Best affordable 'in ear' headphones

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Best affordable 'in ear' headphones

Post by luckystars »

Need a new pair...primary use will be my iPhone and in the laptop.

Price up to £30
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Best affordable 'in ear' headphones

Post by bradavon »

I don't know of specific models but I always rate Sennheiser. I hear Beats Audio are decent too.

I too prefer in-ear. I know cans offer better audio but they're just too impracticable. The quality from stock to decent headphones is massive. For such a big music company, Apple ship rubbish headphones.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I always use Sennheisers.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

gasteropod wrote:I always use Sennheisers.
Had a pair and while they sounded nice, I only got a few months use out of then before one side failed.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Mine has lasted years. I re-bought the same model because the previous pair the volume fell to bits but those lasted years too.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yeah I've had no problems either, I re-buy them once they naturally start wearing out after years of use (when the bass starts making something inside them make a sound, hard to explain). Some Sony ones I had however, stopped working after a few months.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Good point.

Think I had the 300cxii or something before, may get the next model up then
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Try getting them at Argos, with 3 years insurance. That way you can take them back many, many times and you know you are covered for 3 years no matter what you do to them ;)
I just got some superb new Philips SH39000 ones, much better than my Sennheisers ever were.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

romerojpg wrote:Try getting them at Argos, with 3 years insurance. That way you can take them back many, many times and you know you are covered for 3 years no matter what you do to them ;)
I just got some superb new Philips SH39000 ones, much better than my Sennheisers ever were.
Very good idea!

What model is that? Can't find them online...got a link?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

My bad SHE9000
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... ms=SHE9000

Insurance while not pennies (£8.99, it goes down for cheaper models) makes them covered perfectly. I took my last pair back about 6+ times in 3 years lol so at least you know you have no other costs for 3 years easy.
Look for some info on the various headphones they have and think hey for 3 years its worth it :D they also stock plenty of Sennheisers if you chose them as well..
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

romerojpg wrote:My bad SHE9000
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... ms=SHE9000

Insurance while not pennies (£8.99, it goes down for cheaper models) makes them covered perfectly. I took my last pair back about 6+ times in 3 years lol so at least you know you have no other costs for 3 years easy.
Look for some info on the various headphones they have and think hey for 3 years its worth it :D they also stock plenty of Sennheisers if you chose them as well..
LOOL I have that same number/letter dyslexia where I sometimes type 3's instead of E's :lol:

Argos site says "Once a replacement has been given under your plan, your plan will end." :?:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

luckystars wrote: Argos site says "Once a replacement has been given under your plan, your plan will end." :?:
Holy crap lol I hope it has not changed! that would suck. I only got my new ones weeks ago, that would suck if I cannot take them back more than once ever again!

I may have to go in store and see what is what, but it would be a real shame if I cannot just take them back whenever they break like the good old days. I have been insuring headphones for 6 years now.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

I may just get them at John Lewis...I guess they'll break in the first year anyway!

Are they really that good then? Which Sennheisers did you have mate?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I think the Philips ones are cracking so far (give them a google, that should show up plenty of good word as well), they really cut out plenty of noise and seem clear as hell sound wise, perfect fit for me as well (which is always a big plus!) - I even have some £120 quid Bose ones which I would say these Philips ones beat easily (mind you they are a few years old now, tech must move on a lot).

I couldn't tell you exact model on the Sennheisers now as I chucked away the box literally a few weeks ago. I usually keep tatty old boxes in the loft for many years haha but I have always seemed to go between Philips and Sennheisers the last 7 or 8 years now. I seem to break headphones very regularly, I treat them so well! they just always seem to break!

I cannot even think of using my 10 pairs of awful free with iPod headphones most the population seems to use :o when I break my usual headphones I almost cry as it can take a few days to get replacements and I have to use them free backups urrghhh haha
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Just to update, I got the Philips headphones for Christmas and they're wayy better sounding than the Sennheisers I had before.

Great build (it seems so far) and they are really well paired with my iPhone. On the macbook they didn't sound as great til I upped the preamp on iTunes a touch.

Excellent. Thanks Mr JPG! :thumbs:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Any idea how much they're worth? Those Beats Audio over the ear cans were going for something like £250 in HMV before Xmas :o. Sure get a decent pair but 250 nicker!
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Think they're about £25 and well worth the money IMO