Asian Movies in HD!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

a ps3 can be had for less than 300 quid now,still the best blu-ray player out there and the latest toshiba can be had for less than 200 notes with 7 free hd-dvds 8) it´s piss cheap to get into HD right now,as for combo players i have my doubts,great in theory the last one released was an abysmal piece of kit from what i hear.for those waiting for the combo,good luck :D
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

To be fair it only failed as it didn't support HD-DVDs HDI sure it should have but lets not blow it up bigging than it actually was. If you don't care about extras it whips the PS3 and Tohisba's HD-DVD Players ass IMO, probably. It was also the first attempt at combining the formats.

Has everyone forgotten Toshiba's first HD-DVD Player? The one which used PC parts and was slow as hell.

The Samsung Combo which definitely will whip PS3 and Tohisba's HD-DVD Players ass, based on the spec. so far anyway. It's very close now, no need for good luck really. Samsung have an excellent track record.

I'd take the Samsung Combo over a PS3 and Toshiba HD-DVD Player even if it isn't perfect.
a ps3 can be had for less than 300 quid now,still the best blu-ray player out there and the latest toshiba can be had for less than 200 notes.
That makes it more expensive than the Samsung Combo. I suspect Samsung know this and are making sure it's less. The free titles mean squat to me, save selling the crud ones on. It's certainly not something I'd pay much attention to.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Brad this sounds bitchy but I´ll listen to you more when your God of a combo player comes out and you do what Romero,gasteropod and myself have done,actually bought into the format and played some discs. :P i´m no technical expert but as my house contains 2 hd players,2 blu-ray players and a sky hd box i reckon i know what i´m talking about. you didn´t rejoin the dvdforums under the name Zotar did you :lol:
Last edited by saltysam on 16 Oct 2007, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
The Samsung Combo which definitely will whip PS3 and Tohisba's HD-DVD Players ass, based on the spec. so far anyway. It's very close now, no need for good luck really. Samsung have an excellent track record.
tell that to the samsung blu-ray owners still waiting for a firmware upgrade to play the latest fox discs in the states. the ps3,whose arse will be whipped by samsung apparently played them no problem 8)
CarbonToe
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by CarbonToe »

bradavon wrote:When you add the price of a PS3 and Toshiba HD-DVD Player there's not much in it anyway.
The way you were talking I thought you had a PS/3 for Blu-Ray playback hence me saying "purchase a HD DVD player (such as the EP35 for approx £300) would be cheaper than the combo player (which will be about £800)

If you have neither you should go for HD DVD as it is region free, you'll be waiting forever for half of the Blu-Ray catalogue from around the world to be released locally rather than just importing !!!

Then just go combo when Sony sort out their format.
saltysam wrote:Brad this sounds bitchy but I´ll listen to you more when your God of a combo player comes out and you do what Romero,gasteropod and myself have done,actually bought into the format and played some discs. :P i
Yup, that sounded bitchy all right!!!!! :lol:
saltysam wrote:tell that to the samsung blu-ray owners still waiting for a firmware upgrade to play the latest fox discs in the states. the ps3,whose arse will be whipped by samsung apparently played them no problem 8)
Yeah, I'd hate to say it but the PS/3 is the best Blu player at the moment.

Pitty you have to buy a dongle to get universal remotes to work with it rather than them being supported out of the box.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote: The free titles mean squat to me, save selling the crud ones on. It's certainly not something I'd pay much attention to.
bully for you,whoopy-doo :lol: it does me,in fact when i get back to the uk from rain sodden Spain next week i´m gonna join the hundreds over at the dvdforums and order 1 for 198 quid delivered,sell or trade the 7 discs and i have a latest gen Tosh for just over a ton 8) i´ll keep my E-1 and move it to the bedroom,my lcd tv there has a hdmi socket doing nothing.man,i can´t wait :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:Brad this sounds bitchy but I´ll listen to you more when your God of a combo player comes out and you do what Romero,gasteropod and myself have done,actually bought into the format and played some discs. :P
Fair point. Please vent your bitchiness in the direction of Samsung and tell them to stop delaying the player, and to get their ass into gear ;)
saltysam wrote:you didn´t rejoin the dvdforums under the name Zotar did you :lol:
LOL, no. I've little to no interest to ever rejoin that forum.
saltysam wrote:Tell that to the samsung blu-ray owners still waiting for a firmware upgrade to play the latest fox discs in the states.
Really? Oh dear. Why are Fox discs so different?

I've no problem with the PS3 per say but it is incredibly overrated. Where are the analogue outputs for starters? AFAIK DTS-HD hasn't been announced period.
If you have neither you should go for HD DVD as it is region free, you'll be waiting forever for half of the Blu-Ray catalogue from around the world to be released locally rather than just importing !!!
I'm not so hung up on BD regional coding as others. Sure it will be nice but in reality when I get Samsung Combo I'll be able to play HD-DVD and as it will be a USA Import all USA, Canadian and most Asian BD Discs no problem (assuming it has no firmware issues like Salty says).

I'd only be stuck if a UK or Aussie only label decided to use BD exclusively and also use BD regional coding. I'm not aware of any. AFAIK all the UK labels that release BD also release HD-DVD and don't put regional coding on their BD discs anyway.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

will the american samsung combo be pal/ntsc for sd dvd? just that if a region hack to play sd becomes available the yank version might not play pal discs.the uk version will be ntsc/pal i assume?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:will the american samsung combo be pal/ntsc for sd dvd? just that if a region hack to play sd becomes available the yank version might not play pal discs.the uk version will be ntsc/pal i assume?
Good point, pass.

I know some USA HD Players cannot handle PAL (strangely) but nothing has been mentioned on the Samsung. It's a good test to try a Region Free PAL disc when I get one though. I'm sure I must have some, maybe from Tartan.

I imagine the UK version will support both, yes.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

my american ps3 doesn´t play pal,the uk one does pal/ntsc.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I guess they leave it out as no one in America needs it. It must be something extra they need to add, so don't bother.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Now THAT is a surprise:

Flashpoint on Blu-Ray.

Region A, apparently.
I hope someone will crack Blu-Ray's region coding soon.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Another reason to import a Blu-Ray Player/PS3 from America.

Region A is also Asia so it make sense. I'd be very surprised if it actually turns out to be region A though. Most DVDs are Region Free after all.

It's got Cantonese PCM AND DTS-HD MA. I do wonder why they bother to do this. The same goes for BDs with PCM and Dolby True-HD. The master will be the same so when decoded it will sound identical, well in theory anyway.

p.s - The DDD listing for Infernal Affairs now say it's Region Free.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

I'd be very surprised if it actually turns out to be region A
Word of caution, though:
Infernal Affairs was released by Megastar.
FlashPoint comes from Deltamac. There's no way to know what they're going to do re: Blu-Ray region coding.
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I know ;)

That still doesn't change the fact most HK DVDs are Region Free. All I'm saying is I cannot see it actually being RA.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I can't believe My Sassy Girl is out on HD but has no fucking English subs :shock: :( . I doubt we'll be seeing it on HD again until the Koreans release it, maybe Hong Kong too.

Along with Terminator I hope House of Flying Daggers gets a re-release somewhere else, not only is it badly cut it features Picture Quality no better than the DVD. BD25 + MPEG2 + PCM = A disaster!

Don't forget Oldboy USA too. Oh and Fearless is coming to UK HD-DVD soon too, it has considerably better cover art to the USA HD-DVD and no silly PG-13 cut. Obviously it's not the DC though.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Can anyone tell me if the UK Blu-ray of Kung Fu Hustle is uncut? It appears that the US one is censored, but the UK DVD is supposedly uncut, so I'm hoping that the Blu-ray is too. I own the HK DVD but would like to upgrade.

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I thought the UK DVD was also cut?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Rewind: R2 United Kingdom - (Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment) - No Cuts.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I read that but I thought it was still cut.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

When it comes to KFH, there's "uncut" and there's "uncut". :D
There's a version that's cut for violence and another which is both cut for violence and censored.

The only true confirmed uncut version (AFAIK) is the HK DVD.

The korean BD is supposedly uncut as well.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:Can anyone tell me if the UK Blu-ray of Kung Fu Hustle is uncut? It appears that the US one is censored, but the UK DVD is supposedly uncut, so I'm hoping that the Blu-ray is too. I own the HK DVD but would like to upgrade.

i have the uk blu-ray,certainly the bits cut in the usa release are there,the blood spurt fron chow's mouth after the woman hits hin in pigsty alley, the guy dumping on the floor is there as well (the dump was digitally removed in the usa release)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Thanks Salty, sounds like it is uncut like my HK DVD then :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

tom2681 wrote:The only true confirmed uncut version (AFAIK) is the HK DVD.
Does that have anything on top of the UK BD?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I've never read anything like that, and from Salty's description it sounds like my HK DVD.