MY TOP 10 HOLLYWOOD MOVIES OF EVERY YEAR 1940-1999

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Re: MY TOP 10 HOLLYWOOD MOVIES OF EVERY YEAR 1940-1999

Post by RetroRobot »

You have a lot of Fritz Lang on your list. Have you seen Der Tiger Von Escnapur (Tiger of Bengal) and Das Indische Grabmal (The Indian Tomb)? The two originals, mind you, not the crappy splice job. Then you'll know where Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom came from.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Post by Masterofoneinchpunch »

RetroRobot wrote:You have a lot of Fritz Lang on your list. Have you seen Der Tiger Von Escnapur (Tiger of Bengal) and Das Indische Grabmal (The Indian Tomb)? The two originals, mind you, not the crappy splice job. Then you'll know where Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom came from.
No. I'll pick them up if Kino or Criterion releases them (or if I get very lucky and find the Fantoma OOP. I still have a few others to get/watch of the 1920s Fritz Lang output. Out of the 20s work, I have seen and own Dr. Mabuse, Die Nibelungen, Metropolis (several copies), and Spies.

Sooooo many films to watch/own.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

The Eureka version is good, I have that.

Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Night of the Hunter (1955: Charles Laughton)
To Catch a Thief (1955: Alfred Hitchcock)
Ladykillers (1955: Alexander Mackendrick)
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955: John Sturges)
The Court Jester (1955: Melvin Frank, Norman Panama)
The Man from Laramie (1955: Anthony Mann)
East of Eden (1955: Elia Kazan)
Mister Roberts (1955: John Ford, Mervyn LeRoy)
Mr. Arkadin (1955: Orson Welles)
Kiss Me Deadly (1955: Robert Aldrich)

Additional: The Man With The Golden Arm (1955: Otto Preminger)
Not Seen of Retro: The Big Combo, The Dam Busters, Desperate Hours, Escape to Burma, House of Bamboo, Land of the Pharaohs

The Searchers (1956: John Ford)
Seven Men From Now (1956: Budd Boetticher)
The Ten Commandments (1956: Cecil B. DeMille)
Giant (1956: George Stevens)
Around the World in 80 Days (1956: Michael Anderson)
Forbidden Planet (1956: Fred M. Wilcox)
There’s Always Tomorrow (1956: Douglas Sirk)
Moby Dick (1956: John Huston)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956: Alfred Hitchcock)
The Killing (1956: Stanley Kubrick)

Additional: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956: Don Siegal)
Not Seen of Retro: Alexander the Great, D-Day, Helen of Troy, A Kiss Before Dying, While the City Sleeps

Sweet Smell of Success (1957: Alexander Mackendrick)
The Tall T (1957: Budd Boetticher)
A Face in the Crowd (1957: Elia Kazan)
Paths of Glory (1957: Stanley Kubrick)
Witness for the Prosecution (1957: Billy Wilder)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957: David Lean)
3:10 to Yuma (1957: Delmer Daves)
12 Angry Men (1957: Sidney Lumet
Forty Guns (1957: Samuel Fuller)
Heaven Knows,Mr.Allison (1957: John Huston)

Additional: Funny Face (1957: Stanley Donen)
Not Seen of Retro: Crimes of Passion, Edge of the City, Men in War, Nightfall, Sayonara, The Unholy Wife

Vertigo (1958: Alfred Hitchcock)
Touch of Evil (1958: Orson Welles)
The Defiant Ones (1958: Stanley Kramer)
Thunder Road (1958: Arthur Ripley)
Man of the West (1958: Anthony Mann)
The Big Country (1958: William Wyler)
The Lineup (1958:Don Siegal)
Some Came Running (1958: Vincente Minnelli)
Murder by Contract (1958: Irving Lerner)
Gigi (1958: Vincente Minnelli)

Additional: No Time for Sergeants (1958: Mervyn LeRoy)
Not Seen of Retro: The Naked and the Dead, Run Silent Run Deep, Torpedo Run, The Vikings, The Young Lions

Ben-Hur (1959: William Wyler)
Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959: Robert Stevenson)
North By Northwest (1959: Alfred Hitchcock)
Rio Bravo (1959: Howard Hawks)
Ride Lonesome (1959: Budd Boetticher)
Anatomy of a Murder (1959: Otto Preminger)
The Horse Soldiers (1959: John Ford)
Some Like it Hot (1959: Billy Wilder)
Sleeping Beauty (1959: Clyde Geronimi)
Last Train from Gun Hill (1959: John Sturges)

Additional: I’m All Right Jack (1959: John Boulting)
Not Seen of Retro: Battle of the Coral Sea, Crimson Kimono, Ferry to Hong Kong, Journey, Solomon and Sheba
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Lots of great picks, and even more in common, now. East of Eden almost made my list, but I just find the setting and time period kinda dull. But obviously they had to adhere to the book, so that's my hang-up, no fault of the filmmakers. Superb performances though.

If you like 50's Technicolor period epics then put The Vikings on your list. It's a fantastic and thoroughly entertaining movie. And make a note of Crimson Kimono as well... Sam Fuller was decades ahead of his time with this one.
Last edited by RetroRobot on 13 Mar 2014, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

RetroRobot wrote:Lots of great picks, and even more in common, now. East of Eden always made my list, but I just find the setting and time period kinda dull. But obviously they had to adhere to the book, so that's my hang-up, no fault of the filmmakers. Superb performances though.

If you like 50's Technicolor period epics then put The Vikings on your list. It's a fantastic and thoroughly entertaining movie. And make a note of Crimson Kimono as well... Sam Fuller was decades ahead of his time with this one.
I need to purchase The Vikings, but I do already have Crimson Kimono. You are not the only one who has put it high on a list so it is higher on my personal queue than other films. As you know trying to prioritize watchings can be a pain, luckily a fun pain. Do I watch a film noir, Hong Kong, latest release, classic French film etc... Is there anything more hilarious then talking to a kid who thinks they seen everything? That is when our cinematic haughtiness comes out.

I tend to like epics similar to Ben-Hur which is one of my favorite films. I know you will see some more when the 1960s come around. I've seen mostly older films lately so I don't think I'll have any problems with a 30s list. I already have a top 10 20s list per year, but it is worldwideand not English. I have seen several 1920s films since I made it, so I might consider doing an English speaking one.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Yeah, I can sometimes sit in front of my dvd shelves for 45 minutes trying to decide what to watch. Though it usually comes in waves what im in the mood for. I'll watch HK stuff for like two weeks, and then burn out on that, switch to 80's Hollywood, same thing, then go for some Giallo or Euro crime or whatever. Also, now im kinda forcing myself to do screen caps for my future review site, everytime I put a flick on.

I really like 50's and 60's color period epics. I missed Fall of the Roman Empire on my 60's list... it should have been on there. Even stuff like Solomon and Sheba, which is generally reviled, but I love the sets, locations, costumes and just general visual oppulence of this genre. So I am pretty forgiving for any shortcomings they may have in the story or acting department.

Even though im not well versed in the 20's or the first half of the 30's, I would like to see your lists for those.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:Is there anything more hilarious then talking to a kid who thinks they seen everything? That is when our cinematic haughtiness comes out.
I found that I can't really talk movies with anyone in real life, because the people I meet, their knowledge is just so lacking that they won't get my references, they have no clue into technical aspects, genre distinctions etc. and it's just pointless. I mean, if you think the Star Wars prequels or the Transformes flicks is like the height of cinematic acheivement, then we have nothing to talk about.

I know some people saw me as a film snob, while actual film snobs couldn't fathom how I could like both Casablanca and American Ninja in equal measure. The concept of broad taste is completely lost on them. I actually pity those people more, than the ones who just has crappy taste :)
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Looking forward to seeing your future site.

While not the biggest fan of Pauline Kael I do always think of the often quoted (among us film nerds): “Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash we have very little reason to be interested in them.”

It's always a little harder to judge oneself, but I do know I have some snobbery in me especially with film. But I do like a wide range of genres and I do see art where not everyone does. I also like entertainment. So when I talk to offline people (making this seem like a William Gibson concept) I tend to tailor the movie talk to, of course, what they like. Older friends are usually easier to discuss a wide variety of movies, younger generations tends to be the blockbusters or occasional overhyped indie film. I always recommend and lend when I can. Here is a copy of Police Story :D.

I'm sure you get the "recommendations" from people who state something like "you haven't seen ----" then you are not a movie fan or you must really watch ----. Of course I get this online as well :D. Of course, it is easy to turn it around.

My approach to watching is rarely in waves but to mix up time periods, countries and genres. I take this approach so I do not burn out. I take this cinematic studying approach as a marathon not a sprint. I know too many people who have done an insane amount for a year and then burn out and go to video games. But also I have too many additional activities like work, gym, people etc... (though late at night I'm watching my movie.) Also in chosing the next film to watch I think about what lists I am working on, what recommendations for the film, do I need to see this soon, does this work off an earlier watch and try to prioritize. Of course sometimes I just pick something I'm in the mood to watch :D.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Sure, you can tailor it to what they like. Only problem is, most people I know like absolute shit. And im not gonna dumb myself down to have a conversation on their level. This guy I use to work with, his favorite film of all time was Scary Movie 2...... I repeat..... his favorite film of ALL TIME was SCARY MOVIE.... 2. Not Just Scary Movie.... but Scary Movie 2. That nearly made my head explode. So yes, I guess I have some film snobbery in me too.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Eye strain from looking at so many movies on IMDB and own personal lists.

Psycho (1960: Alfred Hitchcock)
The Apartment (1960: Billy Wilder)
Spartacus (1960: Stanley Kubrick)
Elmer Gantry (1960: Richard Brooks)
The Magnificent Seven (1960:John Sturges)
Tunes of Glory (1960: Ronald Neame)
Inherit the Wind (1960: Stanley Kramer)
The Time Machine (1960: George Pal)
Sergeant Rutledge (1960: John Ford)
House of Usher (1960: Roger Corman)

Additional: Peeping Tom (1960: Michael Powell)
Not Seen of Retro: Esther and the King, Exodus, The Gallant Hours, Hell to Eternity, Seven Thieves

Judgment at Nuremberg (1961: Stanley Kramer)
Blast of Silence (1961: Allen Baron)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961: Blake Edwards)
El Cid (1961: Anthony Mann)
The Hustler (1961: Robert Rossen)
King of Kings (1961: Nicholas Ray)
Pocketful of Miracles (1961: Frank Capra)
The Ladies Man (1961: Jerry Lewis)
West Side Story (1961: Jerome Robbins, Robert Wise)
The Innocents (1961: Jack Clayton)

Additional: Pit and the Pendulum (1961: Roger Corman)
Not Seen of Retro: Bachelor in Paradise, Barabbas, The Guns of Navarone, Paris Blues, Underworld, U.S.A.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962: David Lean)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance(1962: John Ford)
Ride The High Country (1962: Sam Peckinpah)
To Kill A Mockingbird (1962: Robert Mulligan)
Birdman of Alcatraz (1962: John Frankenheimer)
Advise and Consent (1962: Otto Preminger)
Cape Fear (1962: J. Lee Thompson)
Hatari! (1962: Howard Hawks)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962: John Frankenheimer)
The Intruder (1962: Roger Corman)

Additional: The Music Man (1962: Morton DaCosta)
Not Seen of Retro: The 300 Spartans, Damon and Pythias, The Longest Day

The Great Escape (1963:John Sturges)
It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963: Stanley Kramer)
Charade (1963: Stanley Donen)
Jason and the Argonauts (1963: Don Chaffey)
The Haunting (1963: Robert Wise)
The Comedy of Terrors (1963: Jacques Tourneur)
From Russia With Love (1963: Terence Young)
Hud (1963: Martin Ritt)
The Nutty Professor (1963: Jerry Lewis)
Lilies of the Field (1963: Ralph Nelson)

Additional: Billy Liar (1963: John Schlesinger)
Not Seen of Retro: Cleopatra, Come Blow Your Horn, Kings of the Sun

Dr. Strangelove (1964: Stanley Kubrick)
The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964: Anthony Mann)
A Shot in the Dark (1964: Blake Edwards)
Seven Days in May (1964: John Frankenheimer)
Goldfinger (1964: Guy Hamilton)
The Patsy (1964: Jerry Lewis)
Zulu (1964: Cy Endfield)
Mary Poppins (1964: Robert Stevenson)
My Fair Lady (1964: George Cukor)
A Hard Day’s Night (1964: Richard Lester)

Additional: Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964: Byron Haskin)
Not Seen of Retro: 633 Squadron, The 7th Dawn, Fail Safe, Morituri, Topkapi, The Train
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

22 in common there, if my math is correct. That's almost half. Little shocked you've never gotten around to Guns of Navarone :) Though the rest are more understandable. I was really struggling with the 60's.... probably my least favorite decade in HLWD history of the ones I listed. Or maybe there's just a ton of hidden gems i've missed out on.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

RetroRobot wrote:22 in common there, if my math is correct. That's almost half. Little shocked you've never gotten around to Guns of Navarone :) Though the rest are more understandable. I was really struggling with the 60's.... probably my least favorite decade in HLWD history of the ones I listed. Or maybe there's just a ton of hidden gems i've missed out on.
Guns of Navarone: I was going to make a note about that one. I did recently buy it for my Dad so I will eventually get to it.

Anything on my list for the 60s that you haven't seen I recommend :D. There is some great films from that decade (all decades since the 20s really) especially if you include non-English films. First go over the Academy Award BP winners (this I've done), then the nominees (which I need to get more of), then check out 60s movies on lists like 1001 movies to see before you die etc...

With 60s you see the end of the mainstream western for a while, same with musicals. The production code goes bye-bye so movies get more violent and more nudity (since pre-code era). There is less and less black and white, more politics, the rise of Jerry Lewis as a director, the start of many directors in cinema like Martin Scorsese, Peter Bogdanovich etc...
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Nothing so far from the 60's that I either haven't seen or am dying to see. But you had plenty in the two preceeding decades that I made a note of.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Just when you thought it was safe ... I will try to see something on your lists soon. I watched Crossfire last night thinking it was mentioned on your lists, but it was not :D. However, it was on another friend's list so it was needed to be watched anyways. I also saw 300 (part II) yesterday so it will be on my top 10 of 2014, by default since I have not watched 10 2014 films.

Doctor Zhivago (1965: David Lean)
The Cincinnati Kid (1965: Norman Jewison)
Cat Ballou (1965: Elliot Silverstein)
The Flight of the Phoenix (1965: Robert Aldrich)
The Sound of Music (1965: Robert Wise)
The Sons of Katie Elder (1965: Henry Hathaway)
Thunderball (1965: Terence Young)
Shenandoah (1965: Andrew V. McLaglen)
Ship of Fools (1965: Stanley Kramer)
The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965:Carol Reed)

Additional: The Family Jewels (1965: Jerry Lewis)
Not Seen of Retro: Battle of the Bulge, The Bedford Incident, Brain Storm, Faster, Pussycatd!Kill! Kill!, The Heroes of the Telemark, In Harm’s Way, Operation Crossbow, Von Ryan’s Express

A Man for All Seasons (1966: Fred Zinnemann)
Blow-Up (1966: Michaelangelo Antonioni)
The Professionals (1966: Richard Brooks)
How To Steal a Million (1966: William Wyler)
El Dorado (1966: Howard Hawks)
The Naked Prey (1966: Cornel Wilde)
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf (1966: Mike Nichols)
The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming (1966: Norman Jewison)
The Fortune Cookie (1966: Billy Wilder)
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966: Richard Lester)

Additional: The Bible: In the Beginning (1966: John Huston)
Not Seen of Retro: Ambush Bay, Around the World Under the Sea, Assault on a Queen, Gambit, Khartoum, The Quiller Memorandum

Cool Hand Luke (1967: Stuart Rosenberg)
In The Heat of the Night (1967: Norman Jewison)
Hombre (1967: Martin Ritt)
In Cold Blood (1967: Richard Brooks)
Bonnie and Clyde (1967: Arthur Penn)
The Dirty Dozen (1967: Robert Aldrich)
Point Blank (1967: John Boorman)
The Producers (1967: Mel Brooks)
The War Wagon (1967: Burt Kennedy)
You Only Live Twice (1967: Lewis Gilbert)

Additional: The Graduate (1967: Mike Nichols)
Not Seen of Retro: Fathom, The Night of the Generals, Tony Rome, The Venetian Affair

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968: Stanley Kubrick)
Bullitt (1968: Peter Yates)
Yellow Submarine (1968: George Dunning)
Planet of the Apes (1968: Franklin J. Schaffner)
Hang Em High (1968: Ted Post)
Monterey Pop (1968: D.A. Pennebaker)
The Party (1968: Blake Edwards)
The Odd Couple (1968: Gene Saks)
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968:Norman Jewison)
Oliver! (1968: Carol Reed)

Additional: Night of the Living Dead (1968: George A.Romero)
Not Seen of Retro: The Detective, Lady in Cement, Submarine X-1

True Grit (1969: Henry Hathaway)
The Wild Bunch (1969: Sam Peckinpah)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969: George Roy Hill)
On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969: Peter R. Hunt)
Easy Rider (1969: Dennis Hopper)
The Italian Job (1969: Peter Collinson)
Hello Dolly! (1969: Gene Kelly)
Take the Money and Run (1969: Woody Allen)
Support Your Local Sheriff (1969: Burt Kennedy)
Midnight Cowboy (1969:John Schlesinger)

Additional: Cactus Flower (1969: Gene Saks)
Not Seen of Retro: The Bridge of Remagen, Eye of the Cat, Flareup, The Lost Man, Marlowe, The Royal Hunt of the Sun
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

16 more from the 60's.

Three movies you have on there, that I have caught for flak for not liking in the past is...

Point Blank. Gave it plenty of chances... own both the VHS and the DVD, but I just don't don't dig it.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid... never could get into this one. I know it has classic status, but I just don't like it.

The Italian Job... love Michael Caine, love the setting, love the cars.... don't care for the rest.

Two movies I have to re-assess is A Man For All Seasons and The Agony and the Ecstasy. I like period pieces from this era, but I think I was just not properly geared for them when I saw them.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

RetroRobot wrote:16 more from the 60's.

Three movies you have on there, that I have caught for flak for not liking in the past is...

Point Blank. Gave it plenty of chances... own both the VHS and the DVD, but I just don't don't dig it.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid... never could get into this one. I know it has classic status, but I just don't like it.

The Italian Job... love Michael Caine, love the setting, love the cars.... don't care for the rest.

Two movies I have to re-assess is A Man For All Seasons and The Agony and the Ecstasy. I like period pieces from this era, but I think I was just not properly geared for them when I saw them.
I can understand not liking Butch Cassidy as well as The Italian Job (unless you pick on Caine), have a little trouble understanding not liking Point Blank. I'm a huge Lee Marvin fan and it is considered one of his many iconic roles as one of his most influential as well.

A Man for All Seasons I would consider a classic with a great Robert Shaw performance, though I was on the fence about including The Agony and the Ecstasy, though I think it is a good film. It certainly can lose the prologue and it would be better for it. Heston can act.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Not particularly a fan of Lee Marvin, but I don't dislike him either. And I can't quite pinpoint exactly what it is I don't like about Point Blank. Maybe I should watch it with one of those old like-dislike focus group meters in my hand, and then go back and inspect the data :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Lee Marvin is cool, but I preferred Payback to Point Blank.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

RetroRobot wrote:Not particularly a fan of Lee Marvin, but I don't dislike him either. And I can't quite pinpoint exactly what it is I don't like about Point Blank. Maybe I should watch it with one of those old like-dislike focus group meters in my hand, and then go back and inspect the data :)
Anytime I do a full length review I do something like that (those mentally take it out of me). First watch I try to do a fun, enjoy watch though my brain is always going on some topic like homages, ability of actors, etc... but I do try to limit that -- on the first watch or watching with people (I'm one of those types that like to pay attention to every little detail so I usually hate talking during film or being distracted, especially on first watch).

Some actors I grow to like, though with Marvin I've been a fan for years.

Next week will either be 30s or 70s.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Yeah, I guess I do it in my head when watching any movie really, But with that particular film, I just can't put into words what it is I don't like about it. Some scenes I find downright annoying. I should probably give it one final watch and try to write down what irks me.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Saw Twelve O'Clock High over the weekend. Good film and enjoyed it. Had to watch at least one of your picks this weekend.

The Aristocats (1970: Wolfgang Reitherman)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970: Sam Peckinpah)
Catch-22 (1970: Mike Nichols)
Five Easy Pieces (1970: Bob Rafelson)
Gimmie Shelter (1970: Albert Maysles, David Maysles)
Little Big Man (1970: Arthur Penn)
MASH (1970: Robert Altman)
Patton (1970: Franklin J. Schnaffner)
Rio Lobo (1970: Howard Hawks)
Woodstock (1970: Michael Wadleigh)

Additional: The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970: Billy Wilder)
Not Seen of Retro: The Executioner, Fragment of Fear, Hornet’s Nest, They Call Me Mr. Tibbs, Tick… Tick… Tick…, Two Late the Hero, Tora! Tora! Tora!

Bananas (1971: Woody Allen)
Dirty Harry (1971: Don Siegel)
Fiddler on the Roof (1971: Norman Jewison)
The French Connection (1971: William Friedkin)
The Grissom Gang (1971: Robert Aldrich)
Harold And Maude (1971: Hal Ashby)
Shaft (1971: Gordon Parks)
THX-1138 (1971: George Lucas)
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971: Monte Hellman)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971: Mel Stuart)

Additional: The Omega Man (1971: Boris Sagal)
Not Seen of Retro: Klute, The Organization, Panic in Needle Park

Cabaret (1972: Bob Fosse)
Deliverance (1972: John Boorman)
Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972: Robert Fuest)
Frenzy (1972: Alfred Hitchcock)
The Getaway (1972: Sam Peckinpah)
The Godfather (1972: Francis Ford Coppola)
Jeremiah Johnson (1972: Sydney Pollack)
Junior Bonner (1972: Sam Peckinpah)
Play it Again, Sam (1972: Herbert Ross)
What’s Up Doc? (1972: Peter Bogdanovich)

Additional: Avanti! (1972: Billy Wilder)
Not Seen of Retro: Across 110th Street, The Mechanic, Red Sun, Slaughter, Superfly, The Valaci Papers

American Graffiti (1973: George Lucas)
The Day of the Jackal (1973: Fred Zinnemann)
High Plains Drifter (1973: Clint Eastwood)
The Last Detail (1973: Hal Ashby)
Mean Streets (1973: Martin Scorsese)
Paper Moon (1973: Peter Bogdanovich)
Papillon (1973: Franklin J.Schaffner)
Sleeper (1973: Woody Allen)
The Sting (1973: George Roy Hill)
Soylent Green (1973: Richard Fleischer)

Additional: Enter the Dragon (1973: Robert Clouse)
Not Seen of Retro: Charley Varrick, The Mack, Serpico

Blazing Saddles (1974: Mel Brooks)
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974: Sam Peckinpah)
China town (1974: Roman Polanski)
The Conversation (1974: Francis Ford Coppola)
Death Wish (1974: Michael Winner)
The Godfather II (1974: Francis Ford Coppola)
The Longest Yard (1974: Robert Aldrich)
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974: Joseph Sargent)
The Towering Inferno (1974: John Guillermin)
Young Frankenstein (1974: Mel Brooks)

Additional: Zardoz (1974: John Boorman)
Not Seen of Retro: Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, The Education of Sonny Carson, Mr. Majestyk
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

14 more...

But I expected a lot in common in the 70's. Though I am shocked by some of the ones you haven't seen.... Serpico, Superfly, The Mack in particular. But hey, you also have seen a lot that I haven't.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

RetroRobot wrote:14 more...

But I expected a lot in common in the 70's. Though I am shocked by some of the ones you haven't seen.... Serpico, Superfly, The Mack in particular. But hey, you also have seen a lot that I haven't.
Expect Serpico and Superfly to watched sooner than later. Now if I can only find my copy of Serpico (seriously a film I really want to watch and would have if I had not misplaced it --I might even rebuy it used if I cannot find it soon). Your list influenced me into watching Twelve O'Clock High sooner than later (I tend to triangulate lists to figure out what to watch next sometimes.)

WIth the 70s there are some films on some years I do not want to leave off but must (even with that 11th pick; I've even though maybe I should have put it on there later ...)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Don't think I'm gonna do the 70s myself, but the following would be likely contenders for a decade top ten (titles from your list).

DIRTY HARRY
HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER
SERPICO
DEATH WISH
JAWS
ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN
ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13
ROCKY
TAXI DRIVER
ALIEN

The following 80s/90s films (again from your list) I haven't seen...

ALLIGATOR
BRUBAKER
NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER
FORT APACHE: THE BRONX
OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN, AN
WARGAMES
BREAKIN’
TUFF TURF
IRON EAGLE
MANHATTAN PROJECT, THE
THRASHIN’
ASPEN EXTREME