Asian Movies in HD!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

Reviews at DVD Beaver show new HD masters, seems slight colour differences between them and the HK BDs...
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

grim_tales wrote:Reviews at DVD Beaver show new HD masters, seems slight colour differences between them and the HK BDs...

Shame the set is so expensive

Wonder if the films will get UK ports now?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Who would do it though? Havent Cine Asia gone bust?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Some on Blu Ray.com are saying the Mandarin Mono track is missing in on the disc of Fist of Fury - WTF?! :? :evil:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... ost8290686
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

DRUNKEN MASTER and SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW coming to BD in Japan! :o :D

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... ost8292669
Likely no English subs though :( So I hope these come to English speaking countries intact.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Shingster wrote:I think I may have jizzed in my pants a little:

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1012-z ... -swordsman

If this hits the B&N 50% November sale it might be as low as $113!
Beaver:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

B&N haven't cancelled my pre-order yet. Being hopeful :)
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

Post by hanshotfirst1138 »

Did the Blu of Iron Monkey have the original mono track? Sorry to derail, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

No. None of the Kam & Ronson BDs do.
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

Damn. So I guess I'm better off with the DVD version then? I assume that the Weinstein butchery of IM are the only Blu releases it's gotten? I assume that Kam and Ronson are the ones who have the rights to all of the Fortune Star stuff are the only releases out there now? I can't understand why the hell they wouldn't. It can't take up that much space or be that difficult to put on there.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

One-Armed Boxer coming out next week in Japan, and it's listed to have English mono

grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thats some cool art :)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

probably an upscale of the dvd transfer released there a few years ago.
working class blu-ray fan
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

yeah, I was posting that at 3am and was thinking it's a Shaw film, hence got my hopes up when I saw mono...
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I blame Fortune Star for trying to screw over companies with upscales and I blame said companies for allowing themselves to be screwed over then I blame the fans for paying to be screwed over again. Basically there's a lot of screwing going on and none of it the good kind.
peterwong
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by peterwong »

What's the current status of older Hong Kong Films getting remastered into Blu-Ray/DVDs?

Is it being released regularly or is it random/sporadic? And it's weird that not all newer HK movies gets a Blu-Ray release, even for some movie that are more mainstream/commercialized, example: Young & Dangerous: RELOADED, but they'll release Daniel Chan's prior movie on Blu-Ray. <scratches head>

Triad (2012)
紮職
http://www.hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mht ... ay_set=eng
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The general state of Hong Kong movies on BD is terrible.

Catalogue titles are more miss than hit.
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

It seems like no matter which company in which region gets teh films, HK movies always seem to get screwed over on home video. You'd hope that Fortune Star would finally improve that, but they seem to have done more harm than good.
Markgway wrote:I blame Fortune Star for trying to screw over companies with upscales and I blame said companies for allowing themselves to be screwed over then I blame the fans for paying to be screwed over again. Basically there's a lot of screwing going on and none of it the good kind.
That a professional DVD company can pass off upscales is frankly baffling. It's like roofing a metal roof with wood, I can't believe it's tolerated. And it doesn't look like any improvement is in sight.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist wrote:One-Armed Boxer coming out next week in Japan, and it's listed to have English mono

I think Sam got this. Could you tell us how the English audio is? In sync? Sound ok?
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

Markgway wrote:No. None of the Kam & Ronson BDs do.
Was there any difference between the IVL and Joy Sales releases? I picked up the Yen/Yuen collection and even on my rudimentary HDTV, the video quality hardly impresses, and the subtitles, though largely intelligible, aren't great. I'm assuming the IVL and HS have the same transfer? I'm hunting around on eBay, it looks like by and large the Joy Sales discs are my best bet for most things. Hell, I'm hunting around for the old Tai Seng VHS of some stuff at this point! And it's harder to find than I'd have thought. The state of the genre on video is disgraceful!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

AFAIK, the Joy Sales version of Iron Monkey (and others) is just a repackage of the IVL, but with original mono and decent picture it's the best version available for me.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Apparently, on their Facebook page, Celestial are asking fans what titles we would like to see on BD as they are going to release some titles this year.

https://www.facebook.com/CelestialSBFil ... ream_ref=1
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

HungFist wrote:
HungFist wrote:One-Armed Boxer coming out next week in Japan, and it's listed to have English mono

I think Sam got this. Could you tell us how the English audio is? In sync? Sound ok?
it looks like an upscale to me,the english track sounded slightly off..but hard to tell with 70's dubbed movies
working class blu-ray fan
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

ok, thanks
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Apparently, on their Facebook page, Celestial are asking fans what titles we would like to see on BD as they are going to release some titles this year.

Not on Facebook, so can't comment there. But it's a good idea to get fan feedback, especially the many requests for original mono and 1080p transfers.
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

Mono, absolutely, and 1080P at least. Can't imagine that any BK flick has ever been scanned at 2K or 4K; so I guess that a proper HD transfer of any kind would do. Why they think no one will notice upscales, I'll never know, bit then, I have friends who can't understand why on earn I would buy Blus of movies I already own on DVD, because when they're upscaled, "they look the same." So.....
grim_tales wrote:Apparently, on their Facebook page, Celestial are asking fans what titles we would like to see on BD as they are going to release some titles this year.

What kind of stuff do they have the rights to? You'd think that what fans want would be abundantly clear by now, but it still seems like they almost always mess up. I'm not on Facebook, but everyone who is, make some noise and let them know!