The Raid

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

The Raid

Post by hanshotfirst1138 »

I can't imagine there isn't a thread about this already, but I used the search function and wasn't able to find it. This noteworthy Indonesian martial arts film from Welsh director Gareth Evans is apparently THE movie to see for action fans. However, word is that the Stateside release will be compromised with possible edits and more importantly a newly-scored soundtrack. As ever, purist that I am, I'd prefer to see the film as it was originally intended. However, I don't have much information. Is there an overseas DVD version that preserves the original cut? Can I find it on eBay? I have a region-free player so that's not an issue.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Raid

Post by gasteropod »

hanshotfirst1138 wrote:Indonesian martial arts film from Welsh director
WTF :lol:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

The director promised on the forum of Kung Fu Cinema that we would get the uncut version and the original soundtrack when it gets released on DVD/BR in the west.
Honestly speaking no bias aside, the Shinoda/Trapanese score is seriously great. It's different in style from the original (which I also love) but both have major strengths and from the get go, Mike was very open and honest about his approach to the score and knowing his background and references for the score I'm way happy with how it's turned out. Both he and Joe understood exactly when the music should be big and drive the scene forward and when to sit in the background and build suspense and tension - i think you guys will love it and yes just for you Yi-Long you will be able to get both versions on the home video release uncut, frame for frame as I intended!
http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/show ... 81&page=19

Now, ofcourse we'll have to wait and see how that actually pans out, but I just hope this will be an asian classic that won't be butchered up for western audiences.

Obviously, I'm disappointed with the altered soundtrack so I won't be watching it in the cinema. I'm not going to support something that I don't agree with.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

looks like another crappy acting, crazy fighting movie like we have seen many from Thailand already...
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Ricochan38 wrote:looks like another crappy acting, crazy fighting movie like we have seen many from Thailand already...
All the early reports have been EXTREMELY positive, Rico, from everyone who has seen it. The director's first movie, Merentau, was also received very positive.

Which is why I'm saddened that it seems they're still tweaking it and releasing it with an alternate soundtrack and all that bullshit.

This is probably my most anticipated release of the year, along with The Grandmasters, but we'll have to wait and see HOW it gets released.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Gareth Evans isnt the same "GHevans" who posted on B&B many years ago is he? Cool :D
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

Post by hanshotfirst1138 »

I'm sort of torn. On one hand, I really want to support anything that hits Stateside theaters wih English subtitles (a massive rarity in the US), and the director has sanctioned the changes. On the other hand, even with the sanctioning of the changes by the director, I'm not sure this is the kind of thing I want to support in much of any capacity, as Asian cinema fans have been battling against it for decades now, with decreasing success. Whether or not the US DVD will really have both tracks remains to be seen, but I suppose it's a question of where your principles stand on the issues. I'd like to at least see the original first even if I do pay to see the US cut. Evidently, it hasn't had a DVD release ANYWHERE as yet, otherwise I'd just go to eBay and pick that up. Damn!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I'm the same. I won't support it when it's cut or whatever.

I'm really affraid that it's currenty being toned down and butchered and all that, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Stunned there hasn't been more interest in this, especially considering the director used to be one of our own! Written my review here. I don't think anyone should feel short changed by the Shinoda score tbh, seemed good enough to me (as a linkin park hater).
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

This is even playing in cinemas in Finland. Too bad I'm 8000 km away from that damn land Image

Oh well, I'm sure it will hit the Japanese theaters, too... by 2014 Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Shingster wrote:Stunned there hasn't been more interest in this, especially considering the director used to be one of our own! Written my review here. I don't think anyone should feel short changed by the Shinoda score tbh, seemed good enough to me (as a linkin park hater).
I've been extremely interested in this for a while now, but the discussion about it has been mainly on the KFC forums....

Seems like a brilliant brilliant movie.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:Stunned there hasn't been more interest in this, especially considering the director used to be one of our own! Written my review here.
Cool, thanks for your thoughts. So the action is good but what about the story? Is it up there with the best of martial arts film stories or are we talking Thai martial arts film stories here?

I vaguely remember GHevans. It's playing from Friday in my local multiplex. It's so rare I get to see martial arts in the cinema, changes or no changes I think I'll have to check this out in my local cinema.

EDIT: The Red Band 720p trailer: http://media.kino-govno.com/movies/r/ra ... d_1280.mp4. Bloody hell that looks visceral. It reminds me of Hard Boiled with martial arts too. Ironically this appeared in my Inbox a few hours ago, Kermode thinks it's "fantastic" too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh-Wh7F9uQ8

p.s - SPL was pretty good, nothing special. There wasn't enough action at all (which was good) and the story was lacklustre too.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'll try to see it at the weekend.

My local arthouse is screening it so I don't have to go a multiplex. :)
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:Cool, thanks for your thoughts. So the action is good but what about the story? Is it up there with the best of martial arts film stories or are we talking Thai martial arts film stories here?
I did mention this in my review, the script isn't very deep but it is pretty tight with a basic synopsis delivering a solid thriller. It's FAR better made than any of those crappy Pinkaew films imo. Oh and I wasn't blown away by SPL and Flash Point either, but the action in those films is very good and reminiscent of the "golden years" of HK martial arts flicks.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Flash Point (the Donnie Yen one) was a good movie imo, but I havent seen SPL yet. :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I preferred Flashpoint to SPL but wasn't blown away by either.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I think I actually saw a TV spot for The Raid, wish it was showing at my cinema :(

http://movies.uk.msn.com/reviews/the-raid-movie-review
It does sound good :clap:
Keung
King of Beggars

Post by Keung »

I'll catch it on Sunday. :rock:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Astonishingly, it is showing at the nearest cinema to me (Hatfield) I'll have to see if I can see it... :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Bit under the weather today... might have to leave it until early next week.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Some of the Thai films like Ong Bak, Born to Fight, Bang-Rajan etc have flimsy plots but amazing action so it'll be interesting to see how this compares.
Actually Bang Rajan was quite moving in parts IIRC :(
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:It's FAR better made than any of those crappy Pinkaew films imo.
Good because my god they're dreadful. That's the primary reason I'm reluctant to not fork out money to see Chocolate. None of us expect the best story ever from action films but come on it needs something and Ong-bak/TYG don't even have that. It's less than paper thin. And for me the fact the stores are so utterly dumb, means I cannot fully enjoy the action.

I like the fact it looks like an homage to old school action films too, which for the most part are still the best we've ever got, Asian and American included. It's also getting a proper cinema release for once.
Shingster wrote:Oh and I wasn't blown away by SPL and Flash Point either, but the action in those films is very good and reminiscent of the "golden years" of HK martial arts flicks.
The action was good but I was surprised how little action SPL had. The story started out well but got rather silly by the end too. I can't be bothered with Flash Point. I ended up giving the DVD away, I couldn't shift it at all.

Gareth Evans on Kermode's Five Live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxqfxjdb. He comes across as a nice bloke, it's well worth a watch. Even detailing a US remake is already on the cards :angry: :?
Xenon
Pedicab Driver

Post by Xenon »

I'm starting to see why Brad is the assclown of this forum.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

OK so the story in Ong Bak isnt the best but the action (havent seen Warrior King yet) is f*cking amazing, which more than makes up for it, imo :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:f*cking amazing
:o :D