The Sarah Connor Chronicles Thread

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

My Dad does that all the time using WinAVI Video Converter (top program, much simpler than most). Me I just burn the Xvid/Xvid to a DVD-RW and watch it native.

Not that I can be bothered. It's too much hassle to download an entire series then burn it. I'm happy to wait and let my PVR do all the hard work. It's not like I'm remotely in any rush. Getting it early is all relative to watching something else in the mean time.

It has a Ad. Skip button which skips all adverts with only a few button presses. I do agree the quality is generally decent for TV shows though, they're only TV shows. Compared with films where it can often stink.

I have considered downloading Planet Terror though, what with being denied the chance to see it in the cinema. I was happy to pay but nope I wasn't given the chance.

p.s - I thought the PS3 could read DivX/Xvid?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

it does-but i make the dvds for my brother,a couple of episodes to a disc.takes 5 minutes to download the show then i use either svcd2dvd or convertxtodvd.
working class blu-ray fan
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

A couple of episodes? I used convertxtodvd on 24 Season 6 for my parents DVD player (I use XBMC for my plasma) and I was fitting 4 episodes on a disc.

Same with Prison Break actually...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The bitrate on DivX/Xvid is so low any way you may as well cram as many on as you can, within reason. In DivX I fit an entire series of Doctor Who on one DVD5 :D . I did have to reduce one by reducing it down from 300Mb to 350Mb though.

I'll have to give Convertxtodvd a go thanks.

Please remember don't post any actual BT or the like links though!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i did the new flash gordon series at 4 to a disc.decent quality as well.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Flash Gordon???

EDIT: Oh this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0959086/

I didn't know it exists but it looks as shit as Smallville. Superman without a cape turned into Coronation Street, yep that will work.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

from the one episode i saw it is shit.i very rarely watch sci-fi tv shows,i generally can't stand them. i have no interest in star trek,stargate etc. i own very few sci-fi movies either,maybe my dislike of the genre is why i think Blade Runner is pants.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Maybe.

The trouble with most SciFi "TV" is it turns into a soap opera when in fact it should be a SciFi show. I love Star Trek though. The Classic series has so much nostalgia value and the latter series are ace too, even if they all have some major turkeys too.

p.s - The Sarah Conner Chronicles is scifi too ;) , as is Jurassic Park technically.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
p.s - The Sarah Conner Chronicles is scifi too ;) , as is Jurassic Park technically.
i said rarely,not never!.Jurassic Park is a big ass monster movie in my eyes not a sci-fi one.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I checked out the first episode on Virgin 1 last night. It was pretty good, much better than expected and better than Terminator 3.

They've got the dark tone just about right.

It was utterly full of holes though, like how the female Terminator said the engineer took 28 months to build the gun which would've meant he was there while Arnie and Co. were destroying Skynet 2 years earlier.

Speaking of the female Terminator I can appreciate why they didn't want another older woman but come one she is ridiculously too young to have the gravitas to play a Terminator. It is great to see a strong female lead in main role though, that's super rare!

I wish Virgin 1 would send with the program the Series Link flag though, without it my PVR doesn't know it's a series and isn't able to automatically add in next weeks program or adjust the time if the schedule changes.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Virgin 1 could also do with getting hold of widescreen masters. I'll stick to downloading it, thanks.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Agreed, it's weird when most channels use 16:9 as the norm. I cannot be arsed to download it, too much hassle. My PVR records it and does the lot for me, much easier. I'm happy to wait.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

In Terminator 3 it said Sarah Connor died in 1997, so what's she doing here 2 years later? ;)
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

bradavon wrote:Agreed, it's weird when most channels use 16:9 as the norm. I cannot be arsed to download it, too much hassle. My PVR records it and does the lot for me, much easier. I'm happy to wait.
uTorrent & RSS? No? Even easier than a PVR!
grim_tales wrote:In Terminator 3 it said Sarah Connor died in 1997, so what's she doing here 2 years later? ;)
Its already been discussed, grim! The writers of the show decided to "forget" Terminator 3 had happened.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Oh, right :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:In Terminator 3 it said Sarah Connor died in 1997, so what's she doing here 2 years later? ;)
If you watched it you'd know ;)

I actually forgot what T3 said but it's actually a bit like Superman Returns where the sequels aren't really supposed to exist, that falls to bits when you thought about it too.

You need to try and forget all the plot holes (T2 had many too) and go along with it, not easy I know. All I know is it looks like it will be much better than T3 which is the main thing.

Possible Spoilers

Part 1 is set in 1999 and according to the episode the events of T2 happened in 1995 (which I thought was a bit late?). They're then teleported to 2007 and the trailer for next week says Sarah Connor dies of Cancer in 2005, so while they have got the time line wrong it looks like they're generally fitting the series in with the events of T2 and T3.

Possible Spoilers Over
IronMonkey wrote:uTorrent & RSS? No? Even easier than a PVR!
I hadn't looked into RSS feeds for BT but it wouldn't still be as easy. I'd still need to download it, check it's the right file and does get corrupt part way through (rare I know but even so), burn it to a DVD before I could watch it.

Then for many they'd also need to convert it from DivX/Xvid to DVD too. Sure I have to wait (& Virgin 1 did put a ridiculous amount of ads in Episode 1) but other than that the PVR does it all for me. It's not like I don't have enough to be watching in the mean time.

Plus on TV it's a quick 60 minute show I can watch then get on with something else. If I downloaded it I'd probably want to watch all the episodes sooner which turns it from a quick 60 minute show into a hassle.

The same goes for Ashes to Ashes.

It's just how we like to watch it I suppose, both ways have their worth. Downloading for the most part is too much hassle IMO.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

If T1 is "set" in 1984 John Connor could be born in 1985, making a 1995 date for T2 possible (if John is suppposed to be 10).
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

just watched episode 7.pretty good show.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Is that how far ahead they are in America? Episode 2 is on this Thursday :D

The trailers on Virgin 1 are ace.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I caught Episode 2 on Thursday night and it was a marked improvement over Episode 1 (which I also liked). I am glad this is not just a chase show and they've clearly thought about it a bit.

The 9/11 reference was surprisingly deep, great stuff. Sarah Conner clearly makes the show and thankfully they have picked a decent actress to carry the weighty role. I still think she's too attractive and nowhere near tough enough. The Sarah Conner from T2 and The Sarah Conner Chronicles is not the same woman!

The biggest problem of course is easily the female terminator. She is absurdly too young. Why on earth would Skynet make her?

I can see why they didn't cast an older woman to play a Terminator as that would've been a problem against the age Sarah Conner is. An older man would've been so much better.

Also:

* Why on earth would they take a whopping 2 minutes to reboot? Not even Windows takes that long :D
* How on earth can the Terminators NOT know what John looks like? He's is the biggest threat bar none.

But like I said overall it was very good. More of the same please. After only 2 episodes it's considerably better than T3, and for that I'm thankful.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What episode are they up to in America? I guess episode 7 or 8. I hope a second series is commissioned as right now it's ace and so much better than it could've been.

I've just watched episode 3 so please just say if it's answered in future episodes but:

1. What on earth are those paintings on the walls at the High School?
2. Why would the Terminator cut his eyes out? Sure he needs them but without him no one knows how to create human like skin.

I must've missed this one in last weeks episode:

3. How are the members of the safe house again? I thought they were all killed in episode 2 but they're not.

Thanks.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

double episode in the states this week.now up to episode 9. :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. Is there a special reason for that? Any idea how many episodes there are total?

I hope Warner bring out a box set and the show has some type of conclusion (i.e - it doesn't just finish after Series 1).
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

first season is meant to be 13 episodes,i think filming the final 4 was/is delayed by the writer's strike.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

My god it's only currently 9 episodes!