bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What not at all?

Nice to hear Salty.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:It's annoying La Haine aside (which is coming) all AFAIK Films are Hollywood ones :(
Wolf Creek (Aussie film on Weinstein HD-DVD) and The Descent (pom film on Lion's Gate BRD) aren't Hollywood. Also Saw 1 is technically an Australian film and was made with independent financing (the sequels are all studio films though).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Fair point. Okay more non-English fodder.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

some interesting releases from france. gone for Carpenter's the Fog,one of my favourites.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

saltysam wrote:gone for Carpenter's the Fog,one of my favourites.
Yeah, that's a terrific film. A superbly made, suspenseful ghost film with a terrific score by Carpenter.

It's really underrated - people dismiss it saying "fog and pirates, not scary at all".
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

saltysam wrote:some interesting releases from france. gone for Carpenter's the Fog,one of my favourites.
Here here, the original fog is an excellent movie, haunting score.. Very underrated movie
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Agreed. It's one of my favourite Carpenter films.

Salty: Where did you buy them and how much? Is there any list for French HD-DVDs? More to the point non-USA/UK releases?

Has anyone seen any Combo's outside The States?

Right now those are all that interest me. MovieTyme has sent me a £2 voucher code so I may pick up "Goodnight Night, and Good Luck". I've asked when it expires, it just says "in 1 month".
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i've now managed to watch 4 HD-DVDS my opinions so far:
Fearless: gorgeous,flawless transfer
The Hulk: sensational transfer,blows the dvd away and that was good,
Corpse Bride: The best i've seen yet,almost 3-d like in some scenes.
An American Werewolf In London: A bit disappointing, this movie has never looked good even from it's early vhs releases, while the HD-DVD is clearly better than the SE dvd the step up in quality is not great.Not a HD-DVD i'd use to show off the format.great movie though.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

I finally decided to go ahead and get a HD-DVD player. It's amazing how much better it is. I thought The Searchers was a fantastic transfer. So was King Kong and Terminator 3. I was also surprised by how good Army of Darkness looked.
Full Metal Jacket was ok but not to good because of a de-interlacing method WB used. But it is nice to see it properly matted in 1.78:1. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was good, but long shots aren't so hot.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

watched my first sd-dvd on the toshiba earlier,the big boss pe,looked the best i've ever seen it,seems to upscale standard dvds nicely.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'm hearing that too. TBB: PE looks tremendous.

Did you end up selling your old DVD player?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

No, there's no hack as yet for SD dvds so i'm using my multi-region dvd recorder/hdd to play region 1 dvds through component.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Pity you're losing Upscaling for R1 content. What one do you have? Me I have a Pioneer DV540 HD/DVD Freeview Recorder.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

it's a Targa, had it about 2 years and has proved the most reliable dvd recorder i've owned.excellent picture on region 1 through component.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

watched the Fog hd-dvd,at first was a bit underwhelmed by the transfer but tried the mgm region 1 to compare and the hd version blows it out of the water.easily the best i've ever seen this dark,grainy movie.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You'll have some collection by the time most of us get HD. Are you selling your old DVDs?

You can get HDMI Upscaling DVDr/HD Recorders now, not that I'm bothering in the slightest. Progressive is fine for Recorded material. I already own a DVD Player (which will be replaced with HD eventually) for DVD watching.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Hey salty, do the Frenchie discs have removable subs?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Well Eva i only have 1 french release ( The Fog) and that has removable subs so i imagine all the studio canal titles will. Also there is an english menu option when the disc loads up.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Just received Clerks 2 hd-dvd interesting that it's a 2 disc set,only other 2 disc release i know of is mi:3 :? the transfer on clerks 2 is solid but not great tbh, not that much of an upgrade on the region 1.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

MI:3 is a two disc HD-DVD really. The only other one I know if is World Trade Center.

Are the extras in HD? I presume they must be to need two HD-DVDs. You're getting some collection there Salty, have you upgraded any DVDs yet?
Last edited by bradavon on 08 Jan 2007, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

World Trade Center :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You're wrong it's Stone's sequel to Wall Street :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D

Doh now you edited your post, mine doesnt make any sense ;)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Did Brad use the Pom spelling of 'Center'?

The HD-DVD release of Warren Beatty's communist epic Reds occupies two discs, prolly cuz it's really long. It's 2* HD-30's. We prolly won't see 3 hours+ films occupying single disc releases until they roll out HD-45's at least, or improve the compression to picture quality quota of the current codecs significantly.
bradavon wrote:Are the extras in HD?
Probably. I recall that Smith shot his vlog in HD.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Eva. That's a shame when triple layer (51Gb) is out now.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Did Brad use the Pom spelling of 'Center'?
Nope as that's not it's title (you guys use it too ;) ). I called it Wall Trade Center :D

I've just ordered "Good Night, and Good Luck" from MovieTyme (using a £2 code they e-mailed me).

The DVD Talk review says it's a HD-DVD15/DVD5 so single layer both sides. I know it's only 93 minutes but even so. Still it gets a decent AV review so I guess it doesn't matter.

The UK R2 has DTS btw but I doubt it adds much and I'd prefer the Combo.

p.s - Oh and here is a BD vs. HD-DVD review of it: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23653