The off-topic topic

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
Post Reply
User avatar
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 470
Joined: 03 Jan 2014, 02:30
Location: the 80's

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by RetroRobot »

The American mindset of violence=good, sex=bad... is something I will never understand.

On a sidenote... and I don't wanna become the BaronK of this forum, but I was just stunned about this story.

I am truly losing all faith in humanity these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_fB3qqocKs

TheYoda
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 9
Joined: 30 Dec 2013, 13:28

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by TheYoda »

Okay, so this is basically the "make fun of America" forum. Awesome. Can I just get a few words in please before you take your generalizations any further? :roll:

HungFist wrote:This reminds me why I never want to live in the US.

28 People Who Got A Gun For Christmas This Year
- http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/people- ... -this-year
I've never owned a gun and probably never will, but I also know plenty of people who have them and never use them. This whole idea that America is this old west where anyone could get shot and killed at any time because of gun happy Americans is moronic. Ironically, the most violent places are the ones with the strictest gun control laws.
HungFist wrote:This bit of old news...

...Swamp Thing cut for PG rating, then later accidentally released uncut with two topless scenes (with the same PG rating)... discovered when an enraged American mom complained that her son saw a pair of breasts...
- http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=42569

... reminded me that what the hell is it that Americans find so frightening about breasts???? :lol: This just doesn't go into my Finnish skull. Why are breasts forbidden from children?

What about girls in real life? Are they forbidden to look in the mirror... they might see their own breasts Image
You know my uncle always said, "What's more realistic, a naked woman or someone getting shot in the head?" I agree with this of course. And in fact I would argue a lot of Americans don't care about nudity in cinema anymore, but the loudest ones are who make the headlines.
RetroRobot wrote:The American mindset of violence=good, sex=bad... is something I will never understand.
No, not violence "good", just violence more palatable and acceptable than sex. But actually a lot of shows and movies have a distinct anti-violence message these days.
Last edited by TheYoda on 12 Jan 2014, 17:48, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 470
Joined: 03 Jan 2014, 02:30
Location: the 80's

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by RetroRobot »

TheYoda wrote:No, not violence "good", just violence more palatable and acceptable than sex
Eeeeh... ok.

And this is not the "making fun of America forum" as far as im concerned. There's plenty of things I like about America, and plenty of things I don't like, just like any other country. There's plenty of things wrong here in Denmark, but people won't know, care or relate, hence it won't spark any discussion or response.

TheYoda
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 9
Joined: 30 Dec 2013, 13:28

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by TheYoda »

RetroRobot wrote: And this is not the "making fun of America forum" as far as im concerned. There's plenty of things I like about America, and plenty of things I don't like, just like any other country.
Fair enough. I've just been hearing the same arguments a lot lately on these and other forums. I don't love everything America either, but sometimes I feel people get a very odd view of things...

User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 10988
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by HungFist »

TheYoda wrote:Can I just get a few words in please before you take your generalizations any further? :roll:
You're welcome
TheYoda wrote: Ironically, the most violent places are the ones with the strictest gun control laws.
I'm not sure what places you're talking about, but Japan sure doesn't fall into that. Gun control is extremely strict here. Almost no one owns a gun. And almost no one ever gets shot in Japan. There's never been a school shooting in Japan either.

Admittedly, the issue is much more complex than that. Japan benefits from a different kind of set of values which work against the type violence we see in the US (though bullying remains a major issue). USA is stuck in the cold war style situation where "everyone" must be armed in order to retain the balance of fear. Of course you can't just ban guns in USA all of a sudden... there's multiple times more guns in USA than people.

Nevetheless, as it stands, I'm happy to live in Japan. Been here for 3 years, I have never felt scared even once in this country. Never. Not even in the dark back alleys in Tokyo in the middle of the night.
TheYoda wrote: You know my uncle always said, "What's more realistic, a naked woman or someone getting shot in the head?" I agree with this of course. And in fact I would argue a lot of Americans don't care about nudity in cinema anymore, but the loudest ones are who make the headlines.
Your uncle's got point... if we talk about sex! When it comes to sex I'd also be concerned what kind of stuff my kids (when I have some) see on TV and movies. If presented in a nice, mature and romantic sense, no problem at all. But I don't want them to see some random porn which gives a very unrealistic image of sex

When it comes to nudity, however, I just can't understand what is wrong with being naked? It's everyday reality to anyone who cares to take a shower. It's not related to sex. In Finland we go to sauna (no, we don't wear swimsuits or towels) all the time. Sometimes mixed too (though usually not). Same in Japan with onsen (hot spring). What harm can seeing naked people possibly do to children?

(and yes, some retard ancient law still censors genitals from movies here. It sucks. And leads to absurd situations where you can depict in great detail a splatter-rape-murder of a school girl on screen, and sell it as entertainment, but you have to censor the genitals)
TheYoda wrote:Okay, so this is basically the "make fun of America" forum. Awesome.
Well, that's bound to happen with the arrogancy and cluelessness that some Americans frequently demonstrate - somehow thinking USA is the best country in the world. But no, Al-Qaida aside no one hates America, people are just a bit irritated and like to point out some the things USA gets utterly "wrong".

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21761
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by grim_tales »

In Japan I assumed onsen were usually single sex and not mixed? Or am I wrong? :)

TheYoda
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 9
Joined: 30 Dec 2013, 13:28

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by TheYoda »

HungFist wrote:
I'm not sure what places you're talking about, but Japan sure doesn't fall into that.
I'm talking about places in America. The stricter the gun control, the worse the gun violence. I got statistics to back that up too.
HungFist wrote: Nevetheless, as it stands, I'm happy to live in Japan. Been here for 3 years, I have never felt scared even once in this country. Never. Not even in the dark back alleys in Tokyo in the middle of the night.
I've never felt scared either. That's basically what I'm trying to say here. America isn't some wasteland Gotham City that people seem to view it as. It's got problems, sure, but who doesn't?

(Japan sounds great, though. I should definitely visit!)
Well, that's bound to happen with the arrogancy and cluelessness that some Americans frequently demonstrate
And other countries don't have these people? Sorry, but it just seems it's always about the USA. I mean, you're right in that there are plenty of clueless people, but again, that's everywhere. I also feel that there is quite an anti-America movement going on here too. I'm sure some people still think we are the best, but that's changing...
HungFist wrote: When it comes to nudity, however, I just can't understand what is wrong with being naked? It's everyday reality to anyone who cares to take a shower. It's not related to sex. In Finland we go to sauna (no, we don't wear swimsuits or towels) all the time. Sometimes mixed too (though usually not). Same in Japan with onsen (hot spring). What harm can seeing naked people possibly do to children?
Some great points here. Some people just develop certain mind sets about these things as being "bad" or whatever...

User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 10988
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by HungFist »

TheYoda wrote:
HungFist wrote:
I'm not sure what places you're talking about, but Japan sure doesn't fall into that.
I'm talking about places in America. The stricter the gun control, the worse the gun violence. I got statistics to back that up too.
I would suppose that's because guns travels across state borders easily.

I don't have a solution for USA's gun issue. If you started collecting guns from everyone, probably only the people who'd never use them (for the wrong purposes) would hand them in. Maybe if you gradually made acquiring guns harder and harder, and built 100 new prisons and locked everyone for even mild gun offences... but that would be quite unrealistic.

In Japan it works - even members of organized crime usually don't carry guns because it's too risky. If they're caught with a gun (even if they commited no other crime) they're immediately facing a prison sentence I believe. For potential school shooters its almost impossible to get a hold of a gun. But this kind of situation is perhaps possible because Japan never had much of a gun problem in the first place - nor gun culture.

I don't know the UK policy. Has one of the lowest gun homicide rates in the world. Guys (Mark, Grimm...) how did you achieve that?

I don't blame those Americans who want to own a gun to defend themselves. In Japan no one needs one because there's very little violent criminality in the country, even if someone would end up breaking into your house, you can be 99.99% sure he isn't armed. Though in USA, surely you don't need an assault rifle to defend your home (unless you're a Colombian drug lord...)?

As for being afraid - well, I've never been in USA so I'm just making assumptions, but based in what I see in the news, I sure would be looking over my back. Hell, I do that in Finland, especially in Helsinki, too.
grim_tales wrote:In Japan I assumed onsen were usually single sex and not mixed? Or am I wrong? :)
Usually single sex, yes. Supposedly there's mixed somewhere, but I've never come across one.

User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 10988
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by HungFist »

Related news
Smart Rifle never misses, now comes in semi-automatic form

Also, a bit of statistics. Math isn't my strongest subject, but I think I got these right. Figures are per year, sourced from Gun Policy, compared years may not always match as they don't state details. Take as rough reference.

Image Image

Image Image

Japan gun homicide percentage is surprisingly high at 9%... may relate to a small number of yakuza shootings, but that's just my guess. The yakuza do have guns, they just don't usually carry them unless they intend to use them against each other.

Trivia: Joe Shishido once tried to smuggle a gun from the US to Japan.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19990
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by Markgway »

I don't hate Americans and this forum isn't anti-American.
Everyone is welcome here.
But when it comes to the issue of guns, well...

I know that millions of Americans take a sensible attitude toward gun control and I respect them for it. I sympathise with more liberal Americans who are often unfairly lumped into the same category as right-wing gun nuts. Unfortunately, to foreigners like us, the image America portrays of itself isn't always a positive one and that's what 'we' react to. When so-called Democrats refuse to have the balls to bring in mandatory gun checks you know something is far awry...
Image

saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9332
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:I don't hate Americans and this forum isn't anti-American.
Everyone is welcome here.
But when it comes to the issue of guns, well...

I know that millions of Americans take a sensible attitude toward gun control and I respect them for it. I sympathise with more liberal Americans who are often unfairly lumped into the same category as right-wing gun nuts. Unfortunately, to foreigners like us, the image America portrays of itself isn't always a positive one and that's what 'we' react to. When so-called Democrats refuse to have the balls to bring in mandatory gun checks you know something is far awry...
there's far worse things going on in other parts of the world tbh.
working class blu-ray fan

User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 10988
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by HungFist »

I'm really not trying to make too much a political statement here, but interesting/related news just keep coming in for some reason:

Man Shot Dead in Movie Theater for Texting

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19990
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote: there's far worse things going on in other parts of the world tbh.
Not in self-proclaimed "civilized" countries.

We're not talking about war zones or regions where human rights is a dirty word.
Image

TheYoda
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 9
Joined: 30 Dec 2013, 13:28

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by TheYoda »

HungFist wrote:If you started collecting guns from everyone, probably only the people who'd never use them (for the wrong purposes) would hand them in.
This is pretty much it. This is why I disagree with a full-on ban. If you want to commit violence, you will find a way to get a gun, even with a ban.

Those statistics you point out sure make my country look pretty bad. I'm sure a lot of that is from the big cities like New York, Chicago, LA, etc. I've never lived in any of these cities, though I've visited them briefly (New York is actually really awesome). I guess that's why I don't have a problem with a person's right to own a gun (a hand gun, not an assault rifle), I've always felt safe where I've lived and my friends who own guns are mature, responsible people.
the image America portrays of itself isn't always a positive one
An image I'd argue that's shaped or rather 'directed' by media.
HungFist wrote:I'm really not trying to make too much a political statement here, but interesting/related news just keep coming in for some reason:

Man Shot Dead in Movie Theater for Texting
Disgusting. I hate talking and texting in theaters just like the next person, but how can you lose your hold on reality like this and think it's okay to pull a gun on someone you disagree with? And then kill them?! This makes me very angry...and sad.

TheYoda
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 9
Joined: 30 Dec 2013, 13:28

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by TheYoda »

Markgway wrote:
saltysam wrote: there's far worse things going on in other parts of the world tbh.
Not in self-proclaimed "civilized" countries.

We're not talking about war zones or regions where human rights is a dirty word.
Btw, what is your criteria for "civilized"?

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19990
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by Markgway »

TheYoda wrote:Btw, what is your criteria for "civilized"?
Human and political rights.
Image

User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 10988
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by HungFist »

Stupidity goes global! Korean TV censors Botticelli's Venus

Image
- https://twitter.com/ryuganji/status/424797748638912512

I mean for fuck's sake, is it even possible to get more retarded than that?

Image

User avatar
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 470
Joined: 03 Jan 2014, 02:30
Location: the 80's

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by RetroRobot »

BEEEEWBS ARE EVIL!!!!

If we could just get rid of religion, then one could hope that all this pathetic prudishness and misguided morality would slowly fade away. I honestly can't believe that these imaginary sky gods have lasted more than 2000 years.... it's embarrassing for the human race. Wake up, man.

As much as I hate Denmark from time to time, there are also things I love. At around noon today, there was a commercial on tv for a comedy show, showing a dude slapping another dude, wearing a mask, in the face with his dick. Now, am I particularly interested in seeing this guy's wang banging against the other guys head? No, but im glad that I live in a country where that is allowed on tv in the middle of the day. You may find it in poor taste, you may be offended... but nobody is hurt or mentally scarred by it. It is seriously time for certain sections of the human race to grow up.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19990
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by Markgway »

A penis on television!?!

Image
Image

TheYoda
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 9
Joined: 30 Dec 2013, 13:28

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by TheYoda »

RetroRobot wrote:BEEEEWBS ARE EVIL!!!!

If we could just get rid of religion, then one could hope that all this pathetic prudishness and misguided morality would slowly fade away. I honestly can't believe that these imaginary sky gods have lasted more than 2000 years.... it's embarrassing for the human race. Wake up, man.
Wow...someone really wants to see boobs on TV...

User avatar
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 470
Joined: 03 Jan 2014, 02:30
Location: the 80's

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by RetroRobot »

Yes... yes I do.

User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 19990
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by Markgway »

I remember when I was a kid (13-ish) I used to watch the German channels (on Cable TV) because their afternoon adverts would have naked women in them. :D
Image

saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9332
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by saltysam »

Worst blu-ray cover ever IMO...unless you guys can find worse

Image
working class blu-ray fan

User avatar
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 470
Joined: 03 Jan 2014, 02:30
Location: the 80's

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by RetroRobot »

That is pretty fucking dire!

It's funny, for the most part, VHS covers would somewhat honor the original poster art, then DVD came, and they tried to get all clever and photoshoppy with it, but BluRay just takes the cake. Some of the blandest and ugliest cover art ever. There are some good ones, but yeah... that Rocky one is a good example.

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 21761
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The off-topic topic

Post by grim_tales »

Agree that in general Blu Ray art seems to be really bland, why?!

Post Reply