X-Men: First Class

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

X-Men: First Class

Post by thelostdragon »

Watched it yesterday. Decent film. 3.5/5. Anybody else seen it? It was way better than I thought it would be.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Re: X-Men: First Class

Post by luckystars »

Best of the series?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Difficult to say. It is better than part 3 and 'Wolverine', though.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Matthew Vaughn, 2011

This was by far the best X-men film that I've seen. I had only seen the two Bryan Singer films prior and those were such colossal pieces of shit. For one First Class actually had a good script, OH MY GOD! (Could've done without the subtle as a jackhammer "You didn't ask, so I didn't tell" scene though.) The central character studies of Xavier, Magneto and Mystique really made the film for me. One genuinely felt sympathetic for Magneto by the end, even though he's more or less a fascist - what he had so hated for all his life.

Mostly a really good cast, except for January Jones as Emma Frost. The film would stop dead cold whenever see was on screen (pun not intended). Michael Fassbender's, James McAvoy's and Jennifer Lawrence's awesomeness go without having to be said, but I loved Kevin Bacon camping it up as villain Sebastian Shaw. His butchery of foreign languages reminded me of David Bowie's transforming accent as Nikola Tesla in The Prestige.

Matthew Vaughn is a director of blockbuster films who keeps impressing me. I want to track down Stardust now. Neither this nor Kick Ass come close to Layer Cake though.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 22 Jun 2011, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

* X-Men: It seriously suffered from clearly a smaller budget than Singer wanted. It's a shame the extended cut never saw the light of day. It's pretty good, nothing more.
* X-Men 2: Very good but like X-Men it feels restrained. Singer clearly takes the subject matter seriously but unlike Nolan he's not got the balls to fully let go and make something epic.
* X-Men 3: AWFUL!
X-Men: Wolverine I enjoyed. The CGI is REALLY dodgy/unfinished in places, it's more enjoyable than X-Men 1 though (if not as well made).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* X-Men: First Class: Yeah I'd say it's the best. As Eva says the script is good and it certainly feels the most epic. Fastbender (I'd never seen him before) and McAvoy were excellent (McAvoy always is).

Is there comic lore in Mystique being Professor X's friend?

It didn't gel for me. Nothing's been mentioned of it period in any of the previous films (I know it's something of a reboot but it also connects mostly with the latter films). It especially didn't gel when one minute we're expected to believe they're long term friends and the next she literally dumps him for Magneto. Who she even fancies, again nothing mentioned in previous films (maybe a little in X-Men 3).

The Wolverine cameo was ace, even if technically he should look a lot younger (but they could hardly use another actor). The scene that annoyed Eva didn't me at all. Is it comic lore Hank wasn't originally blue?

Setting the film during the Cuban missile crisis was a genius idea. It worked so bloody well. Overall a very good film and one I'd recommend. I hope we see a First Class Part 2.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Bullshit. X Men 2 pisses all over them all.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

bradavon wrote:* X-Men: [...] It's a shame the extended cut never saw the light of day. It's pretty good, nothing more.
I have a DVD of it called 'X-Men 1.5'. Isn't that the extended cut?
The Wolverine cameo was ace, even if technically he should look a lot younger (but they could hardly use another actor).
Should he? Wolverine was born around 1880. 'First Class' takes place in 1962 which makes Wolverine around 82 years old when he appears in that film. Well, on paper that is. His mutant ability of healing prevents him of aging beyond his prime.

The one thing that I thought was kinda unbelievable was that Angel turned evil to a degree she'd go as far as killing her old friends.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

There is no extended cut of X Men, they never filmed the new scenes they were supposed to when they made X Men 2, it was a joke to even release the 1.5 with crap unfinished deleted footage! and none of the stuff they said they were redoing.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Bullshit. X Men 2 pisses all over them all.
Since when did you have taste in movies anyway? :D.
thelostdragon wrote:I have a DVD of it called 'X-Men 1.5'. Isn't that the extended cut?
That was the original intention, hence the name but Superman got in the way for Singer (I think it was Superman) and he never managed to create an extended cut. It's the same cut on both DVD releases.
thelostdragon wrote:Should he? Wolverine was born around 1880. 'First Class' takes place in 1962 which makes Wolverine around 82 years old when he appears in that film. Well, on paper that is. His mutant ability of healing prevents him of aging beyond his prime.
Good point. I'd forgotten how old Wolverine is. It's kinda dumb. "His prime", how does genetics now when that is exactly?. You may want to put that in spoilers btw. I had no idea there was a cameo
thelostdragon wrote:The one thing that I thought was kinda unbelievable was that Angel turned evil to a degree she'd go as far as killing her old friends.
Agreed. That was dumb too. It works in comics (just about) but we're supposed to take these films seriously. Sure it's all fantasy at the end of the day but people don't just change that quickly.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

How could I forget Kevin Bacon. He was and always is excellent. I saw Woodsman recently. He was so good in it.

There's already a thread btw :) - https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 9&p=151278
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:That was the original intention, hence the name but Superman got in the way for Singer (I think it was Superman) and he never managed to create an extended cut. It's the same cut on both DVD releases.
I just said what happened up above :thumbs: they were supposed to film stuff while making X2, Superman came a long time after the extended dvd bullshit and has nothing to do with it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. I read they used the 1.5 moniker for so long it stuck. They should've change the name because 1.5 clearly hinted at more than we got.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup it was basically a special edition dvd re-release in the end with extras, not that wonderful sounding extended cut with new scenes linking the two films together (I remember being quite excited as it sounded like they were doing some special new stuff at a cost as well). I think they even discus it on the 1.5 editions disc and talk about it on the commentary, which is a bit of a pain :lol: rub it in!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote: Fastbender (I'd never seen him before) and McAvoy were excellent (McAvoy always is).
Fassbender was the British spy who spoke German in the Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards.

Yes, McAvoy was very good, I'll edit my review on FB to mention him. He was 2nd only Forester Wittaker in Last King of Scotland and made those awful films Atonement (well him and the gifted little Irish girl, who's name who's name I can't spell) and Starter for 10 watchable.
Is there comic lore in Mystique being Professor X's friend?
Nah, they weren't involved in each other's pasts at all. That's a totally new in this film.
It didn't gel for me. Nothing's been mentioned of it period in any of the previous films (I know it's something of a reboot but it also connects mostly with the latter films).
I'd say that we can pretty much consider this a reboot, despite the Jackman and Rebecca Romajin cameos, given the MASSIVE continuity clashes with X-Men Origins: Wolverine and this film (Refer to Emma Frost).
It especially didn't gel when one minute we're expected to believe they're long term friends and the next she literally dumps him for Magneto. Who she even fancies
It's pretty clear from their interactions as adults near the start of the film that Xavier and Mystique's relationship was already strained. She's not only an angsty teenager; but struggling with her true physical appearance and her identity as a mutant; and Charles not being able to relate, since he was physically normal on the outside - thus not having to feel the stress of having to put physical effort into a maintaining masquerade.

Also Remember the character arcs don't happen over a single afternoon or whatever, there's significant time skipped through montages. Through Magneto's mentoring at the Mansion she learned to be proud of who she was.

Is it comic lore Hank wasn't originally blue?
He was part of the original X-Men team, alongside Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman and Angel. He was originally physically ape-like, but like in the film he invented a serum to try to remove his physical body mutations, but it back fired and he grew the blur fur.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 23 Jun 2011, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:I'd say that we can pretty much consider this reboot, despite the Jackman and Rebecca Romajin cameos, given the MASSIVE continuity clashes with X-Men Origins: Wolverine and this film (Refer to Emma Frost).
I really meant the first three films but true. Kind of like how Superman Returns forgets Superman 3 and 4. What continuity clashes? I seem to recall her character small in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Also Remember the character arcs don't happen over a single afternoon or whatever, there's significant time skipped through montages. Through Magneto's mentoring at the Mansion she learned to be proud of who she was.
True but we're talking no more than months.
Even taking that into account it still feels ridiculous she'd just dump him, even more when he's literally just been paralysed.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote: What continuity clashes? I seem to recall her character small in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
FC is set in 1962 and features Emma Frost. The latter parts of Wolverine are set in either the early 1980s or late '90s/early '00s (different sources that I've read conflict) and also feature a very different Emma Frost - but it's still the same character and makes no sense, so I'd consider the film a reboot. The one in FC is pretty much straight from the comics, aside from her personality and nationality (she's English and very much like an evil Bond girl).

Also I recall that adult Hank McCoy was briefly shown on TV in X-Men 2 and he had his human physical appearance, not the beasty one with blue fur.
Even taking that into account it still feels ridiculous she'd just dump him, even more when he's literally just been paralysed.
Good point, I can't really argue with it. Although she did rush to Xavier's side, he did tell her to leave him be and follow her heart. In her shoes even if her injured "brother" absolved her of responsibility, most people wouldn't abandon family in a situation like that. They could've waited until the FC2 to make her join Magneto.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Assuming they were so sure there would be a FC2. Thanks.