What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by HungFist »

romerojpg wrote:Keep missing the 4th one, its the worst :D CGI cars and CGI locations for the most part! make CGI stunts seem very CGI.

Mind you i just bought it on Blu Ray :roll:
:D :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Robin Hood (2010): 2.5/5

Thought it was OK but not great - felt like Gladiator in some ways but not nearly as good.
I like the grittier style and enjoyed it overall but parts were just dumb. Like the battle at the end with Cate Blanchett on a pony!.
Markgway wrote:Alien 3 *** Under-appreciated sequel remains the most intelligent, most dramatic, and best acted entry in the series. The extended cut is certainly valid on its own terms, but on balance I still prefer the theatrical cut.
:o . There's lots of so many exorcised scenes in the extended cut. An entire plot point is missing. I do think how Ripley embraces the Alien in the theatrical cut works much better than the Christian overtones used in the Extended Cut works better though..

I sometimes wonder if you're biased against extended or just get bored easily. I have no idea how you could prefer the theatrical cut.
Yi-Long wrote:Couldn't you tell from the depressed look on it's face!?
:D. Imagine getting subjected to Paul W.S. Anderson movies again and again.
Yi-Long wrote:Wait... so I was the only one here who HATED I, Robot!?
I liked it and used to own it.
luckystars wrote:why the hell did they cut out Rose McGowan's scenes?
How is that possibly a spoiler? :D. WTF! Why?
grim_tales wrote:Robin Hood was OK but silly at times - eg somehow Robin persuaded the King to sign the Magna Carta - what!
That's just artistic license to give it gravitas. That worked well.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Wait... so I was the only one here who HATED I, Robot!?
I liked it and used to own it.
Did you read my review 1/2 pages back? I name-dropped you... :D
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Nope. It was too long for a film I'm not especially interested in. How nice to be included :cool:. I'll go check.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote: :o . There's lots of so many exorcised scenes in the extended cut. An entire plot point is missing. I do think how Ripley embraces the Alien in the theatrical cut works much better than the Christian overtones used in the Extended Cut works better though..
I don't think that the inclusion of those scenes make it a better film.

The restored opening with Charles Dance on the beach and the cattle is atmospheric and I wouldn't complain about its inclusion - but does it make the film better in any way? No. The theatrical cut comes to the same conclusions but in a more expeditious manner. Both are valid.

A lot of the added religious stuff is repetitive (and may well have hit the cutting room floor before release) and extended conversations wordier ways of saying the same thing. A few scenes of peripheral characters (ie. prisoners) are wholly uncessary. Much of the information doled out in the extended cut has already been related effectively in the theatrical cut. The extended cut is almost certainly not the final product Fincher would have released. It's flabby and needed trimming.
I sometimes wonder if you're biased against extended or just get bored easily. I have no idea how you could prefer the theatrical cut.
Not biased if the extensions make the film better. I admit I think most modern movies are overlong and self-indulgent. Many people prefer the theatrical cut... I'm not alone.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Did any of you see Alien 3 in the cinema? or was that a little before your time :D
I was under age mind you. It was a crushing disappointment at the time considering what had come before it (the perfection of Aliens which I had watched maybe a few hundred times!).
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

romerojpg wrote:Did any of you see Alien 3 in the cinema? or was that a little before your time :D
I was under age mind you. It was a crushing disappointment at the time considering what had come before it (the perfection of Aliens which I had watched maybe a few hundred times!).

I've only seen Alien Directors cut in the Cinema. Probably 10 years ago?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

romerojpg wrote:Did any of you see Alien 3 in the cinema? or was that a little before your time :D
I was under age mind you.
I was 6 at the time :D

I did rent it on VHS quite a few times at the age of 10 or 11. I even invited the girl from upstairs to watch it with me. For some reason, she refused. I couldn't understand it... :(
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Having rewatched Aliens last week I can say that IMO it's far from perfect. The first half needs judicious pruning. Dialogue and acting are uneven too.

I was only 12 when Alien 3 came out and it was an '18' at the cinema.
HungFist wrote: I even invited the girl from upstairs to watch it with me. For some reason, she refused. I couldn't understand it... :(
Maybe she was scared you were a facehugger...? 'Get off me, you slobbering beast!' :D
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Aliens is great, but it's honestly dumb as shit at the same time!

Like how does the Alien operate the lift and the doors to the dropship :lol:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I agree I liked the gritty style of Robin Hood, Brad.
Anyway..
The Patriot (Seagal): 1.5/5 (maybe 2/5)
Pretty stupid film TBH. Surprised this was an 18, its not very violent IMO.

Bill Bailey: Part Troll: 5/5
Hilarious :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Hey I had only just turned 15 when I went to see Alien 3, even if it was an 18 :thumbs:
luckystars wrote: Like how does the Alien operate the lift and the doors to the dropship :lol:
Did you even watch the film :lol: It doesn't operate either, the lift has already been called by Ripley so it just got in and was took to the top and the doors it never operated, it was hiding in the undercarriage bay and came out once it had landed :thumbs:
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote:
HungFist wrote: I even invited the girl from upstairs to watch it with me. For some reason, she refused. I couldn't understand it... :(
Maybe she was scared you were a facehugger...? 'Get off me, you slobbering beast!' :D
Hmmm, valid point. Still, I can only take that as a compliment :lol:
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

romerojpg wrote:Hey I had only just turned 15 when I went to see Alien 3, even if it was an 18 :thumbs:
luckystars wrote: Like how does the Alien operate the lift and the doors to the dropship :lol:
Did you even watch the film :lol: It doesn't operate either, the lift has already been called by Ripley so it just got in and was took to the top and the doors it never operated, it was hiding in the undercarriage bay and came out once it had landed :thumbs:

Nope I'm talking about the lift in the finale, and when Corporal Ferro (Colette Hiller) is killed.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Automatic doors ;)
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I never saw Alien 3 in the cinema, but I remember when it came out theatrically as the owner of the trusty old local Video Van always had a fresh pirate copy of the week's new releases! I think I watched that crappy dark boot about three times before it finally came out on rental! :D

I seem to recall it recieving a generally underwhelmed reception from critics, not as much the hatred it seems it recieved in the US but a general disappointment that, while it was a step towards its roots in pyschosexual themes, it failed to capture the intensity and horror of the first film. Didn't the French recieve it best of all? I think opinion of the third film in the UK nowadays is stronger as a lot of fans have started to champion it on subsequent viewings.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

That sometimes happens... Blade Runner, It's a Wonderful Life and Citizen Kane were slagged off upon first release weren't they? The only truly important opinion is your own.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote:That sometimes happens... Blade Runner, It's a Wonderful Life and Citizen Kane were slagged off upon first release weren't they? The only truly important opinion is your own.
The Thing also. Which made me think...

Ridley Scott
1979: Major breakthrough with sci-fi film Alien
1982: Bashed for sci-fi film Blade Runner
Later: Blade Runner is declared as one of the best sci-fi films

John Carpenter
1978: Major breakthrough with horror film Halloween
1982: Bashed for horror film The Thing
Later: The Thing is declared as one of the best horror films

Who else had his breakthrough in 78-79? Bet he got bashed in 82 :D
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

George Lucas? :lol:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Attack the Block: 3/5
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Condemned **

Battle Royale with beefy brawlers or The Running Man in the jungle?
Brutal attempt at satirical actioner fails not only because the peculiarly hypocritical script isn't sharp enough, but because the shaky-cam action sequences largely suck ass.
Never a wise move in an ACTION movie (see also The Expendables).
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

gasteropod wrote:Attack the Block: 3/5
Nice little film.

I watched it on the biggest best digital screen, at a prime time slot on Saturday night, the cinema held 1000+ people, it had 10 in it :lol: never in my life seen anything on our big screen so empty. Talk about over estimating the audience!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Haha yeah there weren't many in our screen either, I don't think the film has been publicised very well though, I hadn't even seen a trailer.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ohh it has been flogged hard in our area, cinema has been showing the trailer constantly for many months before all films! overkill if anything.

Mind you I couldn't even convince anyone to go with me to see it, a film about Chavs just was not for others it seems.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Hey, I've been to cinema alone (the 2nd Bourne film). Not a soul except me in the theater...

Tokyo Fist (Tsukamoto retro in Sapporo) wasn't a hit either... me, and a friend I dragged along. I was afraid I'd be alone in A Snake of June, but there were actually 3 or 4 other people...