Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn) (2011)

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn) (2011)

Post by HungFist »

Looks terrific (scene):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-1PtveVGw

"DRIVE is the story of a Hollywood stunt driver by day, a loner by nature who moonlights as a top-notch getaway driver-for-hire in the criminal underworld. He finds himself a target for some of LA's most dangerous men after agreeing to aid the husband of his beautiful neighbor, Irene. When the job goes dangerously awry, the only way he can keep Irene and her son alive is to do what he does best-Drive."

DIR: Nicolas Winding Refn
CAST: Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, Óscar Isaac, Christina Hendricks, Bryan Cranston, Albert Brooks

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn) (2011)

Post by HungFist »

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Just saw a Finnish film critic referring Drive as the best American cime film since Heat (1995)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well thats bad news as Heat is about as average a film as they come.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

romerojpg wrote:Well thats bad news as Heat is about as average a film as they come.
Yeah, I didn't care much about Heat either. I'm guessing it's appreciation comes from people who usually only see Hollywood blockbusters like Die Hard and such, and were surprised by a more toned down, realistic and mature approach.

It left me pretty cold.

I'm interested in Drive though.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yup I tried to watch Heat the other night when it was on TV but gave up after an hour, Michael Mann films leave me cold too.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

gasteropod wrote:Yup I tried to watch Heat the other night when it was on TV but gave up after an hour, Michael Mann films leave me cold too.
Same here, although I did think The Insider was pretty good and interesting.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

'Heat' is a good film, but it, like most other Mann films I've seen, did leave me cold. I admire them more than I enjoy them.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

This is probably going to be the best film of the year.

Got my ticket to the festival advance screening next week. 687 seats in the theater, all sold out in 20 minutes.

New French trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ehK7BG7KM

The IMDb rating is currently 8.9/10, btw.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

as I said, probably the best film of the year.
HungFist wrote:Drive (USA, 2011) – 4.5/5
Walter Hill’s The Driver. William Friedkin’s To Live and Die in L.A. Jean Pierre Melville’s Le Cercle Rouge. The kinds of movies they don’t make anymore. Except Nicolas Winding Refn does. The Danish director appears to be an exception to the rule that celebrated European filmmakers always fail with their Hollywood debuts. Drive is the best American crime film in ages. The relatively simple but often stunningly intensive (the opening is amazing) neo noir strongly resembles 1970’s and 1980’s crime cinema but is no rip off – it’s the real deal. No ADHD editing, no trendy CGI action, just a simple mafia story of a Hollywood stunt driver who does driving gigs for criminals at night – and gets involved with the wrong people. Violence is very sparse, but also very strong when it hits. A couple of overly artistic music choices on the otherwise excellent soundtrack are the only flaw.

Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

You'd think UK broadcasters would have learnt by now that they should never let a Scandinavian on Breakfast TV :cool:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

He knew exactly what he was doing. Pretty sad he felt the need to drum up publicity on the cheap.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Shingster wrote:You'd think UK broadcasters would have learnt by now that they should never let a Scandinavian on Breakfast TV :cool:
How could we know you can't curse on daytime UK TV? :lol:

(read: how could we refuse the temptation to piss you guys off by cursing on daytime TV :lol: )

Besides, why are they having a "family breakfast chat" on an 18 rated movie anyways?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:How could we know you can't curse on daytime UK TV? :lol:
You could see he knew. 'Fucking' (in a sexual context no less) is not a word used in normal conversation even by Johnny Foreigner.
(read: how could we refuse the temptation to piss you guys off by cursing on daytime TV :lol: )
Exactly. It was a publicity stunt.
Besides, why are they having a "family breakfast chat" on an 18 rated movie anyways?
That's an excellent question. The UK news services spend far too much time promoting movies and music (much or most of it unsuitable for pre-watershed time slots).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I agree with Hung. I'm not bothered he said "fucking" (its just a word, and it was a mistake!), why is such a movie being discussed though? BBC Breakfast is basically a magazine show with bits of news in the middle these days.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ignorance of live TV,Any TV show stupid enought to do Live shows DESERVES SWEARING AND VIOLENCE ON SCREEN :roll:
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Markgway wrote:You could see he knew. 'Fucking' (in a sexual context no less) is not a word used in normal conversation even by Johnny Foreigner.
Jesus christ*, aside from internet posting you really do only converse with your parents don't you Mark! :o

*I'd say "Fucking hell!" but we all know actual people rarely use the term. :icon_suspect:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Shingster wrote:
Markgway wrote:You could see he knew. 'Fucking' (in a sexual context no less) is not a word used in normal conversation even by Johnny Foreigner.
Jesus christ*, aside from internet posting you really do only converse with your parents don't you Mark! :o
*I'd say "Fucking hell!" but we all know actual people rarely use the term. :icon_suspect:
I meant on television. I can't remember the last time I heard someone use that word on TV in a non-fiction/interview context. Perhaps I should've made myself clearer.

I'm well aware of how profane everyday conversation and internet posting is (I'm pretty guilty of it myself or hadn't you noticed?).
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Reminds me of that famous Finnish beer commercial (on TV) from the 90's... It said "Brewed with Perkele" (loosely translated: "Brewed with Motherfucker!")

Perkele is the most popular curse word in Finnish.

Here's a recent F1 commercial with perkele in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqOkvMD4VzM

:lol:
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Markgway wrote:I meant on television. I can't remember the last time I heard someone use that word on TV in a non-fiction/interview context. Perhaps I should've made myself clearer.
Pre-watershed it's fairly rare (unless someone's stupid enough to put Shaun Ryder on live TV :D) but post watershed the f-bomb is dropped fairly often (although by saying non-fiction/interview you're basically excluding about 80% of post-watreshed content), the only shows post-watershed that remain doggedly non-sweary are news shows, repeats of daytime shows, those crappy late-night phonecall quiz shows (so long as the callers behave themselves), and "through-the-night" content like that ITV nightscreen bollocks.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Admittedly I don't watch much fictional TV these days - mostly I see news programmes and topical debates, etc. If I do watch a fiction show it's probably from a US network. Regardless, the director of Drive is no stranger to the UK and surely knew that 'fucking' during breakfast was a bit of a no-no. Most of the time they're warned before they go on just on the off-chance they don't already know.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

ok, seen it three times in cinema now. Pretty safe to say it's not just the best film of the year, it's the best film in years...

Wrote a new mini-review after the third viewing:

Drive (USA, 2011) – 5/5
The best crime film in decades, period! Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn’s Hollywood debut is a violent L.A. fairytale that is equally romantic as it is brutal. Ryan Gosling, playing his role with Melvillean cool, stars as a nameless driver. He's a silent observer who daydreams of being a real hero - but the reality doesn’t give in. This defines the film’s tone: from superbly stylized 1980’s opening credits to L.A aesthetics reminiscent Michael Mann the film is a mixture of pop, long silences, and hard hitting brutality. Amazingly, and thanks to Refn’s extremely strong character direction, the film stands on its own feet and comes out near flawless despite a ton of obvious influences (The Driver, To Live and Die in L.A, and so on). It’s only around the 70 minute mark where the film hampers a little bit in unfolding the storyline – these scenes are no match for the build-up, which is what Refn’s film is all about. Terrific soundtrack and stunning use of widescreen cinematography support the mood pic.

Image Image

This is one of those films that only get better on repeated viewings. Most movies only hold up for one viewing, but with Drive it's the opposite: it's only on repeated viewings that you truly notice things such as:

- The 2.35:1 cinematography is some of the best I have ever seen. On third viewing I knew the story and dialogue inside out, but my jaw was dropping throughout the film because of the cinematography and framing. Films like this are why cinemas were invented.

- How damn good Gosling's character is. And the performance. This really holds closer inspection. Mulligan and Books are damn good, too.

...................................................................................................................................................

My apologies, but I can't help but to post a few more posters. Gotta buy the first one some day. This is the most excited I've been about any movie since 2008's Love Exposure...

- http://www.impawards.com/2011/drive.html

Some soundtrack perfection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_3Dpw-BRY
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup it was a top film, lovely to sit back and just take in.

Cannot wait to get hold of the Blu Ray and experience it again. Sadly the sound went off at the Lift Scene in our showing :( gutted! really made me as angry as Driver got in the film :banghead: all films should be forced to be shown in gorgeous digital, stuff prints
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Woman Sues Drive for Being Too Good, Not Enough Like The Fast and the Furious
- http://www.beyondhollywood.com/woman-su ... d-furious/