Asian Movies in HD!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by bradavon »

The HK one looks okay to me. It's the USA one that's been DNRed. I wish people would stop calling every HK BD that isn't perfect a DVD upscale!
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar

Post by DangerousLeeHandsome »

bradavon wrote:I wish people would stop calling every HK BD that isn't perfect a DVD upscale!
Me too but in this case, it looks fairly obvious. But like Ive said before, looking at a freeze frame and watching it in motion are 2 completely different things. I actually preordered this so Im kinda anxious to do my own side by side comparison to the US version.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

:banghead:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

:lol:
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar

Recently got City On Fire, Bullet in the Head & Peking Opera Blues. the transfer for COF is a bit soft but looks gernerally good and quality is actually pretty consistent throughout. BITH looks pretty mediocre, barely better than the JS DVD. Close ups look OK but everything else is dull. Peking Opera Blues looks spotless and clean. One of the best K&R transfers Ive seen yet. English subs suck ass though.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Would you recommend the JS DVD of Bullet in the Head over the BD in that case? :)
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar

Yes I would actually.
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar

Just recieved Tiger on Beat in the mail today. AQ/PQ are really good. some of you may have already seen the screens posted at asiandvdguide. check them out!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

How can you say the PQ is really good when the image has been DNR'd to hell and back?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

He was being sarcastic
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar

Markgway wrote:How can you say the PQ is really good when the image has been DNR'd to hell and back?
Because it does look really good. And no Im not being sarcastic.
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

The Killer blu-ray mini comparison:

Apart from a few decent releases from Europe, it is damn near impossible to find what fans would call an "ideal" or "definitive" release of this undeniable classic. (The HKL release comes really close tho imo). Furthermore, it is quite appauling when you consider that the film barely got it's first anamorphic North American dvd last year! In 2010! I recently sat down and viewed Fortune Star's new blu-ray of The Killer and in a nutshell, this disc is just another chapter in The Killer's sad history on home video. Here's a basic comparison between the FS and Dragon Dynasty blu-rays:

PQ:
Though presented in 1080p and at it's correct speed, the DD still gets the upper hand. The print used on the new BD is the same worn print found on the IVL dvd. The higher resolution also brings about flaws that you wouldn't have noticed on the dvd such as rampant noise and print damage. While both prints are soft, the DD has bold colors with life-like skintones and deep rich blacks while the FS has a drab, overall faded look with blacks and grays looking more blueish.

Winner: Dragon Dynasty

AQ:
If you may recall, the IVL dvd of The Killer featured a truly horrendous 5.1 remix with extremely muffled dialogue and music. Thankfully that is not the case here. Presented in Dolby TrueHD 7.1, the audio is crisp and clear without any hiccups. What bugs me though is the inclusion of distracting new foley effects. There are even a few instances where the same gun sounds different from shot to shot! While not the original mono, the DD includes a superior soundmix that doesn't bother to add/replace any sound effects which is a plus.

Subtitles:
Mickey Mouse and Dumbo return. Need I say more?

Extras: FS's disc includes 2 trailers, 2 interviews (Ken Tsang, Sally Yeh), deleted scenes and a "Code of Bullets" featurette, none of which are subtitled.
DD's includes 2 John Woo Q&A sessions, a John Woo interview, a trailer gallery, deleted scenes and a locations featurette. Nothing really too intresting.

Winner: Tie

Overall: Fortune Star. While everything else is spot-on, the 25fps BS is what made DD's disc dead on arrival.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Shaolin @ bbfc

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV278872/

Horse trips cut as predicted.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

It says some of the cuts were substitutions, so I doubt we'll notice them much :)
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar

Well Go USA is releasing Shaolin in theatres on Aug 5th. To coincide with this, the studio will release Little Big Soldier on DVD/Blu-ray on Aug 23rd.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I was watching Little Big Soldier on BD the other day and there is a completely blatant horse trip in that, checking the BBFC site reveals that 2seconds may have been cut from the shot, but it's still obvious it's a horse trip in the film! :icon_suspect:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Shingster wrote:I was watching Little Big Soldier on BD the other day and there is a completely blatant horse trip in that, checking the BBFC site reveals that 2seconds may have been cut from the shot, but it's still obvious it's a horse trip in the film! :icon_suspect:
The BBFC have gone really weird on animal cruelty.

They cut horse trips (most of which don't injure the horses - at least not badly) yet waive several mins of cuts to Cannibal Holocaust in which animals are brutally murdered for entertainment (on the basis that the acts aren't 'cruel').
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:yet waive several mins of cuts to Cannibal Holocaust in which animals are brutally murdered for entertainment (on the basis that the acts aren't 'cruel').
Wasn't it because they were then eaten?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Markgway wrote:
Shingster wrote:I was watching Little Big Soldier on BD the other day and there is a completely blatant horse trip in that, checking the BBFC site reveals that 2seconds may have been cut from the shot, but it's still obvious it's a horse trip in the film! :icon_suspect:
The BBFC have gone really weird on animal cruelty.

They cut horse trips (most of which don't injure the horses - at least not badly) yet waive several mins of cuts to Cannibal Holocaust in which animals are brutally murdered for entertainment (on the basis that the acts aren't 'cruel').
They don't cut "ritual killings" either (eg the chicken killing from Mr Vampire) :?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

gasteropod wrote:Wasn't it because they were then eaten?
They might have been eaten later... but I really don't think that's the point.

What kind of sicko decapitates a turtle or shoots a pig? (cut scenes recently waived)

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/GVV102579/

Killing any creature for puposes of entertainment is wrong (and that goes for ritual slaughter too).
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I say ban the films, when they learn to make them without murdering animals then come back. The pathetic Asian film industry would go bankrupt.
tolpol
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by tolpol »

Bit of a gamble, but I ordered Running out of Time without waiting for a review and luckily it turns out to be one of Fortune Star's few 'proper' HD-transfers - looks good.
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar

I recieved 2 batches over the last 2 weeks. First batch was Zu Warriors, In the Line of Duty 4 and Running Out of Time. Toddly's review of Zu Warriors is spot on. ITLOD4 is an upscale but its clean as a whistle and has great colors.:) ROOT actually does look pretty good and, to me, looks to be genuine HD.

second batch was Tiger Cage 2 and that one is definitely upscaled. Best version of TC2 Ive seen was on Spanish TV when they aired the Miramax cut. Colors on this blu cant match that version but overall I say it comes close.
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar

luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Uk version of Lost Bladesman is 'coming soon' on Lovefilm..
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)