It's logical captain.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: LOTR: EE's in HD in 2011

Post by saltysam »

Details now official

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6045

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/c ... -june.html

no mention of digital copies...2 BD's & 3 dvds per film....overkill.
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Strange the extras couldnt be put on BD's - so say 2 BDs for the extras.
I dont mind the film on 2 BDs if it means the best quality possible. I wonder if the other films are getting a remaster or whether its just Fellowship.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I really hope a box set comes with the DVDs dropped because I definitely want this but I just know a 15 disc set will be A: Takes up ridiculous amounts of space and B: Cost the (middle) earth.

It's clear they've just taken all the previous extras and bundled them here. Discs 3-4 of each film are from the "original 4 disc DVD box sets" and disc 5 from each film contains the documentaries made for the "subsequent 2 disc version of each extended cut". They could've at least put them on some BDs and made them HD.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Cost the (middle) earth.
Wheyyyy :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

First uk pre-order i've noticed is up...£50

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/lord-of-th ... ffil=BUYAT
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's a surprisingly good price but still way too much for me.
gasteropod wrote:Wheyyyy :D
I couldn't resist :D.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I may get them when they become cheaper - LOTR in proper HD could be awesome with good transfers, though I do have the R1 EE's on DVD, the BD has other documentaries I haven't seen.
Another point is I may go for the US BD, because back when the DVDs came out, the R1 EE packaging was far superior (nicer looking, sturdier and stronger) and looked more like an old book than the cheap crap the UK got for it's packaging.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

I'm going to wait until each film is released on one BD... Surely they should be able to fit it on one disc?

Not sure if it is going to happen, so may alternatively just wait until the three films come down to under the £20 mark.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Another point is I may go for the US BD, because back when the DVDs came out, the R1 EE packaging was far superior (nicer looking, sturdier and stronger) and looked more like an old book than the cheap crap the UK got for it's packaging.
Weren't they quite a lot more expensive though? The USD to GBP conversion still sucks = UK BDs for me.
degeneration wrote:I'm going to wait until each film is released on one BD... Surely they should be able to fit it on one disc?
I bet they could. MPEG4 is much better to MPEG2 compression. Clearly it's a marketing trick. It doesn't bother me though. Just ditch those damn extras discs!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Can't remember how much I paid for them - back then US$ to £ was a lot better than it is now.
oldeschool17
Pedicab Driver

Post by oldeschool17 »

It's going for $70 on Amazon right now. Apparently Jackson & Co intentionally boosted up the green color palate in Fellowship of the Ring(I cant remember reading if he did that to the other films).

I was all about to get this before I read of the 15 disc inclusion. That is a beyond overkill and especially dissapointing as I allready have the Extended Version DVD box set(which I feel the packaging looks alot better). At most, this should be a 9 or 10 disc edition. Makes sense for them to do this on a cost efficient basis but this kinda screws the consumer. If they would just include the standalone extended blu ray versions sans the DVDs, then I would probably get this.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Me too. I completely agree. It means two things:

1. A really over inflated price
2. Lots of wasted shelf space.

I literally only care about the extended movies. This many discs will put people off. Sure people like to have multiple discs but NOT THIS MUCH!
oldeschool17 wrote:If they would just include the standalone extended blu ray versions sans the DVDs, then I would probably get this.
I would, without a doubt. This many discs I'm not interested, unless it were cheap (no more than £25 tops).
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's a bit of an odd review but it still looks good:

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/blu-r ... n-09-07-11

As we're stuck with 15 fucking discs. I'll wait for it to be £22 or under, which will take forever.
oldeschool17
Pedicab Driver

Post by oldeschool17 »

It went on sale for $50 last week(Amazon). Snagged a copy as I highly doubt they will release just the single versions of the EE cuts. Im real curious to see how bad this over saturation of the green palate is for Fellowship of the Ring.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

bradavon wrote:It's a bit of an odd review but it still looks good:

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/blu-r ... n-09-07-11

As we're stuck with 15 fucking discs. I'll wait for it to be £22 or under, which will take forever.
Your link doesn't work

15 discs seems overkill IMO. I'm happy with DVD EE's for now.
I don't care for chuffing digital copies :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

oldeschool17 wrote:Snagged a copy as I highly doubt they will release just the single versions of the EE cuts.
Me too :angry:. These sorts of films tend to get lumped into big box sets. I'd be happy for a box set without all that bloat.

How big physically is the box set?

Given how popular the EE DVDs were, it's surprising they've not released a more reasonably priced box set too. You'd think this EE box set would fly off the shelves, price must be putting people off.

I'll probably pick it up at some point (despite it's flaws, it is an essential HD purchase) but it needs to come down further first. It was £30 over here brielfy (buying cheap from America, would've likely incurred a heft customs charge) but that's more than I want to spend considering it's a 6 not 15 disc set to me. Nine of the discs I'll never watch and just waste space. They should've at least put them on BDs!
grim_tales wrote:Your link doesn't work
It did in JULY ;). They've redesigned the site and have been swallowed up inside parent company TechRadar.com.
oldeschool17
Pedicab Driver

Post by oldeschool17 »

bradavon wrote:
oldeschool17 wrote:Snagged a copy as I highly doubt they will release just the single versions of the EE cuts.
Me too :angry:. These sorts of films tend to get lumped into big box sets. I'd be happy for a box set without all that bloat.

How big physically is the box set?

Given how popular the EE DVDs were, it's surprising they've not released a more reasonably priced box set too. You'd think this EE box set would fly off the shelves, price must be putting people off.

I'll probably pick it up at some point (despite it's flaws, it is an essential HD purchase) but it needs to come down further first. It was £30 over here brielfy (buying cheap from America, would've likely incurred a heft customs charge) but that's more than I want to spend considering it's a 6 not 15 disc set to me. Nine of the discs I'll never watch and just waste space. They should've at least put them on BDs!
It's not as big as the EE DVD box set, yet it still has some weight to it. It opens/closes via magnetic closure(internal). Each movie is housed in a black Blu ray case that holds 4 discs.
I still think the EE DVD Set looks a lot better sitting on the dvd shelf than the blu ray version. Very annoying to have to change discs mid movie. Wasn't high capacity part of the allure to Blu Rays? I have a hard time believing that New Line COULDN'T fit one full EE movie per disc, but whatever. Thanks New Line. I did a quick scan through the chapters on Fellowship and I can attest to most of those concerns. There's definitely some obvious color boosting(noticed more blues in scenes that should be more white, some of the skin tones having more of a yellow tinge, and the greens really popping out). It's not hindering my enjoyment of an otherwise good movie though. So in summary, for those that are on the fence, get it while its on sale or just save a few quid by rewatching the old DVD set instead.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

If you guys own the 4 disc extended editions then there's 12 discs you've got anyway.Line the three up together and it's as wide as the new EE BD anyway.You all think to much,if you like the films buy the thing when it pops up at a reasonable price :cool:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Okay, you've got a good point :D. I was thinking that actually. I paid £17.99 each for those, which is £53.97. It was over 3 years though. You yourself did say too it was a ridiculous amount of discs ;).
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:. You yourself did say too it was a ridiculous amount of discs ;).
i'm not disputing that,i have no interest in extras but it certainly never stopped me buying it when it popped up at a reasonable price.As i said,do the math,it's a no-brainer ;)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

£30 from Tesco?
oldeschool17
Pedicab Driver

Post by oldeschool17 »

bradavon wrote:£30 from Tesco?
I say go for it. That's just a few quid cheaper than what I paid for it when you factor in the conversion rate in here in the States.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Oh it's not that now. I missed that deal. It's £40 now.