Asian Movies in HD!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Ah yes, some fine ass bitches come from Belgium.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Infernal Affairs is up at (the other) DDD:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_deta ... uctID=7162

Note it says Region Free.

Source: http://www.theimportforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9058
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Post by Toge »

I just saw a HDTV rip of Seven Swords posted up at a torrent site, was very impressed! :)

LMK if these urls work for you as they dont work for me

www.freeimagehost.eu/image/0138dc566874
http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/96d3c5566871
http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/cc09b7566882
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Is it a 7.48 gb / 720p Matroska file ?
'Cause that's the one I'm downloading right now. :D

Those caps sure look good.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Post by Toge »

Nah its not I don't think :)
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

So Funimation (ugh) are BD exclusive and it looks like Bandai will be releasing the same stuff in the US as they are in Japan. They announced Honneamise for both formats and it's also the first BD/HD-DVD of their batch coming out in Japan.
I think the only reason they're bothering with HD-DVD still is because they really hyped it up before BD kicked it down. They probably invested monies and prepared discs already.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Hero Director's cut hd-dvd-be nice if this had english subtitles :?

http://www.cinefacts.de/news/fotos.php?id=1&nid=7818
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Post by Toge »

heh - perhaps a fansub is in order?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

No need, just rip the Edko DC subs.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Hey, can anyone tell me if the Blu-ray of 'The Host' is region free? Thanks.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

It's region free according to what I've read.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

gasteropod wrote:Hey, can anyone tell me if the Blu-ray of 'The Host' is region free? Thanks.
This one?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/host.html :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Erm, yes? lol

I've ordered it anyway, apparently it is region free, which is the usual for Magnolia.
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Post by Toge »

Not impressed with the IA Blu-ray! incredibly soft PQ - should be nice and sharp. maybe someone will use some filters online :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Toge. Shame :(

It looks better than the DVD though right?
EvaUnit02 wrote:No need, just rip the Edko DC subs.
That's a pain to match up the syncing though.
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Post by Toge »

yeah looks miles better then the dvd.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

*Added several titles*
*Cleaned-up the list a little bit*
*Added review links*
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks
CarbonToe
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by CarbonToe »

bradavon wrote:
Kurgan wrote:One thing I do like about the Blu-Ray format is that you'll be able to download subtitles direct to the machine, so (as is the case with plenty of DVDs now) if your preferred disc doesn't have the necessary subs for you, it shouldn't be a problem now.
That's only the theory, whether in reality it will take off is another matter.
I think you are getting Blu-Ray and HD DVD mixed up.

HD DVD does support this feature.

I'm sure downloadable subtitles will be supported in Blu-Ray under Profile 1.1 but no Standalone players have a Network port.

So at present the only Blu-Ray player with a network port is the PS/3 and at the moment Sony have not confirmed if it can be flashed to support Profile 1.1. And on top of that no current disk supports downloadable subs.

NOTE: I am not bashing Blu-Ray and I am aware this is my first post - I'm not trolling, so please no flaming!!! :wink:
Last edited by CarbonToe on 12 Oct 2007, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You're quoting the wrong person ;) . AFAIK HD-DVD hasn't utilised it yet though, right?
but no Standalone players have a Network port.
The forthcoming Samsung Combo will :D

p.s - Welcome to the forum.
CarbonToe
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by CarbonToe »

bradavon wrote:You're quoting the wrong person ;) . AFAIK HD-DVD hasn't utilised it yet though, right?
but no Standalone players have a Network port.
The forthcoming Samsung Combo will :D

p.s - Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome, I know the Blu vs HD is a touchy subject and a lot of people are very agressive in their stance.

I just Quoted in my previous post as it had been a few pages ince the subject was mentioned.

The problem with Profile 1.1 is that manufacturers are pressuring Sony into not supporting it on the PS/3 so there is a clear line between their products (which are being sold at a premium) and the PS/3. I’m not sure that the Samsung dual format player supports the IME and the full feature set of HD DVD

No, I'm not sure of any HD DVD disks that have downloadable subs, but it is supported and online content is being pushed by the studios.

I'm not sure if its been mentioned but the following are available (or coming soon) on HD DVD but all lack English Subs :(

Ashura (Ashura-jô no hitomi) [Japan]
The Castle of Sand (Suna no utsuwa) [Japan]
Curse of the Golden Flower [French]
Ghost of Mae Nak [German]
Hero (Director's cut) [German]
Keitai Keiji The Movie [Japan]
Naqoyqatsi [Japan]
Oldboy [Japan]
Pacchigi! [Japan]
Patlabor 2: The Movie [Japan]
Shinobi: Heart Under Blade [Japan]
The Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibei) [Japan]
Volcano High [Japan]
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

CarbonToe wrote:I know the Blu vs HD is a touchy subject and a lot of people are very agressive in their stance.
Yeah I know they get on my nerves. I'm a fanboy of "both" formats :D
CarbonToe wrote:The problem with Profile 1.1 is that manufacturers are pressuring Sony into not supporting it on the PS/3 so there is a clear line between their products (which are being sold at a premium) and the PS/3.
Does it matter as long Blu-ray finally gets BD-Java across the board?

The PS3 is just as much a premium product as BD Players. Given a choice I'd choose a BD Player no question, but I wouldn't buy either. Both BD and HD-DVD are non-starters for me until one format wins (which I'm not expecting any time soon) or a Combo Player is released, which I'm expecting by the year ends.
CarbonToe wrote:I’m not sure that the Samsung dual format player supports the IME and the full feature set of HD DVD.
It does for sure, so does the LG BH200 (LG's second attempt at a Combo Player).

The Samsung Combo is also very likely to support 1.1. It's been delayed until December in America (no word on elsewhere) and all the press releases tout BD-Java so it's very likely to be 1.1.

The spec is getting better by the day, it will be absolutely stacked. Assuming performance and reliability is decent, which won't be known until it's released.
CarbonToe wrote:No, I'm not sure of any HD DVD disks that have downloadable subs, but it is supported and online content is being pushed by the studios.
It's a great idea but if they have subs they'd be better off just adding them in the first place.
CarbonToe wrote:I'm not sure if its been mentioned but the following are available (or coming soon) on HD DVD but all lack English Subs :(
Thanks. Old Boy is known about:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=3963

But I don't think the rest have been mentioned. If they don't have English subs they immediately lose all interest for me. I would've been interested in Hero easily and also Twilight Samurai.

Curse of the Golden Flower already has a great USA BD.

Blu-ray and HD-DVD is like R1 and R2 to me. I'm planning to be able to play both (like my DVD is MR) so I'll just pick up whichever is best and not be concerned if it's BD or HD-DVD.
CarbonToe
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by CarbonToe »

bradavon wrote:Blu-ray and HD-DVD is like R1 and R2 to me. I'm planning to be able to play both (like my DVD is MR) so I'll just pick up whichever is best and not be concerned if it's BD or HD-DVD.
People are not going to spend $1000 on a standalone player when they can get a PS/3 for half the price unless it offers more. At the moment the PS/3 player is almost as good and more future proof. I'm not sure how all the early adopters who have spent a lot of money on stand alone players are going to take Profile 1.1.

Thats great news about the Dual format player, now they need to get the price right!!!

I'm waiting for Sony to stop mucking about with the BluRay standards. Once they do that and there is a region free player I'll get one.

HD DVD is region free and player prices are so cheap so go out and buy one!!! :) It will be cheaper than buying a dual format player.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

PS3's are cheap as chips now, they've released a cheaper 40GB SKU (at loss of backward compatibility with PS2 games, memory card ports and card reader). This will become the only SKU available in PAL regions, the 60GB has been discontinued.

If HDD space is a problem then just upgrade it with any old 2.5" laptop SATA drive.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's a lot when I've zero interest in games and is completely the wrong shape. I'd be hard pressed to fit it in my home cinema cabinet :D . I'd only want it's Blu-ray capabilities and for that alone it's overkill.

People who keep saying you'd be mad not to but a PS3 (and HD-DVD maybe) keep forgetting not everyone is interested in computer games, most people in fact.

When I did play them I used to have more fun getting them to work on my PC than actually playing the game itself :D . I've only completed 2-3 games. I did complete Screamer but only by cheating and using the super car :D
CarbonToe wrote:People are not going to spend $1000 on a standalone player when they can get a PS/3 for half the price unless it offers more.
I would, over a PS3 but no I wouldn't overall. They're not that price anyway, that price is old but people still keep quoting it. They are much more than HD-DVD Players though.

Besides I'm talking about a Combo for around that price which also offers HD-DVD so much, much more to me than a PS3 can handle.
CarbonToe wrote:I'm not sure how all the early adopters who have spent a lot of money on stand alone players are going to take Profile 1.1.
Yeah that mush suck, but at least you can play most of the extras (probably) and definitely still play the movie.
CarbonToe wrote:Once they do that and there is a region free player I'll get one.
You'll be waiting a long time. Longer than I want to wait, especially as a Combo Player is on the horizon. So close I can almost touch it :D
CarbonToe wrote:HD DVD is region free and player prices are so cheap so go out and buy one!!! :) It will be cheaper than buying a dual format player.
Hell no I don't want two pieces equipment that's insane to me, especially as I already own a high end DVD Player, which handles DVD-A and SACD (why I'm keeping it) and a Hard Disk/DVD Recorder. Oh and a PVR too.

When you add the price of a PS3 and Toshiba HD-DVD Player there's not much in it anyway.