Enter The Dragon Blu-Ray Caps

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Enter The Dragon Blu-Ray Caps

Post by gasteropod »

What's actually being compared here, is it the UK DVD and UK Blu-ray?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Enter The Dragon Blu-Ray Caps USA BD Vs 40th Anniversary

Post by saltysam »

the clue's in the thread title. it's the original blu-ray release & the new 40th Anniversary reissue.
working class blu-ray fan
Xenon
Pedicab Driver

Post by Xenon »

And the winner is... Everyone who didn't buy this shit.

P.S. Happy birthday.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Ah yeah I didn't see that, happy birthday Salty and LD!
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Happy birthday!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Happy Birthday Salty and LD! :D
Sorry for being late :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

40th Anniversary Ed.: Compression is better, jaggies gone, colours have been tweaked (buggered? Bruce looks too orange in cap #2, in fact everything seems more orange than it should be), sharpness, occasional improvement (Kelly's facial hair in cap #3, though there seems to be some added print damage?), darker and more detailed (cap #5), blurrier on cap #6 (the old version looks better, as it does on caps #7 and #8), slightly cropped on all four sides.

A very mixed bag - not, IMHO, a worthy upgrade at all, if even an upgrade? I'll stick with my original BD, which has the Warrior's Journey doc and none of the new shit, and cost me a quarter of what the 40th is being sold for. Epic fail: Warner Bros.

Thanks for the comp, Sam.... and happy birthday!!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I might upgrade once the 40th AE drops in price as my UK BD doesnt have Warriors Journey for some reason anyway.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:I might upgrade once the 40th AE drops in price as my UK BD doesnt have Warriors Journey for some reason anyway.
Only the initial US pressings had A Warrior's Journey. Warners had to drop it for international and reissue editions because of rights issues. My US BD has AWJ because I bought it in 2008.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

thanks for the birthday wishes.hoping the new transfer will look better in motion.haven't watched it yet.i'm not the best at caps so maybe they've gone awry somewhere along the line.posted them on two other forums and a screencap expert intimated i'd upped them from a bootleg :icon_suspect: thank you Shingster for sticking up for me :)
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

No probs Salty, I wouldn't be too hard on Geoff either because if he doesn't know you from Adam it is gonna be hard to imagine that Warner Bros could have somehow managed to release a 40th Anniversary transfer that's actually softer than an old crappy upscaled release! You can sort of expect this shit from an indie label like Shout! or maybe a big label famous for not giving a shit about preserving the original look like Universal, but Warners usually do a decent job.

BTW If you remember my comments about your grabs for The Brood, it's possible that your default media player or graphics card settings may be introducing a little noise reduction/contrast boosting & subsequently we may find that screenshots from the usual sources once the 40th Anniversary reviews come out might look a little bit more natural. That's not to say your shots aren't accurate enough, it's obvious this new release is soft as hell and blown out, just that it might be very slightly more filmlike than the grabs suggest.

For example this shot:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8929/enterb27.png

The smudging on Shek Kin's arm and the weird way the shadows in the creases of his suit look all clipped so the grain looks like digital noise is very reminiscent of your grabs for The Brood (which is a similarly grainy and blown out, although maybe less so than ETD).

I doubt the differences will be enough to change anyone's opinions based on your initial screenshots though, but it should be interesting to find out if subsequent grabs taken via a different method with different graphics cards do look marginally better.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

New caps have since been posted at Blu Ray.com.

They appear to show more grain than Sam's, but other problems like contrast and colour timing remain evident.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

How good is the film ever going to look though considering it was a low budget film shot in varying conditions? The 2007 BD looks fairly rubbish IMO. I personally wouldnt mind upgrading as long as I can forego all the gubbins the US set has.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Shingster wrote:N

BTW If you remember my comments about your grabs for The Brood, it's possible that your default media player or graphics card settings may be introducing a little noise reduction/contrast boosting & subsequently we may find that screenshots from the usual sources once the 40th Anniversary reviews come out might look a little bit more natural. That's not to say your shots aren't accurate enough, it's obvious this new release is soft as hell and blown out, just that it might be very slightly more filmlike than the grabs suggest.
is there a way of changing the settings on a graphics card? i'm not really a techno :oops: watched this before, it does look better in motion and at times looks very good,i think it's cropped though and some sequences look just wrong (Parsons face when bruce tricks him into getting into the boat looks like pink/red mush)
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Should be simply enough, what graphics card do you have salty? Gotta admit I'm surprised at how much better the Blu-ray.com grabs look!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:The 2007 BD looks fairly rubbish IMO.
I thought it looked OK apart from the aliasing.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Screw Blu. I'm gonna watch this in cinema tomorrow :cool:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I read this on the Blu Ray forum and didnt know it was true or not - was the Monk scene and more philosophical stuff at the beginning added for HK/Chinese audiences? Some posters claim those scenes were in HK prints in the 70's.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:I read this on the Blu Ray forum and didnt know it was true or not - was the Monk scene and more philosophical stuff at the beginning added for HK/Chinese audiences? Some posters claim those scenes were in HK prints in the 70's.
Those scenes were always in the Mandarin prints. They were added by Golden Harvest for Asian territories. Warners' 1998 hack job was an attempt to replicate this version in English. Unfortunately we're now stuck with it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Ah I see what you mean now.
I've never actually seen the theatrical cut (!) only the 1998 version.
Bruce's voice does exsist for the monk scene somewhere even if not on film (I heard it from some Asian LP), but think he must have dubbed it at the time. Would have been much better than John Little!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

EDIT: Actually, having thought about it, a lot of the film was ADR, pretty much anything filmed in Hong Kong. That would include the 'monk scene'. So ignore my previous text.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Will there be a standard version of this without all the cardboard and crap with it?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The UK version is missing the extra crap apparently, so is the German version. I'm sure there'll be a cheaper USA release somewhere down the line