The Video Game Thread - what are you playing?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Video Game Thread - what are you playing?

Post by grim_tales »

Yo Degen, how goes it?
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Finished Arkham Origins, and while it does have its flaws, I still enjoyed it more than City. Though Asylum is still my fave. Don't really know it they can squeeze more games out of this cycle though. We've seen it all now.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Playing Ever 17 on PC, and just started Phoenix Wright 5: Dual Destinies (3DS) :)
Ever 17 is written by Uchikoshi (the same guy who did the Zero Escape series), it's very good so far but a slow burner.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Playing Assassin's Creed 4- Black Flag....

Nice visuals. But a lot of the things I hated about the shitstain that was AC 3 is sadly back. Not that far into it yet, so i'll reserve judgement for now.
Beat TG
Pedicab Driver

Post by Beat TG »

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse, Pt 1 (2013) - Very creative use of 2D sketching/drawings intact with 3D modeling, and retaining several familiar elements found in the first two games in the franchise. So far, there's no other adventure game of this caliber that have come close of recapturing the spirit of what made the sub-genre so classical. However I wish the game could've been longer or be made into a complete story because there were loose ends that will be tied for a second part coming out during Q2 this year. Not sure why they decided to do this (sales purposes?) but it affects the overall fun factor of playing it and leaves you wanting more. Rating: 8/10

Batman: Arkham Origins (2013) - Apart from several glitches (something the game have been heavily criticized for) and the overall gameplay obviously taking after Batman: Arkham City, the story and use of many famous villains (confronting Firefly was my personal favorite moment in the game) from the Batman/DC Universe make this entry to the Arkham series one of the most satisfying and fun game experiences of 2013 imo. Also, unlike the previous games this one has the biggest Nolan influence which is evident through how they managed to create the environments (less cartoonish/comic-booky), the look/outfits of Batman, the main villains and the goons, and borrowing elements from Nolan movies for the music score (with a touch of Die Hard in there as well). Rating: 10/10
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

To me, Ass Creed 4 proved utterly underwhelming and forgettable. I guess the series has lost its appeal for me. At least i'll always have the Ezio trilogy.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Finally got round to finishing Driver San Francisco on Xbox 360.

Easily one of my favourite games of all time!

Anyone else played it?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Is that the one where you can zoom out and switch cars in a sort of metaphysical way?
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

RetroRobot wrote:Is that the one where you can zoom out and switch cars in a sort of metaphysical way?
Yep
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

That particular mechanic is actually what turned me off trying it, as I like abit more realism in those kinds of games. Otherwise, I thought the game looked pretty cool. Played the shit out of the old Driver games back on PS1 and 2.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

RetroRobot wrote:That particular mechanic is actually what turned me off trying it, as I like abit more realism in those kinds of games. Otherwise, I thought the game looked pretty cool. Played the shit out of the old Driver games back on PS1 and 2.

It's actually really good, give it a try (the xbox demo is free, don't know about other formats)
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Sure, i'll give the demo a whirl.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

No demo on XBL :?
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

RetroRobot wrote:No demo on XBL :?

We had a demo in the UK. Maybe they're taking them down after a time?
Silver & Gold Dragon
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by Silver & Gold Dragon »

I think played the demo a couple of years back.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Just got Lollipop Chainsaw today. OMG this games crazy and a winner already!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB17PMjE-nE
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

What I wrote on Feb 7th:-
Started playing Transformers: War for Cybertron... this game is outstanding!

Definitely the Arkham Asylum of Transformers licensed games.
  • All of the gameplay systems and all aspects of the presentation are polished to an immaculate sheen.
  • The writing is spot on, with characteristic matching those of the G1 cartoon.
  • The voice acting is excellent.
The PC port is a bit janky, but that's fixed with a series of simple user tweaks. A modded INI; an FPS unlocker; an FoV hack; the SMAA injector.

Now I've finished Fall of Cybertron...
If War for Cybertron was the Arkham Asylum of Transformers games, then Fall of Cybertron is the Mass Effect 3. FoC takes the already outstanding building blocks of WfC and betters EVERYTHING, the same way that ME3 did with ME2's gameplay formula. A god tier experience from beginning to end.

War's format of having two separate Autobot and Decepticon co-op campaigns is sacrificed for the better. Fall delivers one cohesive narrative that every modern military spectacle shooter with shifting perspectives and locales wishes they had. Co-op is axed in favour of having different playable character, almost all of which offer a unique gameplay experience:- the powerful melee only Grimlock with his building rage; Cliffjumper with his stealth segments; Jazz with his Arkham-alike vertical traversal via grappling hook; etc, etc.

Developer High Moon was clearly utterly enamored by the source material, I really do hope that they get to make another one.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Playing Remember 11 at the moment (Visual Novel) - its developed by KID and the same guy who did the superb 999 on Nntendo DS and it's fine sequel, VLR (Virtues Last Reward).
Finished Never 7 previously (which was OK I guess), and before that, Ever 17 which after a slow start was amazing with the mother of all pay-offs :o
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

GTA V... not impressed. Hope it gets better down the road.