Criterion Blu-ray Plans Revealed

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Criterion Blu-ray Plans Revealed

Post by Markgway »

Criterion don't half release a lot of modern shit.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

gasteropod wrote:I recall the DVD having poor black levels so it'll be nice to see it properly.
Cant wait to see what they do, probably some kind of remaster supervised by Fincher at least, or the cinematographer or something.
I'll wait til the price is reasonable.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:Cant wait to see what they do, probably some kind of remaster supervised by Fincher at least, or the cinematographer or something.
Yup:

New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director David Fincher and director of photography Harris Savides, with original theatrical 5.1 surround theatrical soundtrack, in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition

Alternate 5.1 surround mix optimized for home theater viewing, supervised by sound designer Ren Klyce and Fincher, in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition

Audio commentary by Fincher, Savides, actor Michael Douglas, screenwriters John Brancato and Michael Ferris, digital animation supervisor Richard “Dr.” Baily, production designer Jeffrey Beecroft, visual effects supervisor Kevin Haug, and visual effects producer Robyn D’Arcy

An hour’s worth of exclusive behind-the-scenes footage and film-to-storyboard comparisons for four of the film’s major set pieces, with commentary

Alternate ending

Trailer and teaser trailer, with commentary

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks Gas - was just going to post those :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Nice cover but strange choice, it's not exactly considered a classic by most, more like a good film but not much more.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:[

I'll wait til the price is reasonable.
Criterion & "price is reasonable" in the same sentence :lol:
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Nice cover but strange choice, it's not exactly considered a classic by most, more like a good film but not much more.
Partly due to Criterion's relationship with David Fincher (they only released Benjamin Button as kind of a favour to him, not strictly a real Criterion), and partly due to the constant requests by people for them to release it - seriously, every time Criterion makes an announcement on Facebook you see a load of people asking for The Game for some reason.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

gasteropod wrote:
bradavon wrote:Nice cover but strange choice, it's not exactly considered a classic by most, more like a good film but not much more.
Partly due to Criterion's relationship with David Fincher (they only released Benjamin Button as kind of a favour to him, not strictly a real Criterion)
what relationship is that?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

HungFist wrote:what relationship is that?
Fuck-buddies.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

:lol:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

gasteropod wrote:I recall the DVD having poor black levels so it'll be nice to see it properly.
My mistake, just watched my DVD (special edition) and it's fine, maybe I was thinking of Panic Room. After this viewing I still feel underwhelmed by The Game, I'd give it 2.5/5.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:Partly due to Criterion's relationship with David Fincher (they only released Benjamin Button as kind of a favour to him, not strictly a real Criterion), and partly due to the constant requests by people for them to release it - seriously, every time Criterion makes an announcement on Facebook you see a load of people asking for The Game for some reason.
I didn't know that thanks. I wonder if Panic Room is to come. I rather like that one.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

FUCK YES!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

30th Oct:

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

New high-definition digital restoration, approved by director Roman Polanski, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
New interviews with Polanski, actor Mia Farrow, and producer Robert Evans
Komeda, Komeda, a feature-length documentary on the life and work of jazz musician and composer Krzysztof Komeda, who wrote the score for Rosemary’s Baby
1997 radio interview with author Ira Levin from Leonard Lopate’s WNYC program New York and Company on the 1967 novel, the sequel, and the film
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Ed Park and Levin’s afterword for the 2003 New American Library edition of his novel, in which he discusses its and the film’s origins

http://www.criterion.com/films/27927-rosemary-s-baby

2nd Oct:

High-definition digital restoration, approved by cinematographer Mark Lee Ping-bin, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
@ “In the Mood for Love,” director Wong Kar-wai’s documentary on the making of the film
Deleted scenes with director’s commentary
Hua yang de nian hua (2000), a short film by Wong
Archival interview with Wong and a “cinema lesson” given by the director at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival
Toronto International Film Festival press conference from 2000, with stars Maggie Cheung Man-yuk and Tony Leung Chiu-wai
Trailers and TV spots
The music of In the Mood for Love, presented in an interactive essay, on the DVD edition
Essay by film scholar Gina Marchetti illuminating the film’s unique setting on the DVD edition
Photo gallery on the DVD edition
Biographies of key cast and crew on the DVD edition
Two new interviews with critic Tony Rayns, one about the film and the other about the soundtrack, on the Blu-ray edition
Plus: A booklet featuring the Liu Yi-chang story that provided thematic inspiration for the film, an essay by film critic Li Cheuk-to, and a director’s statement (DVD edition); a booklet featuring an essay by novelist and film critic Steve Erickson and the Liu Yi-chang story that provided thematic inspiration for the film (Blu-ray edition)

http://www.criterion.com/films/198-in-the-mood-for-love
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:clap: :clap:
Will definitely be getting ITMFL - cant wait :D
Is that saying the DVD has exclusive extras compared to the BD though? :?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote::clap: :clap:
Will definitely be getting ITMFL - cant wait :D
Is that saying the DVD has exclusive extras compared to the BD though? :?
Hmm I see what you mean, they seem to be interactive essays and biographies that you used to get on DVDs and they don't seem to bother with on Blu.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

ITMFL for me too. My first Criterion Blu-ray! I'd even pay Criterion prices for this one.
gasteropod wrote:Hmm I see what you mean, they seem to be interactive essays and biographies that you used to get on DVDs and they don't seem to bother with on Blu.
That's my guess too. The DVD is very old and like you say, those often get lost when creating the BD. Not that I care.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I was expecting Rosemary's Baby to be 1.66:1, but if Polanski wants 1.85:1 then that's fine by me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Good point. All the Paramount DVDs have been 1.85:1.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Finally:

04/12/12

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL FEATURES:

Restored high-definition digital transfer of Terry Gilliam’s 142-minute director’s cut, supervised by Gilliam, with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 surround soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

Audio commentary by Terry Gilliam

What Is “Brazil”?, a thirty-minute on-set documentary by Rob Hedden

The Battle of “Brazil”: A Video History, a sixty-minute documentary by author and film writer Jack Mathews about the controversy surrounding the film’s release

The “Love Conquers All” version of Brazil, a ninety-four-minute cut of the film produced by the studio in an attempt to make it more commercial, with commentary by Brazil expert David Morgan

The Production Notebook, a collection of supplements featuring a trove of Brazil-iana from Gilliam’s personal collection: a short documentary on the screenplay, featuring interviews with screenwriters Gilliam, Charles McKeown, and Tom Stoppard; Gilliam’s storyboards for unfilmed dream sequences, animated and narrated by Morgan; visual essays on the film’s production design and special effects; a visual essay on Brazil’s costumes, narrated by costume designer James Acheson; and interviews with Gilliam and composer Michael Kamen on the score

Trailer

PLUS: An essay by Jack Matthews on the DVD edition and a booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt on the Blu-ray edition

And I've never bothered to check out Christopher Nolan's debut before so this will be my excuse to:

11/12/12

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Christopher Nolan, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

New 5.1 surround sound mix by sound editor Gary Rizzo, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition

Audio commentary by Nolan

New interview with Nolan

Chronological rendering of the story

Side-by-side comparison of three scenes in the film with the shooting script
Doodlebug (1997), a three-minute film by Nolan, starring Jeremy Theobald

Trailers

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic and programmer Scott Foundas
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Just noticed the audio commentary by Christopher Nolan, that's a first!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Is Following any good? It's only 69 minutes.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

gasteropod wrote:And I've never bothered to check out Christopher Nolan's debut before so this will be my excuse to:
But yeah it's meant to be good.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

In the Mood for Love Blu-ray is up on DVD Beaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompar ... orlove.htm
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Looks very good, why have Criterion redone the typeface on the BD?