The SD-DVD & HD Comparisons thread

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Can do, but quite busy this weekend. Probably on Monday. Please remind me.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I have ordered the R3Ks of End of Evangelion: Renewal and Kare Kano. I will do comparisons of these:-
For EoE:- vs. the a 20-30% compressed rip of the shitastic R4 (same master as all the shithouse Mangle releases).
For Kare Kano:- vs. the R1.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

I'm hoping to get some Perfect Blue R3K caps from a fellow I found via Google. I'll compare those to R1, R2UK and R2FR ones. The R3K (presumably a R2J port + festival English script) and R2FR are both anamorphic.

Eva, will be interesting to see your KKNJ comparison. Will you compare the Korean broadcast discs as well? Btw where did you order from? I noticed it was OOP again.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Lourdes wrote:I'm hoping to get some Perfect Blue R3K caps from a fellow I found via Google. I'll compare those to R1, R2UK and R2FR ones. The R3K (presumably a R2J port + festival English script) and R2FR are both anamorphic.
I'd be interested in seeing that.
Eva, will be interesting to see your KKNJ comparison. Will you compare the Korean broadcast discs as well? Btw where did you order from? I noticed it was OOP again.
I'll be comparing whatever set that Dvdfromkorea ship out to me. Hopefully it ain't the same shithouse masters as the R1. It is a 12 disc set according to the DVDfromkorea page rather than a 6 disc one.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

6 discs are R2J ports, the other 6 are a Korean broadcast version with Korean text. Didn't notice it on DVDfromKorea, but found it now.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Lourdes wrote:6 discs are R2J ports, the other 6 are a Korean broadcast version with Korean text. Didn't notice it on DVDfromKorea, but found it now.
Awesome. I'll compare both versions against the R1.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

WHAT? Do the video versions include extra scenes not seen in the broadcast version?

Until I watch the whole thing through, or I can get some info on it, but I believe that the R3 version is the home video version. The R1 is the TV edited version to my knowledge. If someone can get me some info on what the home video version has that's extra, I can check my R3 DVDs.

EDIT: Ah I see.
The Japanese DVD release has an alternate scene of episode 18 when Yukino and Arima are having intercourse. The Japanese version features some tasteful stills of them. The American release by Right Stuf only features a blank screen.

I'll try to mostly get caps of one of the early episodes. Maybe include a couple from the cardboard cut-out ep and final episode with next to none actual dialogue.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Lourdes wrote:I'm hoping to get some Perfect Blue R3K caps from a fellow I found via Google. I'll compare those to R1, R2UK and R2FR ones. The R3K (presumably a R2J port + festival English script) and R2FR are both anamorphic.
Damn. I didn't know the R3K had english subs. Otherwise I would've bought it a long ago. Now it's OOP. Damn.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

HungFist wrote:Damn. I didn't know the R3K had english subs. Otherwise I would've bought it a long ago. Now it's OOP. Damn.
I kind of regret not getting it when I learnt of it a couple of weeks ago. But it's a Korean release so it'll probably be in stock again in a few months.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Lourdes wrote:I kind of regret not getting it when I learnt of it a couple of weeks ago. But it's a Korean release so it'll probably be in stock again in a few months.
I've been waiting for Perfect Blue R3K to come back in stock for over a year now.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Hmm perhaps I was mistaken then. But why wouldn't you just buy the R2J and sub it? It's fairly inexpensive.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Still waiting on the R3K Perfect Blue caps but I did manage to find the German release which is also anamorphic.

Has anybody got the HK release of Hana and Alice? I have the R3K and will have the R1 to hand soon.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'm gonna order the R2J Perfect Blue tomorrow. Hopefully the transfer ain't pants as the DVD is not the cheapest.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I plan to get the new R2J HD-downscale remastered Macross Plus boxset in a few months. Will do a comparison when once I've gotten it.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

Anybody got Dragon Lord ?
(anything but the HKL disc)
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon

Post by Ray_Rogers »

tom2681 wrote:Anybody got Dragon Lord ?
I'm pondering about ordering it from DDDHouse.com I'll let you know the progress of the order. I'll be buying the Joy Sales/Fortune Star release.
I'm back AGAIN.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! Say NO to DNR/EE!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Ray_Rogers wrote:
tom2681 wrote:Anybody got Dragon Lord ?
I'm pondering about ordering it from DDDHouse.com I'll let you know the progress of the order. I'll be buying the Joy Sales/Fortune Star release.
It's a downmix, in case you didn't know.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Doesn't contain the original theatrical version either but a Taiwanese re-edit.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Anyone up for a Howl's Moving Castle comparison? I've got the R4.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Anyone up for a Howl's Moving Castle comparison? I've got the R4.
http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/writin ... -howl.html

But I have the R2UK so if you want to see if they have the same transfer or which is better than go for it.

I'll be doing Whisper of the Heart R2UK vs. R2J myself later.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Just a point of note by the way. In addition to the ease of VDubMod I always demux the video using DVD Decryptor before taking caps. It makes life a lot easier to have the whole thing in one file, saves trying to work out which vob contains a certain part of the film when comparing different versions in multiple instances.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Any chance for The Big Heat comparison? Joy Sales vs old HK release(s)
dudeabides
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by dudeabides »

How about DARK CRYSTAL or LABYRINTH original Superbit and new Anniversary comparisons?? THANKS!!! :wink: :D
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

I'll put up Azumanga R1 vs. R2J sometime and I'm expecting the R2UK of Solid State Society tomorrow so I'll add that to the current comparison.
I'm also going to be renting a lot of UK discs as I have 3 months free rental. So I'll probably put up a fair few BFI/MoC vs. Criterion comparisons because the Beaver ones are untrustworthy and I need to watch some more classic Japanese cinema. I'll eventually add R2J's as well if I can.

I saw this fine gem at Beaver just now - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... lu-ray.htm . Comparing a BD at 559x239 (that's what? 6% of the original resolution?) using camera shots, genius!
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

What's the point, eh? I've seen forums on AVS that do a much better job because the captures are true captures and are in 1080 rez. This is just pointless.