3 is on BBC1.
saltysam wrote:i don't see the Liberals ever gaining power.
I don't get this point of view. You vote for who you believe in, not whose going to get into power. There's an element of reality, in Liberal Democrats not having a chance because too many think this way. I don't understand people's thinking on this one.
romerojpg wrote:People now base a vote on a performance on TV, classy.
It's no better than putting your vote on "spin" remember.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:Ridiculously the next live debate is on Sky 1. Way to go, put such an important debate on a PPV channel!
Yeah but it is on other channels as well. BBC News 24 show it just after, as do many other places. So if anyone wants to see it, it wont be too hard for many.
Still BBC is a PPV channel remember :thumbs: one we are forced to pay for, unlike Sky who doe not force us to watch it and steal your cash.

and as for "Spin", that is just another word for Lies. I dont bother with any, as not one of them tell the truth - and even when a nugget of truth does come out, the amount of garbage backed up behind that truth kind of kicks it in the balls :lol:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:Where's Cameron's radical policies to improve the country?
For starters... reducing the role of a big brother government which micro manages every little detail and renders local politics a powerless irrelevance.

What are Gordon Brown's radical ideas? Why on earth should the public trust a man who's lied and acted incompetantly for the last 13 years?
Who is your local MP Mark?
It's an SNP dude. Not interested in Scotland becoming independent. And even if I was I would want our country's future put in the hands of a parliment more capable than ours.
is it a safe seat?
Believe it or not Dundee used to be one of Labour's strongest holds. You could put a puppy with a red rosette on the ballot and Dundonians would vote for it. I know dummies who still vote Labour because that's what their grandfather did. I mean WTF?? But the SNP has emerged big time in the last decade (since devolution). That said the shine has worn off them a little and it wouldn't be totally out of the question for Labour to get back one of our two seats. Are you really interested in this...? :D
Because where i am i could vote for the Adolf Hitler is God Party and the Labour man will still win.
Well, that's hardly news. I can't imagine there being a great deal of support for the famed Adolf Hitler is God Party - although I have heard some good things about their leader.
The candidate was a local councillor and he was pretty good,to me he deserves a chance to be my MP.
He may well be. But sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. This is a party system and although you vote for one man in Liverpool all the power goes to the one man in Downing Street. I always keep that in mind when voting.
You say the country has taken an almighty nosedive in the last 13 years-it was hardly a bed of roses under Thatcher/Major either.
Bed of roses? Not a chance. That would be utopia. But I'd say it was better before Labour came to power. And in 1997 I never thought I would say that in 2010. Like everyone else I (up to a point) bought into the Blair-Brown bullshit. This generation has had their dreams and opportunities shattered. Young as I was I do remember a feeling in the 80s that if you worked hard Britain could be a strong country - now it's the weak man of Europe. I no longer have any hope for this country - that's the key difference.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I hear Clegg came out best, by far and even remarkably in one poll he's now the number 1 to win. Not that he will obviously.
He did win the debate... although I don't think he was THAT brilliant to put Lib Dems in the front seat. I think that will be a passing phase and won't translate into votes. I was more impressed than I expected however. My main issue is not with Clegg but with their strongly left-wing politics - I can't seem myself voting for a party soooo liberal. It's just not in my nature. :D
You'll need Sky to watch Part 2. Part 3 is on BBC1.
We get Sky 1 on Cable. Is it not on Freeview? Sky 1 isn't a PPV channel. It's not even subscription. You just need access to a basic Sky package.
saltysam wrote:I don't get this point of view. You vote for who you believe in, not whose going to get into power. There's an element of reality, in Liberal Democrats not having a chance because too many think this way. I don't understand people's thinking on this one.
The Lib Dems have as good a chance now as they've had since Lloyd George! So it might actually be worth a vote. Normally Sam would be right though. It can be considered (unfortunately) a wasted vote if you know there's bugger all chance of it going anywhere. Depends often on where you live.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote: Ridiculously the next live debate is on Sky 1. Way to go, put such an important debate on a PPV channel!
How many people don't have Sky 1 these days!why shouldn't Sky get one of the debates?
bradavon wrote:Is it just me but are the people who say "they're all the same", always the ones who pay zero attention to politics. How exactly are you remotely qualified to say that then?
. As you are the new David Dimbledy and BNB Political guru then care to explain to us numpties the difference between the three main parties?

bradavon wrote:. You vote for who you believe in,
i do...Labour.Even though they are going to lose.
bradavon wrote:There's an element of reality, in Liberal Democrats not having a chance because too many think this way. I don't understand people's thinking on this one.
Not really,the voting system needs a total overhaul.If i suddenly decided to vote Lib Dem how exactly would that help them.?Seeing as the Labour man will piss it in my area. Bring in PR and then you may have a point.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I doubt Clegg will win, probably Cameron (!) on the basis of "change". I agree with Sam though thats its not as if the country was "much" better under the conservative government, the moaning about Broken Britain (as if its unique to Labour) just really annoys me for example though like all of you I hate evil stuff happening.
Sky1 is hardly a PPV channel, its part of the basic Sky package.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Yeah but it is on other channels as well. BBC News 24 show it just after, as do many other places. So if anyone wants to see it, it wont be too hard for many.
Thanks. I didn't know that.
Markgway wrote:We get Sky 1 on Cable. Is it not on Freeview? Sky 1 isn't a PPV channel. It's not even subscription. You just need access to a basic Sky package.
No just Sky 3. It's not on Freesat either. Good point BBC or Skky 1 aren't PPV but Sky 1 is subscription based. Not that it matters as Romero says it will be on BBC News 24 too.
Markgway wrote:It can be considered (unfortunately) a wasted vote if you know there's bugger all chance of it going anywhere. Depends often on where you live.
I still disagree. They've not got no chance if everyone thinks that.

For me, last time I said "I don't ultimately mind as long as Torries don't get in". This time I'm saying "I don't ultimately mind as long as Labour don't get in but I really don't want Torries to get in either". In other words, Torries are the better of two evils BUT Labour need to get out.

If you agree with what they've been doing the past few years fine but if you disagree, I don't see the point voting for Labour. We already know exactly what we're going to get, more of the same. For me, at least with Lib Dems, you're getting something genuinely different, a different approach. I'm unconvinced Torries are "that different" to Labour.