Death Note - Best DVD Version?

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Death Note - Best DVD Version?

Post by thelostdragon »

I'm really interested in the "Death Note"-live action films. Does anybody know which DVDs are the best out there? The UK discs seem interesting.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5541044/ ... oduct.html
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Welcome back LD! :D
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Hey Grim! So you have no idea?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Some reviews of different discs

R1
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/34981/death-note/
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/915/915073p1.html

R3HK
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64809

R3K
http://dvdfreak.bloudil.cz/freak.php?p=deathnote&dz=0

R4
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Re ... sp?ID=8171

I don't know which one is the best.

dvdfromkorea has the 3 disc kr set (probably R2J ports, since jp subs present) for $18
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Thanks Hung, very much appreciated! Just bought the R4. :)

Thread can be closed now.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Unfortunately not LD, just wanted to say hi ;)
diceman
Pedicab Driver

Post by diceman »

I heard, that the Korean Release is supposed to have good picture quality, but the subs are poor; grammatical mistakes and all.
Somehow I came to like the movies, both of them. I loved the characters and the concept, although it tends to get pretty ridiculous and chaotic in the second part. That's why I'm currently reading the Manga, which by volume 3 becomes pretty ridiculous, too, but offers a lot more insight into characters' motivations. If you put up with it, "Death Note" can be a lot of fun.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I ordered the HK dvd of Part 2. Something to watch during the christmas holidays. Saw part 1 on big screen a couple of months ago and thought it was pretty good.

How about L Change the World? It was huge last summer (the ads at Shibuya, and trailers in every damn dvd store) but I the feedback hasn't been overly positive...
diceman
Pedicab Driver

Post by diceman »

There was a huge Genre-Filmfest around here in Germany where I've been watching quite a few cool flicks, but just on that day when "L: Change the World" was on, I had to be present on my very kind Grandma's 80th birthday.
I heard a lot of positive stuff, though, from various sources, but there's also supposed to be a Fanservice-thing going on with this movie: if you liked the L's character, you'll most likely fall in love with "Change the World", too. But not because it's particularly well written or has lots of good action to offer, but just because L will be there, and he's eating sweets and acting weird, which you'll agree on is pretty cool (or not).
I, for my part, will probably like it. The DVD has been on my wishlist for quite some time now.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I watched the HK dvd of The Last Name. There's a couple of typos in the subs but I didn't find that too bad. They also lag a tiny bit but I may be overly picky here (either way, these subs wouldn't meet my own fansubbing standards). As far as image goes I was a bit bothered by the edge enhancement. Looking at the KR caps here it seems like the KR release might have better picture.

HK cap

KR cap stolen from dvdfreak

More HK caps

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Has anyone got the UK editions? What are the running times? I can't find a single review, and other websites are an unreliable mess (some stating ntsc length and others pal length). The dvd distributor's own website is listing ntsc running time part 1 and pal for part 2.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Amazon user comments concerning L Change the World UK dvd

- My main issue with this film is that from scene 19 to the end the is picture headache-inducingly jittery.

- I bought this yesterday and had it replaced today due the the jitter in the last 40 minutes. Needless to say the replacement was just as bad. It doesn't seem quite as bad on my PC, but upscaled to 1080P via my PE3 it is terrible - it's first really noticeable starts as they're pushing their bicycles up a hill; if you pause and step advance they literally take two steps forward and one step back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2QDJIRT ... hisHelpful
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

This film series is trash, don't get so hang up on finding the best DVD releases, especially since we're in the HD era. Just watch the infinitely superior anime and be done with it.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Cartoons? Blah. The live action films feature lovely cute boys that look like boyband members. I think I need to try the UK disc on part 1 because I wanna see behind the scenes footage of these guys.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Do you swing that way, Hung? :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

L Change the World HK dvd is quite similar to The Last Name. The image looks good but comes with noticable edge enhancement. However, I found it a bit less distracting than last time. Maybe this is because Ken'ichi Matsuyama cuteness stole my attention. Anyway, the transfer is progressive, but turns interlaced for about 15 minutes around 67 min. The subs are again well done, except that the timings lag again. Extras on disc 2 do not feature English subtitles. That’s a shame, cause the film is quite good.

First I though the girl was played by Mitsuki Tanimura. But it's actually Mayuko Fukuda. They look quite similar, although Mitsuki is 4 years older. But I don't know either of them so well; I've seen Mitsuki in one film and this was the frst time I saw Mayuko.

Mayuko ----------------------------- Mitsuki
Image Image
diceman
Pedicab Driver

Post by diceman »

Hung-Fist, which DVDs do you own ("Death Note", "DN: Last Name" and the "Change the World" Spin-off)? How are the respective subs?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Death Note: UK (but I haven't watched this yet. I saw the film in cinema)
Last Name: HK. Subs lag a bit, but are otherwise good
Change the World: Same as Last Name