Re: The Play.com Bargains Thread!

Post by bradavon »

Thank you. I'll give it a go.
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

i paid 30.00 for Alien Anthology and its still sealed. :angry:

So is my R1 quadrilogy dvd from when it first came out, come to think of it. :o :roll:
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

brooce-leroy wrote:i paid 30.00 for Alien Anthology and its still sealed. :angry:
I'll give ya £20 for it. :cool:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Code no longer works.

Alien is back to £27.99 but it's a no go. Bah.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Play.com to be sold off for £25 million:

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/ ... on-1028239
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Hmm....
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

to CD wow :clap:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Play.com has been shite lately anyway. First I had to enter an extra pincode when I ordered something with my creditcard, and now the whole site has had a shitty redesign. Fuck them. I'll stick to zavvi and amazon.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:to CD wow :clap:
:D
Yi-Long wrote:First I had to enter an extra pincode when I ordered something with my creditcard
It's an extra bank check that's on pretty much all UK e-tailors now. The bank imposes it. It's hardly a big deal and makes your transaction more secure.

Your reasons for going elsewhere are laughable :D :D :D.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
romerojpg wrote:to CD wow :clap:
:D
Yi-Long wrote:First I had to enter an extra pincode when I ordered something with my creditcard
It's an extra bank check that's on pretty much all UK e-tailors now. The bank imposes it. It's hardly a big deal and makes your transaction more secure.

Your reasons for going elsewhere are laughable :D :D :D.
Haven't come across it (yet?) on amazon.co.uk or zavvi .... and considering I didn't have a pincode for my creditcar, it was kinda annoying as it made me miss out on a good deal.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Everyone has a pincode for their CC, if you mean the 3 extra digits on the back of the card. Everyone has to enter those now :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've not seen it used on Amazon either but I bet it'll come. It's a bank initiative (maybe not imposed) that's catching on. It's extra security. How's that a bad thing? Credit/debit card details are always getting nabbed. The idea is this pin is much harder to find out.

p.s - Yi doesn't mean the number on the back of your card Grim :).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm not sure what he means then, maybe thats a measure for non UK customers :?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Oh Grim. I've already said I get it too. When you checkout at many websites now you're taken to your banks website and accessed for a password (you've previously given them). You must do this to complete the transaction. In the case of Nationwide it asks you for 3 letters randomly from your password.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

I've had two orders go missing from zavvi recently...fair enough,they replaced and the replacements arrived quickly...which makes me think maybe the originals weren't despatched in the first place.they have some good prices but i'll look elsewhere first.
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

bradavon wrote:Oh Grim. I've already said I get it too. When you checkout at many websites now you're taken to your banks website and accessed for a password (you've previously given them). You must do this to complete the transaction. In the case of Nationwide it asks you for 3 letters randomly from your password.
Ah OK, I think I sometimes get these too.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Scarface Blu-ray £6.99:

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/2767 ... oduct.html

I'm so picking this up later today, after I've had the last of my presents. It'll be my fourth version I've owned: VHS, Single disc DVD, 2 Disc Collector's Edition (lame 5.1), 2 Disc Platinum Edition (proper remixed 5.1).

Second cheapest I can find is £9.95 at zavvi.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I was about to post that bargain myself... you should note however that it's missing the 1932 version on DVD which is included with the US BD.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Does that interest you? It's the remake on Blu-ray that only interests me. I understand the UK BD has the proper opening credit text, unlike all prior UK DVDs.

I got it for Xmas today. It's got Disc 1 of the Special Edition DVD instead too and and a Digital Copy DVD. Both pointless but nice to have I guess.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Does that interest you? It's the remake on Blu-ray that only interests me.
Nice to have an entire film as an extra. I haven't seen Howard Hawks' Scarface since I was a kid (and thus don't remember it at all) but it's regarded as a classic. I'm sure it's worth seeing.
I understand the UK BD has the proper opening credit text, unlike all prior UK DVDs.
I hate video generated text.
It's got Disc 1 of the Special Edition DVD instead too and and a Digital Copy DVD. Both pointless but nice to have I guess.
I don't need a DVD of the 1983 version when I'm buying the Blu Ray... whereas it's unlikely I'd buy the 1932 version on its own. I suppose if one already owns it...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I don't need a DVD of the 1983 version when I'm buying the Blu Ray... whereas it's unlikely I'd buy the 1932 version on its own. I suppose if one already owns it...
Agreed. I'd prefer buying the BD cheaper than more to get the US 1932 DVD though. We all know these triple plays are purely there to give a reason for artificially keeping the BD price up. I've yet to meet/speak to anyone who wants them.

Pulp Fiction BD is £8.99: http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/2190 ... oduct.html

It's not a major bargain given that it's been £6 at Amazon.com and also at Play.com too I seem to recall. Now Xmas is over I'll get it and Jackie Brown when they're both about £6. They titles ripe for the price dropping further and I'd want to upgrade both at the same time.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Triple Play editions make perfect sense for family films, the idea being you have a copy for downstairs/upstairs/PC without having to buy extra BD players for your kids. Not sure it makes any kind of sense for a film like Scarface though! :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Triple Play came in handy for me this Xmas, my dad doesn't have a Blu-ray player so we stuck on the bonus DVD of Source Code. Well that particular edition isn't 'Triple Play', but same concept.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I guess so. Assuming it has a DVD drive I'd rather use the DVD on a PC though. I'm all for TV shows/soaps on smartphones but full movies is insane.

The Planet of the Apes Triple Play sticks the Digital Copy on the DVD. There's no technical reason you need a third disc for the digital copy. Both CDs and DVD support different video/audio/data tracks on the same disc. Albums (space aside) could feasibly have a VCD track on the CD too.

The trouble is, whilst it maybe useful, it's being used to keep the BD price higher.