New TVs and Stutter: How do you deal with it?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

New TVs and Stutter: How do you deal with it?

Post by HungFist »

Most people who have a 4K TV have probably become familiar with the stutter on most modern TVs. I’m no tech expert, but basically anything shot 24fps (that’s nearly all the movies ever made) is likely to exhibit motion stutter on TVs with fast response time, unless you activate the horrendous soap opera aka liquid diarrhea mode that utilizes motion interpolation.

I was aware of this issue prior to buying my Sony X950H LED, but it was still quite a shock just how bad it was. And the X950H is supposed to be one of the better performers among "good TVs" in this regard. Looking at Rtings score table, it seems that better the picture quality is, the worse the stutter gets. The most mediocre TVs seems to be least affected, while OLED TVs are the worst performers in terms of stutter.

Some level of stutter is of course inherent in the film material, but I rarely noticed it (at home or in movie theatre) prior to buying a 4K TV, on which it took 4 or 5 seconds to notice it.

I find it odd that most TV reviews do not even mention stutter. I guess people are not expected to watch movies, or they are expected to use the liquid diarrhea mode?

So I was wondering how do people deal with this issue?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: New TVs and Stutter: How do you deal with it?

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I watch movies on a 4k HDR 144Hz monitor. I usually use PowerDVD 20 or VLC. Can't say that I've encountered any motion stutter when watching content.

Have you tried watching HFR content? AFAIK there's only two HFR movies available on 4k BD, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and Gemini Man. Both are Ang Lee films, shot in 120fps but are presented in 60fps due to a limitation of the 4k BD format. Apparently the recent 4k BDs of The Hobbit trilogy aren't HFR. (Can't blame them because Gemini Man and Billy Lynn looked like no budget documentaries shot on consumer DV cams IMO. I never saw HFR Hobbit theatrically so I totally missed that backlash from a decade ago.)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: New TVs and Stutter: How do you deal with it?

Post by HungFist »

EvaUnit02 wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 19:02 Have you tried watching HFR content? AFAIK there's only two HFR movies available on 4k BD, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and Gemini Man. Both are Ang Lee films, shot in 120fps but are presented in 60fps due to a limitation of the 4k BD format. Apparently the recent 4k BDs of The Hobbit trilogy aren't HFR. (Can't blame them because Gemini Man and Billy Lynn looked like no budget documentaries shot on consumer DV cams IMO. I never saw HFR Hobbit theatrically so I totally missed that backlash from a decade ago.)
No, I haven't. Frankly I can't imagine ever wanting to watch an HFR movie.