The Leaders' Debates

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Leaders' Debates

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:The same goes for Tories too..
Not really.Tories main protagonist will always be Labour with the Libs considered a nuisance only.Lib Dems on the other hand have to target Tory and Labour marginals,well good luck to their candidate in those areas is all i'll say :)
working class blu-ray fan
johnlu
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by johnlu »

I have to agree that Clegg was the winner of Round One. :dontknow:

learn spanish
johnlu
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by johnlu »

Jesus Christ. The country is fucked beyond words then.
:dontknow:

learn spanish
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Ivan Drago wrote:
Markgway wrote:Doesn't matter what the job is they want experience. Never mind that you can't get experience unless someone takes a chance on you in the first place. Vicious circle.

Maybe the upcoming Tory government will be crap. If so I'll be the first one to bitch and complain. I'm really no Tory fanboy. I just see a glimmer of hope is all. Only a glimmer mind.
Why vote for Tories? Aren't the Lib Dems a good candidate?

I just don't trust the Tories, and I've lost a lot of confidence in Labour. let's give Lib Dems a chance, they've never had one!
Boy do i feel like a boob now!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Ivan Drago wrote:Boy do i feel like a boob now!
Can you narrow that down for us? ;)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

UK says no to AV, thought this was quite disappointing TBH. Much of the (Tory) papers and literature just demonised Clegg in the No Campaign it seems.
Dunno if these elections needed their own thread or not ;)
Last edited by grim_tales on 07 May 2011, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Tory nodding dog Clegg looks doomed :thumbs:
Last edited by saltysam on 07 May 2011, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I dont think this coalition will last TBH
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The country didn't say No to AV. It didn't give a shit. How many people even bothered to vote?

I did and I said No because I don't think it needed fixing. Of the three main parties, I'd still vote for Lib. Dems. They're the best of a band bunch, which isn't saying much.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

lib dems are wankers who sold out for a bit of power.i bet Clegg gives Cameron blow jobs nightly. they were virtually wiped out here in the local elections,the tosser Lord Storey got unseated by an 18 year old labour kid :notworthy:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

First past the post may not be perfect (what system is?) but AV is an absoute nonsense and the Libdems wasted a lot of our time and money on a farcical referendum we didn't need. I did vote BTW. Always do. I can't abstain and them complain about the result - can I?

Scotland was dominated by the SNP (how that happened I've no idea?)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Fair enough :) At least you guys made a decision.
I wasnt sure at first so I looked at which party leaders supported it. I agree if you didnt vote, you shouldnt complain.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

If I had to pick I'm a Lib Dem fan but they're not perfect and I didn't vote for AV. First Past the Post has worked for hundreds of years. It's good enough.

The Lib Dems did a dreadful job of educating us on the pros of AV.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:The Lib Dems did a dreadful job of educating us on the pros of AV.
Because there aren't any... :D

Unfortunately the Lib Dems look like a really weak bunch... Clegg, Cable, Huhne etc., are embarrassing themselves on a regular basis and the chances of them being elected in 2015 are slim to none.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You reckon they'd be re-elected? The only chance they've ever got to get in power is a coalition and that's out of our control. So yes it's possible again but I suspect next time Labour or Tories will win outright.

Of course there are pros to AV. First Past the Post isn't exactly perfect. For me, it was more a case of what we've got works well enough as it is. I didn't see enough in AV to justify changing a system we've had for hundreds of years. Meh. you're biased against anything "lefties" want.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I suspect next time Labour or Tories will win outright.
Most likely.
Of course there are pros to AV. First Past the Post isn't exactly perfect.
It's not perfect but it's as good a system as exists. The problem with AV is that not only would it almost guarantee hung parliments every time but you'd end up with MPs that were nobody's first choice.
Meh. you're biased against anything "lefties" want.
Because they tend to want stupid shit. If they come up with a good idea I'll vote for it. I'm not partisan really.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:The problem with AV is that not only would it almost guarantee hung parliments
I'm sure that was quickly refuted.
Markgway wrote:Because they tend to want stupid shit. If they come up with a good idea I'll vote for it. I'm not partisan really.
I could say the same about right wingers. So much nonsense, you just choose to buy into their nonsense. They all talk nonsense from time to time. Clegg's heart wasn't in AV. If his isn't, how are we supposed to get into it?

Oh come on. Admit it, you're a little partisan :D. We all are.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I'm sure that was quickly refuted.
Only three countries in the world use AV and hung parliments are a common occurance. At least one maybe all of these countries are trying to change their system. The UK was the only country dumb enough to consider a switch to it and that's purely because of the Lib Dems.
I could say the same about right wingers. So much nonsense, you just choose to buy into their nonsense. They all talk nonsense from time to time. Clegg's heart wasn't in AV. If his isn't, how are we supposed to get into it?
Everyone talks nonsense... but I feel that the left talk more nonsense on the whole and at least in the case of AV that's definately true. But to be fair many Labour politicans were against it. So it wasn't a strict left vs right issue. Ed Milliband supported AV but there's more chance of Groucho Marx getting elected in 2015 than him.
Oh come on. Admit it, you're a little partisan :D. We all are.
If I am then it's only slightly so because I genuinely don't get any kick out of following a right wing trend. If the Lib Dems came out with a good idea I'd be the first to congratulate them for it (take for example the tax exemption for low earners). And I'll criticize the right when necessary (the NHS does need streamlined but they'd better be very careful with the nation's most important asset).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Ed Milliband supported AV but there's more chance of Groucho Marx getting elected in 2015 than him.
True. He's got no balls. His brother would've made a better leader. Annoying as much as he was, at least he had some gusto. Something to take seriously. I reckon a first past the post for tories, maybe Milliband and Clegg out.
Markgway wrote:the NHS does need streamlined but they'd better be very careful with the nation's most important asset.
Agreed.