What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Post by grim_tales »

Tony Robinson's Cunning Night Out: 4.5/5

OK so he won't win awards for actual stand-up, but I really enjoyed it :) There are lots of anecdotes and family stories - one of my all time heroes :thumbs: Similar to his Worst Jobs In History show of 2004 - I met him then and talked to him, really nice bloke :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I suppose that depends on your definition of what a gay man is. If you think that a vulgar stereotype like Bruno is a fair representation of a gay man then maybe the homophobia is closer to home.
Trust me I know a lot more gay people than you do and I can safely say "it's a very exaggerated portrayal of some gay men". No one's said it's an accurate portrayal of all gay men. Vulgar is open to debate. I found it funny, as did many others.

As to being fair, well it's a comedy, so an odd comment to make but then you always choose to get irate and take the PC stance, whereas others find this sort of thing funny. Odd when you normally "claim" to be against PC.
I'm not "judging". I'm merely putting forward some counter-arguments based on what I've seen and read.
You certainly are judging it. Counter-arguments, what utter bollocks. "Vulgar" is your word, not theirs.

Watch the bloody film before creating an opinion that isn't even accurate. To think you're the one who claims that I'm the obnoxious bastard who argues just for the sake of arguing. Pot, kettle, black.
Last edited by bradavon on 10 Aug 2009, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:Brad, how did you react to the bit where the penis swings round and then shouts 'BRUNO!!', I couldn't breathe at that point :lol:
OMG! I couldn't stop myself laughing, especially when it spoke. Absolutely hilarious.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:When Celine Dion's "My Heart will go on" starts playing I was in fits of laughter.
Spoiler tags please. That is the film's best and most surprising moment.
Markgway wrote:You clearly didn't understand my point. I said unprovoked reactions. That's the real test of homophobia. Having a grossly camp monster of a creation mince about in my face wouldn't impress me much - does that make me a homophobe? It's easy to elicit an outraged reaction by being outrageous. That's not satire. Satire is the humour in reality not an artificial reality in which someone like Bruno is deemed to be a representative of gay men. We're not laughing at the bigotted audience... we're laughing at the obnoxious poof with the silly accent.
Mark is right. Bruno is a character that would be easy to hate. He's almost like a manga character come alive. Hating him doesn't necessarily have anything to do with homophobia.

Just like Borat being an irritating fuckhead doesn't have anything to do with his nationality.
Last edited by HungFist on 10 Aug 2009, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

HungFist wrote:Spoiler tags please. That is the film's best and most surprising moment.
Gas. had already given away the ending anyway, thank you! What I said means nothing without that.
Markgway wrote:Mark is right. Bruno is a character that would be easy to hate. He's almost like a manga character come alive. Hating him doesn't necessarily have anything to do with homophobia.
Except a lot of the people in the film are clearly homophobic, even if Bruno is larger than life. I sure as hell would act the way many of the people in the film do. Some of the things they say are despicable, irrespective of how he's acting.

Besides this is all largely irrelevant if the film is funny, it is and we've at least seen the bloody film.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Trust me I know a lot more gay people than you do
We all know that very well by now. 8)
I can safely say "it's a very exaggerated portrayal of some gay men". No one's said it's an accurate portrayal of all gay men.
Then how can it being exposing homophobia? The supposed homophobes aren't reacting to a real gay man are they? How would you react to Bruno as a person? The things he says and does... his appearence and attitude? I've met gay people and had no issue with them, but Bruno...?
Vulgar is open to debate. I found it funny, as did many others.
Vulgar can be funny. He's clearly vulgar. Funny, perhaps? I'll judge that when I see the film. But the clips didn't make me laugh. Although I understand they couldn't show the most offensive stuff on TV.
As to being fair, well it's a comedy, so an odd comment to make but then you always choose to get irate and take the PC stance, whereas others find this sort of thing funny. Odd when you normally "claim" to be against PC.
I just object to two things:

1. Claims that Bruno is cutting edge satire when It's nothing of the sort. Even your fave critic Mark Kermode made this point.

2. The film is exposing homophobia. It clearly isn't exposing anything other that Baron-Cohen's desire to get a reaction by doing whatever it takes to upset people and then saying "oh look at how bigotted these inbreds are". Borat was largely the same.
Watch the bloody film before creating an opinion that isn't even accurate.
I've already said I will. But that doesn't mean we can't debate now based on what I've seen and read. It's not like I'm totally ignorant of what Bruno is. If when the time comes I change my views I'll be the first to say so. If Bruno does work in its entirity as satire I'll mention it. Right now that appears to me not to be the case - and I'm not alone.
To think you're the one who claims that I'm the obnoxious bastard who argues just for the sake of arguing. Pot, kettle, black.
Brad, don't worry. No one will steal your mantle of being Bullets' most obnoxious bastard. You're safe. :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:Mark is right. Bruno is a character that would be easy to hate. He's almost like a manga character come alive. Hating him doesn't necessarily have anything to do with homophobia.Just like Borat being an irritating fuckhead doesn't have anything to do with his nationality.
At least someone understands what I'm saying.......
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Brad I hope you mean you WOULDN'T act the way many of the people in the movie do? 8)
Havent seen Bruno yet but I couldn't believe some of the things people said in Borat and the way they acted, I know Borat's an OTT character but the attitude of some people in the movie was definitely racist.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:
HungFist wrote:Spoiler tags please. That is the film's best and most surprising moment.
Gas. had already given away the ending anyway, thank you! What I said means nothing without that.
So that makes it ok to further spoil it? If I had not seen the film I'd be on my way to rip your head off. And gas' too.

So you both add spoiler tags before the film is spoiled for every reader. Please.

And I go fix my own tags thats because I only managed to apply them to half of that sentence...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I cannot beleeeeve how much you are talking about BIG GAY BRUNO and Borat, they are dumb funny trash, end of.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

HungFist wrote:So you both add spoiler tags before the film is spoiled for every reader. Please.
Done!
Markgway wrote:We all know that very well by now. 8)
Clearly not you, you presumed I was homophobic ;).
1. Claims that Bruno is cutting edge satire when It's nothing of the sort. Even your fave critic Mark Kermode made this point.
Who actually said it was though? Maybe the trailer but then when are they ever accurate? I don't believe anyone whose seen it would actually think that.
If when the time comes I change my views I'll be the first to say so. If Bruno does work in its entirity as satire I'll mention it. Right now that appears to me not to be the case - and I'm not alone.
Who gives a fuck if it's a poor satire? It's a comedy, end of.
grim_tales wrote:Brad I hope you mean you WOULDN'T act the way many of the people in the movie do? 8)
Many of my best friends are gay. I go to a gay bar regularly, many people assume I'm gay. Guess ;).
grim_tales wrote:but I couldn't believe some of the things people said in Borat and the way they acted, I know Borat's an OTT character but the attitude of some people in the movie was definitely racist.
The two films are very similar. If you find one racist/homophobic you will the other, if you find one funny, you will the other.
romerojpg wrote:I cannot beleeeeve how much you are talking about BIG GAY BRUNO and Borat, they are dumb funny trash, end of.
For once, we agree.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:
HungFist wrote:So you both add spoiler tags before the film is spoiled for every reader. Please.
Done!
Thank you. I love you, man.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

HungFist wrote: Thank you. I love you, man.
:D feel the man love.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I found some of Borat bloody funny :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Clearly not you, you presumed I was homophobic ;).
I was being facetious. I know you have lots of gay friends.
Who actually said it was though? Maybe the trailer but then when are they ever accurate? I don't believe anyone whose seen it would actually think that.
It's a justification used to fend off complaints form the gay community about Baron-Cohen's portrayal of their sexuality. A lot of gay people are uncomfortable with this movie.
Who gives a fuck if it's a poor satire? It's a comedy, end of.
Huh?
I go to a gay bar regularly, many people assume I'm gay. Guess ;).
You mean you're not?? :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Do you have to post that video every time the G word is mentioned? ;)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I love the song/video :D in a non Gay way mind you :D but I am seing them live soon as well haha imagine that live :bounce:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Two gays tried to steal my jacket in a gay club on Saturday night lol (why was I there? Because it's the only place still open after our preferred club closes!)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The gay bar in my city is one of the last to close too, not the last though.

I was chatting to some cute girl, we invited her and her mate back to our place. They walked all the way there (which isn't long but even so), stayed all of 2 minutes (we turned around and they'd gone) and took my bloody Ray-Ban sunglasses with them. Bitch! I didn't realise until the morning.

Thankfully they were either fake or rejects (I got them off a bloke in Barcelona) and not expensive, but I still really liked them and I don't care about actual designer shades anyway. I'd never pay full price.

I had no problems with her wearing them herself but imagine walking off with them. I hate how some girls do that. They'll be miles away by now, she wasn't a local. Grrr! Nothing even bloody happened, I didn't get a chance. Definitely one to learn from, Brad keep your sunglasses away from girls!
Last edited by bradavon on 11 Aug 2009, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Magnum Force (USA, 1973) – 3/5
Co-starring Meiko Kaji clone Adele Yoshioka.

The Enforcer (1976) – 2,5/5
Getting weaker. Without Eastwood and Dirty Harold this movie would’ve been long forgotten.

Creepshow (USA, 1982) – 2,5/5
Highly uneven episode film by George A. Romero. Some of the episodes are strong horror, while others are z-grade comedy.
Father’s Day – 3/5
The Lonely Death of Jordy Verril – 1,5/5
Something to Tide You Over – 3/5
The Crate – 4/5
They’re Creeping Up On You – 1/5
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Inglorious Bastards 2/5

A Classic case of a film not living up to it's ingenious title,this men on a mission italian exploitationer is quite repetitive and only gets going in the final 20 minutes.Still Bo Svenson is good and The Hammer is always worth watching.
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Holland v England: 4/5

Apart from the silly goals we conceded, England were pretty good :D Good comeback, good result! 8) Quality goals by Defoe. In the 2nd half we actually turned up.
And I have to say the singers who sang our National Anthem were splendid :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's a film? :D More like a TV or Sports show. I was most annoyed to see bloody Football on BBC2 and ITV2 last night :shock:.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I should have put it in sports but didnt think it warranted its own thread just to rate that :)