Arrow Bruce Lee set in 4k - includes long lost BIG BOSS and GAME OF DEATH FOOTAGE!!!

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Arrow Bruce Lee set in 4k - includes long lost BIG BOSS and GAME OF DEATH FOOTAGE!!!

Post by Killer Meteor »

bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Arrow Bruce Lee set in 4k - includes long lost BIG BOSS and GAME OF DEATH FOOTAGE!!!

Post by grim_tales »

This is amazing :o Especially interesting is that "newly uncovered deleted scenes" for Big Boss are mentioned, so were there scenes deleted from the Mandarin cut as well?! :o
May just have to go 4K for this (though I think there was a normal Blu Ray set as well). This might be the set to end all sets and I've bought these movies so many times over the years.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Arrow Bruce Lee set in 4k - includes long lost BIG BOSS and GAME OF DEATH FOOTAGE!!!

Post by HungFist »

Sounds very promising and I’ve already ordered mine. Just a few things I hope they’ll include.

- The authentic Japanese cut of The Way of the Dragon (on Japanese BD), not the incorrectly re-created 4K version missing logos and inserting computer generated JP text/title screens (on Japanese UHD).

- Japan-English audio for Boss and Fist. Authentic Japanese shortened theatrical cut for Fist would be interesting too (as found on JP BD, not on the JP UHD which is the HK cut with JP audio) though I'm not expecting to see it.

- Better audio for Game of Death. I recall my old IVL DVD sounding much punchier than the audio on the Criterion BD or the Japanese 4K.
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

Ordered mine today... can't wait for this!
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

I've been rewatching the HKL commentaries in preperation for this release. Remember when Bey Logan's worst deed was joking that Steve Martin was in FIST OF FURY?

I couldn't help but go "Oooh, awkward", when Logan comments on Bruce Lee guiltly sneaking out of the brothel in THE BIG BOSS with "Shame on him."
bradavon wrote:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Fist of Fury trailer was awesome at the time :)
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

The long-lost footage from THE BIG BOSS is fascinating to see. The second brothel visit feels like outtakes from a mondo documentary!

And it's interesting that in cutting down the film, somebody took the trouble to remove James Tien's best fight footage! No wonder the poor bastard is still cranky!
bradavon wrote:
Beat TG
Pedicab Driver

Post by Beat TG »

My copy should arrive next week. Can't wait!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I got my Arrow set in the expected state (looks like Bruce Lee punched it into one of the corners). Quick observations:

The Big Boss: A Japanese English is included, but it’s a different track than what I expected. Three years ago Japanese distributor TWIN recreated the Japanese version using the Fortune Star masters as a base but changing the audio, and this version had instrumental music in the OP credits and an English language Mike Remedios song with vocals at the end. Arrow however has a Chinese language song with vocals in both the OP and END. I must admit I don’t know which one is authentic. Anyone?

Fist of Fury: The packaging says Japanese English audio is included, but it’s nowhere to be found on the disc! Damn! This is my favourite track for the film. The bonus materials contain an English export cut which I believe is the standard version with English OP and END credits via seamless branching. The OP features the Mike Remedios song from the Japanese English version, however, the END has a different song than what TWIN had. EDIT: I was mistaken. The song is there! Sorry everyone!

Way of the Dragon: Thank you Arrow! The authentic Japanese version is included, at least as far as I can tell. Toei logo, correct ending, no computer generated screens! This is like the old Japanese BD which features a 35mm print scan, and unlike the TWIN release which was a reconstruction full of mistakes like computer generated text screen, no Toei logo, wrong ending.

Tower of Death: This contains Japanese English audio even though it wasn’t listed in the specks I think. However, now we have the Criterion / Shout Way of the Dragon situation where the JP audio track is incomplete because the film is a couple of minutes shorter than the real Japanese version which has alternative long END credits with two songs. Arrow ends after the first song as the film is over.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm really looking forward to getting this one at some point, I'm confused as to whether it's completely sold out at the moment (both 4K editions) :?