What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:WTF I didnt know this, have they discovered more footage? I thought the longest version of The Wicker Man available was already on the DVD which looks like shit (understandably), I know a 'worldwide search' was being done apparently but didnt know what had turned up (it appears nothing so far), could be interesting.
I have the Zavvi Steelbook on order BTW (which interestingly is now called 'The Final Cut) :?
They've finally discovered a full print of the original director's cut after all these years, and that is what's going on the Blu-ray, hence the 'Final Cut' title. So no more iffy quality segments, and from what I gather it's going to be even longer than that assembled version.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I didnt know that, cool :D
I've been keeping tabs on Facebook and dont remember them saying that? Should I still hold onto the old DVD version?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:I didnt know that, cool :D
I've been keeping tabs on Facebook and dont remember them saying that? Should I still hold onto the old DVD version?
Can you see this video? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=602056549827678

If not, go to this page and scroll down a bit to the video: https://www.facebook.com/WickerManAppeal
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I see in the FB comments some people reckon it might not be anything new and that it's just a marketing ploy, so we'll have to see...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks Gas :) Though like you, I'm wondering what he means when Hardy says "It has never been shown in UK theatres before or been restored to Blu Ray before" etc, what he's referring to? His wording suggests he means a different print from the DVD Director's Cut one but its hard to tell.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:Thanks Gas :) Though like you, I'm wondering what he means when Hardy says "It has never been shown in UK theatres before or been restored to Blu Ray before" etc, what he's referring to? His wording suggests he means a different print from the DVD Director's Cut one but its hard to tell.
If it ends up just being the version we've already seen I shall cancel my order, I'm going to keep an eye on this.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

For years it was said that the only existing print of the director's cut was English landfill!

I'm not sure how much I actively enjoyed TWM, but I found it very interesting, very sinister.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The Thing (2011) - 1.5/5

I'd heard good things about this, but my instinct was right, just totally pointless. And silly.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

gasteropod wrote:I see in the FB comments some people reckon it might not be anything new and that it's just a marketing ploy, so we'll have to see...
They'd be c*nts if that's true!!
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

They're C*nts. :D

From what I gather in the comments, its nothing we havent actually seen before, just they managed to find a cleaner print of the Director's Cut or something. From Allan Brown's comment (who wrote an excellent book on the film) it sounds also if theyre restoring a missing scene (in the theatrical version and NOT in the DC) back in. Its good they managed to find a print in better condition than before though.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

You do realise you're all getting up in a tizz about the edit of the film when no-one actually involved in its production has released any information beyond Hardy's vague announcement? :D

Here's a good page on the various edits of the film. Note that Hardy talks about working with Abraxas in his video, which if you take literally on face value is probably referring to the Abraxas edit which is roughly 5mins shorter than the "Director's Cut". Now, the most informative post in that Facebook thread is the following (this is discussing the US release):
John Alan Simon wrote:Just to set the record straight - Speaking as the former U.S. distributor - The complete unedited cut was the version released on VHS (by Media Home and later by Magnum) and on DVD (as a companion disc) by Anchor Bay. We were able to video master (non HD at the time) from the single uncut long version 35 mm print "discovered" still sitting over at Corman/New World by Jon Davidson - with the help of former British Lion rep David Blake (who later became my partner). The U.S. theatrical release version by Abraxas differed in some small respects - but mainly by the lack of the six minutes on the mainland "prologue". This was the theatrical cut approved by Robyn. This was a creative/technical decision by Robyn - since adding it would have been six minutes worth of inferior quality footage struck from dupe negative created from the long print - Hence, unfortunately, no dupe negative material was ever struck of the mainland beginning.
OK, so we know Studio Canal have unearthed a "film print", which means they have one of the following:

1. The Corman print, which is the long version (Director's Cut) from which the dupe negative referred to by John Alan Simon above was struck for the later US re-release in 1979.
2. The Abraxas print, which is the 1979 US Theatrical version (roughly 5mins shorter than the DC). This is the version Hardy himself put together from the Corman dupe negative for a US theatrical re-release back in 1979.

If Studio Canal have found the Corman print then they have what is probably the best quality source for any longer version of The Wicker Man in existence, and they have the material to release the Director's Cut fully in HD. If they have the dupe negative they probably have the second best, but only the material to release the Abraxas cut fully in HD. The question is what edit of the film will they release? In the video announcement Hardy refers to his work with Abraxas, seemingly because he personally feels that version is his "director's cut". If so, that's what we're getting.

Either way we should see the benefits of a HD master struck of one of the longer cuts of the film from actual prints or dupe negatives on Blu-ray or for a theatrical re-release. That in itself should be reason to celebrate.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks for the info, Shing :thumbs: :D
Maybe they'll make a hybrid of the 2 versions somehow. Could be interesting :)
I didnt know that about the Abraxas print being shorter and that Hardy said that was his DC - I'm sure he always used to say his 'DC' was 102 minutes.
The Abraxas print will be a new one for me :)
The one on the old 2 disc DVD is from the Corman print, right?
Last edited by grim_tales on 24 Jul 2013, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Targets (1967-USA) **

Black Christmas (2006-USA-Canada) *
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The Frozen Ground - 2.5/5

It was OK, nothing special.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

According to this Facebook post, the Wicker Man BD will include 3 cuts of the film - Theatrical, Director's Cut (?), and this 'Final Cut' - if this is true this could be absolutely fantastic but surely the DC mainland scenes will look awful, they didnt find the Corman print. But still, this sounds very good.

To all The Wicker Man fans, you’ll be very pleased to know the Blu-ray will include the UK theatrical cut, The Directors Cut (with seamless branching into extra scenes) and of course The Final Cut, plus lots more - now there's a reason to celebrate! Keep following The Wicker Man for more details.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:To all The Wicker Man fans, you’ll be very pleased to know the Blu-ray will include the UK theatrical cut, The Directors Cut (with seamless branching into extra scenes) and of course The Final Cut, plus lots more - now there's a reason to celebrate! Keep following The Wicker Man for more details.
That sounds pretty good.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I agree, glad I ordered it :D Wonder how the DC branching will be handled though, because those extra scenes are poor quality.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

BTW, I just noticed Amazon (which have this up) are saying this set is 3 discs (2 BDs and 1 CD) and Zavvi are only saying its 2 discs (1 BD, 1 DVD?
I'll cancel if its not the complete set which is a shame as I really like the look of that steelbook :(
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The House of the Yellow Carpet (1983-Italy) **
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Zavvi got back to me and said the Steelbook doesnt include the extras or CD soundtrack - bah :(
Thats a damn shame as I loved the look of that steelbook - hope the Amazon price goes down.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The House on Sorority Row (1982-USA) **

Awesomely bad line delivery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeZOjz2qKFc
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Who Saw Her Die? (1972-Italy-West Germany) *½
Trick or Treat (1986-USA) *½
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The Wolverine (2013) - 4/5

So much better than I was expecting, up there with the best superhero films.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Superman 3 5.5/10
The Phantom Menace of the series. Nuff Said.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

luckystars wrote:Superman 3 5.5/10
The Phantom Menace of the series. Nuff Said.
Generous score ;)