The Hong Kong Exploitation or Cat III Thread

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

The Hong Kong Exploitation or Cat III Thread

Post by HungFist »

Daughter of Darkness - 3/5
I'm new to HK exploitation but this seemed like a quality entry. The first third is excellent, very funny and lots of "Anthony Wong show". The middle part drags but the ending is rather good. Gonna keep the dvd but I don't see reason to upgrade to more expensive french remastered edition. The film was good, but not that good.
Last edited by HungFist on 11 Dec 2006, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,
I don't see reason to upgrade to more expensive french remastered edition
It would've been worth it had it been uncut (including the longer stabbing scene). As it's the same cut as Universe, the HK dvd stays with me. Have a clip of the uncut stabbing scene though so I have some bonus to look back on.

At any rate, the film does the job it wants sufficiently, including featuring William Ho as the number one sleazeball of the genre and casting Lily Chung to radiate symapthy. My recommendation Hung is to focus on the works of Billy Tang from this period, especially RUN AND KILL and RED TO KILL
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Thanks, both are already on my shipping list. Next to Run and Kill it says "HK Video only". I don't know why I wrote that but I assume there's something wrong the Universe disc.

Other Cat III movies I see on my shopping list (which has more than 350 movies overall): Eternal Evil of Asia, Slave of the Sword, Ebola Syndrome, Love Kill Kill, Red to kill, Brother Of Darkness, Chinese Torture Chamber Story, Raped By an Angel...

Who was Lily Chung? Anthony's partner? Anyway, that girl was really cute. The other female lead was rather pretty too. Looked and also sounded like Maggie Cheung....

EDIT: Lily was the other girl, right?
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,
Next to Run and Kill it says "HK Video only".
Full version. HK dvd is missing part of a montage earlier in the film where Kent Cheng wanders around Hong Kong, the blood draining scene is now uncut and there's some more Simon Yam during a chase at the end.
Other Cat III movies I see on my shopping list (which has more than 350 movies overall): Eternal Evil of Asia, Slave of the Sword, Ebola Syndrome, Love Kill Kill, Red to kill, Brother Of Darkness, Chinese Torture Chamber Story, Raped By an Angel...
Good choices (aside from Slave of The Sword reportedly, have that to watch soon. Trailer made it look fun as they intercut Max Mok diabolically laughing between action and the rest of the smut) and I guess Raped By An Angelcould be considered the lesser of the bunch as it's a grating Wong Jing movie largely. However it has the best comeuppance for a villain ever in a film. Eternal Evil Of Asia is lovely fun, hiughlight being Elvis Tsui being turned into a dickhead, literally. Director Cash Chin is quite an unappreicated director of Cat III, coming in relatively late but gave us also Sex & Zen II and Naked Poison.

ETERNAL has Ben Ng but he will make the most impression on you in Red To Kill. Lily Chung co-stars in that one, her best role and she was the victimized girl in Daughter of Darkness. The Billy Tang directed Brother Of Darkness reverses the premise of DAUGHTER.

On RED again, it's one of the few, if not the only, of its kind from this time that was shot in synch sound! Helps immensely. A certain Swedish based website covers these movies mostly. ;)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Knetan wrote: Full version. HK dvd is missing part of a montage earlier in the film where Kent Cheng wanders around Hong Kong, the blood draining scene is now uncut and there's some more Simon Yam during a chase at the end.
Thanks. I still have to think about that. After all, 3€ for a HK dvd isn't a bad deal and I can always upgrade if I feel like it...
Knetan wrote: A certain Swedish based website covers these movies mostly. ;)
Hehe, I know, some of the titles on that list were picked based on those reviews :)
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,

Universe went really budget on us with their Run To Kill dvd as it was taken from a LD master based on the cinema print. Subs fairly frequently wanders beneath the frame there. Otherwise Universe has been kind to Cat III movies, even going as far as trying to put together prints from various sources (I'm sure you saw some quality shift during your viewing of DAUGHTER) to at least get to the point where the censor approved edit of a film is presented.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Yeah, I noticed those "new" scenes. Some could complain they're presented in inferior quality, but I think Universe did great job. It's not like every company bothers to take footage from several different prints to create a longer and less cut version. Especially since the price of the finished product is only 3€.

The quality of the Universe dvd is pretty decent too. Sharpness is nowhere to be found, but it's not blurry like some other Universe dvds I own (like Gorgeous). The colors looked pretty good, and the sound was a lovely mono.

I saw some store advertising this disc as "The Almost Uncut Version" :D
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,

Daughter as it is on Universe's dvd now is equal to the cut Category III rated edit as presented in cinemas. When Ocean Shores released their full screen laser disc, several scenes were removed (read the tech. notes here http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.1002/qx/details.htm) but at least one piece of violence was left in, the full stabbing scene!

Their subsequent full screen dvd again had the same scenes removed as mentioned in the link but was now missing that piece of violence (typical Ocean Shores)! So with Universe and their dvd, their main print was missing scenes but the sourced footage to AAAAALMOST complete it was, as you say, not jarring as such. I love the solution, rare initiative by a HK dvd company.

BTW, I heard reports since that buyers of the Universe dvd was saying that William Ho's whipped cream torture towards the end (the Row, row your boat scene I believe ;)) was not complete anymore! A new, cut pressing of the Universe dvd? Would you check your dvd?
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Isn't the German DVD of "Run and Kill" uncut? I know that missing scenes are featured as deleted scenes at least.
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,

the german dvd is based on the full print but your censors otherwise slaughtered it. :shock: ;)
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Sorry, my fault. The German DVD seems to be heavily cut. It still has the deleted scenes in it, though. Duh...
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,

Yep. The previously missing shots from the blood draining sequence are still on the German dvd.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I don't know how the scene is supposed to go but it definitely seems like there's a cut. Here's how the scene goes on my dvd (one cap from each "segment"):

SPOILER WARNING
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... t/DODa.jpg
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... /DOD1a.jpg
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... /DOD2a.jpg
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... /DOD3a.jpg
The cream comes out of nowhere, and also disappears a few second later.

What exactly is missing?

Sorry it took some time to get this post made. My mon was sitting behind my back and I didn't feel like playing that scene in front of her sensitive eyes :wink:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

How does the HK/Tai Seng DVD of "Raped By An Angel" compare in tone to NAKED KILLER? I know the film is really nothing to do with Naked Killer, just based on it or something.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales wrote:I know the film is really nothing to do with Naked Killer, just based on it or something.
:lol:
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,
The cream comes out of nowhere, and also disappears a few second later.

What exactly is missing?
There's a whole tangent where William Ho is rubbing cream all over Lily Chung, licking it off her, quite an extensive piece and it's all contained on the Universe dvd I have. Seems like a later pressing was missing it! :( The scene is over rather quick?
I know the film is really nothing to do with Naked Killer, just based on it or something.
NOTHING to do with Naked Killer aside from some of the same cast appearing. The cover art you've seen with Chingmy Yau and gun is from a scene in the film but it's a photo shoot since Yau is a model in the film. Raped By An Angel is silly and suitably in your face as per the rating. Definitely shows Wong Jing was in on the direction alongside Andrew Lau.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Knetan wrote:The scene is over rather quick?
Yes, the cream lasts about 5 seconds...
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,

unfortunately you have the even MORE cut Universe remaster then. From one coo decision to a bad one. Welcome to collecting Hong Kong cinema.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

HungFist wrote:
grim_tales wrote:I know the film is really nothing to do with Naked Killer, just based on it or something.
:lol:
Why is that funny? :)
Oops, just read it back, what I mean is its not really a sequel to Naked Killer, despite the international re-title.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Knetan wrote:hey,

unfortunately you have the even MORE cut Universe remaster then. From one coo decision to a bad one. Welcome to collecting Hong Kong cinema.
What's the running time of your disc?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Is Daughter Of Darkness any good?

Maybe I'm missing something because if it's like say Irriversable maybe it has worth but otherwise why would you want to watch such a film? It looks hideous, maybe I'm missing something.
degeneration wrote:Night Watch 3/5

Interesting and entertaining enough film, but not as good as I was hoping or expecting. WIll definitely check out the next installments though.
Did you watch the Russian or International Cut? I "think" they're the same bar the groovey International subs.
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,

sometimes it's best not to ask for an explanation as sometimes there isn't a logical one, brad. ;)

Hung: 93m 20s, starting from the Mandarin films logo
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Knetan wrote:
Hung: 93m 20s, starting from the Mandarin films logo
What the hell, mine is 90:23. Is there more than just the cream scene missing?
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,

the initial discussion a while ago on another forum didn't lead that person or myself to go through the movie to check for more.

The entire scene from where Lily Chung wakes up tied up, through the rape that is interrupted when Hugo Ng bursts into the door goes on about 3 minutes. How long does it last on your disc, using the reference points I gave you?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I'll check it tomorrow, got to go to sleep now. Work tomorrow...