White Girl - BBC2

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

White Girl - BBC2

Post by grim_tales »

Did anyone see it?
I didnt see all of it, but I didn't like the mother in the family :( Ignorant.
The girl who played Leah was good, I think she was lonely and trying to fit in.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Wasn't that the whole point?

I didn't watch it as it looked a bit dull but other shows in the "White" Series do appeal. I will be recording the "Poles are coming" tonight and also the one on London this Friday.

I've also set my HDD/DVD Recorder to record the Enoch Powell one which is repeated next Monday. It's a Signed episode annoyingly (for me) but it seems to be the only time it's repeated.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

About her being lonely? Yes I think so, but part of me thinks that if the roles were reversed (Muslim girl moving into a "white" area), the drama would not have gotten made. Why were the family shown to be in relative poverty, drug taking etc, the mother was ignorant which painted a bad picture of working class people.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:About her being lonely? Yes I think so.
No Ignorant.
grim_tales wrote:but part of me thinks that if the roles were reversed (Muslim girl moving into a "white" area), the drama would not have gotten made.
There wouldn't have been any point. The series is about "White working class people being forgotten". White being the important word.

The film you talk about has been made though, one example being Brick Lane.
grim_tales wrote:Why were the family shown to be in relative poverty, drug taking etc, the mother was ignorant which painted a bad picture of working class people.
That's the entire point. They're working class and that's how many working class people live, particularly living in relative poverty.

More racial problems occur in working class areas, that's just how it is. Most people know not every working class person is ignorant but some are and that's specifically what the film was about.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I know what you mean but the white family, with the exception of Leah were portrayed as ignorant scum and the other Asian people were nice. Seemed black and white (literally). There are nice people and scum everywhere.
God I sound like Romero :D
Last edited by grim_tales on 11 Mar 2008, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Well you probably have a point then. I didn't see it though.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The point of the white season is to take subjects for documentaries that would normally be made about an ethnic minority and apply them to the silent majority.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Well put.

Have you been watching any of them? I'll watch the Polish one tomorrow.