Robocop R1 AE - Yes! Released separately from the boxset!

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I've heard that theory, but I never found the extra violence comical to be honest. Murphy's murder is especially disturbing in the unrated version and wouldn't be out of place in a serious drama. The extention of the opening ED-209 shooting is incredibly bloody and to me more shocking uncut. It gets to the point where there's so much blood it's uncomfortable to laugh. Though some viewers felt the opposite. I guess it's a matter of opinion. Regardless I think we can agree the R-rated cut is a waste of space.
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

WTF... if you guys would stop buying crappy DVD players that couldn't handle basic DVD format specifications like seamless branching, there wouldn't be a need for this to be a 2 discer! ;)
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I think the Murphy death is more shocking, but the ED-209 scene is so OTT and almost comical, especially when the guy says "Somebody wanna call a goddam paramedic?" :D
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Only some very early DVD players couldn't cope with the seamless branching specification & some more advanced features like those found on The Matrix DVD. I remember my old Samsung DVD-807 had problems with T2: Ultimate Edition & The Matrix.

The MGM RoboCop DVD does NOT use seamless branching. RoboCop uses basic branching which creates a pause at the beginning & end of every extra scene added into the film, much like the extra scenes on the 24 DVDs.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:I think the Murphy death is more shocking, but the ED-209 scene is so OTT and almost comical, especially when the guy says "Somebody wanna call a goddam paramedic?" :D
It's still horrific to see someone splattered across a table by bullets.

Yes, it's excessive, but I don't think it's shot in a manner that befits the humourous, even if that was the intent.

The Evil Dead did excessive gore and that was successfully comical.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Evil Dead wasn't supposed to be comical, itjust turned out that way. :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Sure, Evil Dead II was a lot more comic, but still the first film was pretty wacky and OTT.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

There are possibly one or two moments in Evil Dead that Raimi may have played semi for laughs, but pretty much everything in the film was a serious attempt at creating full on intense horror. Bruce Campbell talks about it all in the Evil Dead Companion, about how many of the films "comedic" scenes were just down to his bad acting and Raimi's naivety when it came to horror, and not a conscious decision to go for laughs.

The book also clears up the misconceptions on the film's OAR (not that the true DVD nuts were confused). It's OAR was 1.37:1, but back when it was first shown theatrically the screen they used could only go as "narrow" as 1.66:1, so that's how it was originally shown. Nevertheless Raimi shot it for 1.37:1 and intended it to be viewed at that ratio. IIRC when it got a proper cinema release, that was when it started being shown in 1.85:1.

Sorry, gone off topic a bit there. :D
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

What a great thread, first Robocop, then it went onto Evil Dead.. :D. Thanks for the info Shingster, I'm happy with the Elite Version for OAR, and the Evil Dead 1: Book dead package for the lovely packaging :)

Hey how cool with it be Robocop Vs Evil Dead!! :)
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

I re-watched the Robocop Trilogy disc I have and I can say that it isn't as great as some say. There is a lot of dirt and clipping. The board room scenes feature so much clipping. Also, like others say, the colour has sifted to a blue hue. Again, not sure if this was intended or not. If I get the new disc in August then I'll post some captures.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

New Robocop movie coming? strange choice of director if true

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/12913
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I think he was originally going to do a Batman Begins film.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Unusual choices of directors can sometimes work well, look at X-Men and Batman.

Cheers Salty.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

What, a poor action film that's really a political platform and an OTT campy gothic fantasy film, with a dreadful dialogue; both of which are far removed from the original source material? Great examples there.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I was talking about X2 and Batman Begins, my mistake.

You're the only one who believes X-Men and X2 are political statements. Obviously there are connections to real life depression but that's in the source material anyway.

But yes they're excellent examples.