Asian Movies in HD!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by HungFist »

Hard to say when I don't know anything about the process, but it could be, assuming they have managed to find HD transfers. Everything else is ready - extras, menus, packaging - just need to re-do three transfers.

Three, because FS seemingly doesn't have HD master for GoD, so nothing they could fix there. Though luckily for Shout, there is already an HD transfer of that on the Shout disc (the bonus Japanese cut which is supposed to be included as a bonus).

Of course, we might be getting our hopes up too early, but why else would they delay the set? I mean, it's ready and was already shipped to some customers via their website, so if they're not gonna do anything to fix the transfers, why delay the release?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Is that long enough to fix the transfers?
And get it ready for re-manufacturing, personally I'd be surprised.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

FS need to be bombarded and asked to provide HD transfers/masters, the HK BDs are HD.
Apparently the transfer of GOD on the Japanese BD is the only HD one :?
Edit: Just realised you mentioned that already.
I'll wait for reviews again.. I was just thinking of buying the Japanese BD of Game of Death (along with Fist of Fury) - doh! :oops:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote: I was just thinking of buying the Japanese BD of Game of Death (along with Fist of Fury) - doh! :oops:
You realise the Japanese BD of Fist Of Fury doesn't have english subs right? it's the exact same transfer as the HK one which does have english subtitles.
working class blu-ray fan
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

My Shout! set tipped up yesterday from importcds...hopefully if they do a "fix" i won't have to send the entire set back...it's pretty heavy
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

saltysam wrote:
grim_tales wrote: I was just thinking of buying the Japanese BD of Game of Death (along with Fist of Fury) - doh! :oops:
You realise the Japanese BD of Fist Of Fury doesn't have english subs right? it's the exact same transfer as the HK one which does have english subtitles.
Yeah, I realise that, but I was thinking of buying it to see the Japanese cut of the film (same with GoD) :)
That said IF Shout fixes the set correctly theres no need to buy a seperate GoD as the Japanese version is included in the Shout set.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:
Yeah, I realise that, but I was thinking of buying it to see the Japanese cut of the film (same with GoD) :)
That said IF Shout fixes the set correctly theres no need to buy a seperate GoD as the Japanese version is included in the Shout set.
Fist Of Fury Japanese cut is nothing special at all,just cut by about 8 minutes.the print's battered as well and has forced japanese sidetitles throughout. Japanese GOD is virtually the same as the regular version save for Ji Han Jae having some lines of dialogue before his battle with Bruce.Again forced japanese sidetitles throughout.still,if you really are curious to see these shoot me a PM ;)
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

I honestly don't think Fortune Star know what they have. If a distributor want to put a film out the best possible thing they could do is send a Chinese speaking technician on a plane and get the print in person. Otherwise they just get sent 'whatever's available' it's like a lottery: sometimes it's hd, sometimes upscaled mpeg2, sometimes uncompressed sd.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

But Fortune Star are an HK distributor, dont they have Chinese speakers? :? ;)
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

grim_tales wrote:But Fortune Star are an HK distributor, dont they have Chinese speakers? :? ;)
Not my point. :)
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

Post by hanshotfirst1138 »

My father knows who Bruce Lee is, you won't get a more high-profile release than this, and it's messed? Between DVD and Blu-Ray, you can count off the number of Hong Kong action films that have gotten the proper releases the they deserve on one hand. God, it's frustrating.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Japanese Ozu BD's 2014/03/08

Ohayo (Good Morning)
Late Autumn
An Autumn Afternoon
Equinox Flower
- http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_dvd. ... sid=896828

All with English subs. Available in a box set and separately. Tokyo Story was already released and said to be superior to the UK BD
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I think I may have jizzed in my pants a little:

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1012-z ... -swordsman

If this hits the B&N 50% November sale it might be as low as $113!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

If... £73 for 25 films.

Even I think that would be excellent value.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

That is fantastic! Actually I've only seen a handful of Zatoichi films, always thought I'd end up getting one of the R2J box set + Animeigo discs of the rest... now I'm happy I didn't.

Though I'm wondering how have they divided the films on discs. It says 27 discs for 25 films, and supposed to be both BD's and DVDs included. Maybe 2 films per disc for most discs? Probably fine for BD, but it wouldn't be very Criterion-like to put two films on one dvd...
Shingster wrote: If this hits the B&N 50% November sale it might be as low as $113!
Probably not this year, though. I think pre-orders were excluded... and titles released during the sale period probably won't get included either. Maybe.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

HungFist wrote: not this year, though. I think pre-orders were excluded... and titles released during the sale period probably won't get included either. Maybe.
It depends, they included the pre-order of The Devil's Backbone in the sale this year, which I took advantage of.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Makes me wish I was a chanbara fan.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

This looks interesting but I've never seen any of the Zatoichi films, not ready to spend that much money.. :oops:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

According to a post on the Blu Ray.com forums in the Bruce Lee set thread, the "corrected" set has been pushed back again to Oct 22.
Could this be enough time to fix the transfers?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Wow. Wow. Wow!

Shout just admitted their Bruce Lee transfers were below par (aka upscales) and said that the new set (Oct. 22) would feature new transfers.
- http://www.cityonfire.com/shout-factory ... ease-date/

That's fantastic news. We should, though, keep in mind they may not have time to do color correction and stuff like that on the new transfers. I hope all the audio tracks will also be in sync now that the transfers come from a different source *

* Although they would surely be the same cuts, it is not entirely rare for different prints to feature tiny differences, e.g. missing 0,1 seconds of footage in a scene or two (not censorship). You never notice it untill you try time subtitles from one dvd to another and you notice it doesn't sync... then you have to go thru the entire film to find the spot where the one print had 0,2 second more footage of blue sky, and that caused subs to go out of sync...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Hmmm.... I'll wait for reviews (again). But might bite and get that set :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Shout said they ended up with older masters first time round, how could they make that mistake? :?
Wish the set was just Blu Rays only though. I can understand DVDs for the extras, but repeating the films on DVD is pointless IMO.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales wrote:Shout said they ended up with older masters first time round, how could they make that mistake? :?
Because they blindly believed Fortune Star who claimed to have delivered them the latest HD masters.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Wonder if Shout! will be colour correcting the films again given that the masters are different? Somehow I doubt it :?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'll consider getting this set if the price comes down I think :) I have enough DVDs of Bruce Lee as it is though :D