The HD News & Technology Thread!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The HD News & Technology Thread!

Post by bradavon »

I was thinking that :D. Dude, you've got my BD Players than TVs ;). It seems. Can the Oppo be made BD MR? Why do you prefer the Tevion to Limit?

p.s - PS3?
Tutut
Little White Dragon

Post by Tutut »

bradavon wrote:Can the Oppo be made BD MR?
You need a hardware modification, it seems the Cambridge Audio 650 BD is a BDP80 clone.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. Not for me then, unless it doesn't cost much more and is wildly available (pre-modded).

I'd never buy a Region Locked BD Player. I've got too use to my BD MR Player.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

My Oppo was pre-modded. To change regions with the player in standby press the blue button then 1 for A,2 For B,3 for C.it's permanently multi-region for dvd.has some cool options as well,source direct,subtitle shift,zoom options etc.it's a universal player that'll play anything.it's superfast as well in operation.
Last edited by saltysam on 09 Mar 2010, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
working class blu-ray fan
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote: Can the Oppo be made BD MR?
i bought it pre-modded.
bradavon wrote: Why do you prefer the Tevion to Limit?
i don't particularly but one of them had to be the spare.
bradavon wrote:p.s - PS3?
that's my son's so i don't really count it.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Samsung Says Don’t Use 3D While Pregnant, Tired, or Drunk :lol:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... Drunk/4537
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

:D

Imagine if you're all three!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

A female chav, then :lol:
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I think you mean a "chavette"...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

saltysam wrote:Just got an Oppo-BDP-80 player.
Still working well then? :D

I am thinking of getting an Oppo when they go full multi region with no modding, knowing Oppo that wont be too long now.
If I get a quality Oppo player that is full multiregion for Blu Rays and more importantly DVD's I can sell off a few players.
Really Oppo decimates every other dvd player I have seen or used, I dont want rid of my dvd player until Oppo out does its self.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:
saltysam wrote:Just got an Oppo-BDP-80 player.
Still working well then? :D

I am thinking of getting an Oppo when they go full multi region with no modding, knowing Oppo that wont be too long now.
If I get a quality Oppo player that is full multiregion for Blu Rays and more importantly DVD's I can sell off a few players.
Really Oppo decimates every other dvd player I have seen or used, I dont want rid of my dvd player until Oppo out does its self.
Yeah,it's great,no issues so far,very speedy and has some great features. Why don't you want to go for the modded version,it works well,press the blue button and 1 for A Blue button and 2 for B &Blue button and 3 for C :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The PS3 is now Blu-ray 3D compatible, I've just installed the update (but can't use it of course).
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup they could easily have charged us for that update, good to see they are not greedy bastards like X Box add ons.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

To charge they'd have to release a new PS3 3D model and that would just hinder 3D update. It's clear they're given it away to help uptake and sell their TVs. Like how Google give away Android, so they can make more from other Google services.

It's impressive Sony are still updating a BD Player that is 4 years old. Not surprising though, given it's their flagship games console. Avatar 3D is coming later this year but initially it's going to be exclusively sold with Panasonic TVs. I'm pretty sure Sony are going to do the same with Alice in Wonderland 3D.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:To charge they'd have to release a new PS3 3D model and that would just hinder 3D update. It's clear they're given it away to help uptake and sell their TVs. Like how Google give away Android, so they can make more from other Google services.

It's impressive Sony are still updating a BD Player that is 4 years old. Not surprising though, given it's their flagship games console. Avatar 3D is coming later this year but initially it's going to be exclusively sold with Panasonic TVs. I'm pretty sure Sony are going to do the same with Alice in Wonderland 3D.
Well I wouldn't say anything surprises me about any games console nowadays, they charge for many things, 3D would be no different at all.

The console really isn't 4 years old now mind you :D they released a fair few versions now, its onto a new 320GB one now, with much smaller chips inside so its quite and cooler (apparently) and better running. I wouldn't mind a new one for a smaller and more quiet running Blu Ray player.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:To charge they'd have to release a new PS3 3D model
No they wouldn't, they could have put it on the PS Store along with the games and that for sale.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

gasteropod wrote:
bradavon wrote:To charge they'd have to release a new PS3 3D model
No they wouldn't, they could have put it on the PS Store along with the games and that for sale.
Which they have just done with PS3TV (or whatever its called) you now have to pay to use it! so we are lucky we got 3D for free.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:The console really isn't 4 years old now mind you :D they released a fair few versions now, its onto a new 320GB one now, with much smaller chips inside so its quite and cooler (apparently) and better running. I wouldn't mind a new one for a smaller and more quiet running Blu Ray player.
Good point but it is largely the same console released back in 2006.
gasteropod wrote:No they wouldn't, they could have put it on the PS Store along with the games and that for sale.
It's a firmware upgrade though. So there maybe technical problems doing that. It's just a guess though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Here's an interesting article on how HD Picture quality is be marketed, at the complete loss of HD Audio:

http://hcc.techradar.com/blogs/dvd-addi ... e-quality-
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

One day I may get HD audio but what I have is fine for now.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I wish they'd just release some firmware/patch upgrade to make the BR/DVD playback region-free. I'd even be willing to pay for it.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

hd audio is ace.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:I wish they'd just release some firmware/patch upgrade to make the BR/DVD playback region-free. I'd even be willing to pay for it.
I can only presume BD Region Free must be really difficult to achieve because if it wasn't someone would've done it by now.
saltysam wrote:hd audio is ace.
Much better than DTS audio?

My Amp I bought Oct 2000 has a weird clicking/degaussing problem that sooner or later is going to make it go pop (it currently happens every few days but only once or twice). Then I'll get a new Amp. I cannot afford £200-300 right now and I live in the middle in a flat complex anyway.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

It pisses over DTS Brad, you may not immediately notice the improvement in quality on a first listen to a HD audio track, but if you listen to the equivalent DTS 5.1 track after listening to the lossless HD track, you'd be surprised at how flat lossy DTS sounds.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Shing.