Downrange (Ryuhei Kitamura, 2017)

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Downrange (Ryuhei Kitamura, 2017)

Post by Guro Taku »

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBf0xLj7FhU

First of all, that's a pretty decent trailer, even if gets a bit spoilery towards the end as far as character deaths are concerned. I liked how it was edited to the rifle's reloading sound. These days even trailers bore me most of the time and this one didn't so that's something.

I'm not the biggest fan of this backcountry slasher/survival horror genre but I have some faith in Kitamura, who here returns to English language features after his Japanese language LUPIN III flick in 2014. He somehow managed to make a very stylish and watchable horror flick from an absolute dogshit script with MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN so I hope he'll once again direct the hell out of this tired premise.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Downrange (Ryuhei Kitamura, 2017)

Post by HungFist »

Could be alright.

I'm one of the few people on this planet who liked No One Lives, in fact, I think it's the best thing Kitamura had done in a long time...
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

I like NO ONE LIVES as well. Unlike MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN, it had a really great script. I just checked and the screenwriter has a new film coming up called TASTE, to be directed by Joe Lynch of WRONG TURN 2, EVERLY and MAYHEM. Something to keep an eye on!

The funny thing is that Kitamura seems to get shoved into the horror drawer for his English language output. I don't really mind but his ultra-slick style always seemed better suited to action fare to me.
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

I'll be seeing this tomorrow at a festival. In the meantime, here's a poster:

Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

The trailer is a very accurate representation of the film you get. It's very much a single-location flick with no story other than kids get trapped in the middle of nowhere and have to try to outwit a deranged shooter. The car crash is the first thing that happens, then there's a few minutes for character development and then it's nonstop carnage. Lot's of gnarly practical affects and Kitamura brings his trademark camerawork. Not sure it's something I need to buy and rewatch a lot but well worth checking out.