Do I need to watch the Rambo movies in "order"?

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Do I need to watch the Rambo movies in "order"?

Post by grim_tales »

In a few weeks a cinema near me is showing a double bill of Rambo with First Blood and Last Blood, I've only seen First Blood so far :oops: Is it important to see the other films before seeing Last Blood (which could be the final film, I guess)? Do they contain spoilers or callbacks to the earlier films?
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Do I need to watch the Rambo movies in "order"?

Post by Shingster »

I don't recall any significant callback or flashback of any kind in Last Blood, so all you'll be missing is most of the context at the start of the film: Who Rambo is at that point in time and what he's been through after First Blood.

TBH if anything it probably helps i you aren't all that familiar or invested in John Rambo, as it's a pretty shitty closing chapter for him.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I just can't believe he hasn't seen Rambo (IV)! :o
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Have you seen Last Blood yet Mark?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Shingster wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 01:09 Have you seen Last Blood yet Mark?
No, wasn't showing at my local.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 23:18 I just can't believe he hasn't seen Rambo (IV)! :o
Seconded. It's pretty universally acknowledged as one of the best action films of the 2000s. I re-watched it recently and it was still almost as good as when it came out.

Looking forward to Last Blood but the damn thing doesn't even have a release date in Japan yet.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Markgway wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 08:11
Shingster wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 01:09 Have you seen Last Blood yet Mark?
No, wasn't showing at my local.
Yeah it seemed to have a weirdly limited release, Cinweworld near me didn't screen it past 6.30pm, ensuring most people who work for a living could only really see it at the weekend. That is extremely unusual for an action film of any type, much less an established franchise. There were two 11pm late showings on the Fri/Sat which is where I got a chance to watch it. It'll be interesting to see what your take on it is, I had a very mxed reaction to it myself.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

As soon as I see it - probably not for a while now - I'll post a quick take in the review thread.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The Last Blood superior extended international cut is on only on 4K BD in Germany. I was disappointed by this fact. (At least the Aus release I have has the extended cut on the bundle 1080p BD.)

The US theatrical cut is missing the opening scene where Rambo rescues a hiking woman from a very bad storm. This scene is important because it sets up Rambo's initial state for his character arc.