What is Uncompressed Digital?

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

What is Uncompressed Digital?

Post by Markgway »

Checking out the specs for WU XIA (2011) and under Cinematographic Process we have:

Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
Super 35 (source format)
Uncompressed Digital (source format)

Is UD some kind of HD format like Redcode RAW?
Is UD the actual name of the process or just a generic assignation like widescreen?
hanshotfirst1138
Little White Dragon

Re: What is Uncompressed Digital?

Post by hanshotfirst1138 »

Basically, when a film is shot digitally, the raw video in the camera ("negative," thought as a celluloid whore, I hate referring it that way) at proper ulta high-def can run at very high resolutions like 4K or 6K (Epic Red, Alexa 65, Sony F65). It's then downscaled to whatever resolution the digital intermediate is, generally 2K, because the resolution of raw 4K and up is so high that it's harder to manipulate it and render SFX, color timing, etc. You therefore are actually losing some of the resolution when the DI is done at lower one, but for reasons of workflow, 4K DIs are fairly uncommon, and I've yet to see a DI res-ed higher than that.

REDCODE RAW is basically a kind of uncompressed digital, as is ARRIRAW. Same idea.

I could be talking out my ass, so if anyone is more knowledgeable than me, by all means, let me know.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

So WU XIA would have been shot on film (Super 35) and in HD (uncompressed digital*)?

*format unknown.

Page where I got the info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1718199/tec ... tt_dt_spec
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

han's on the right tracks but it has nothing to do with resolution. RAW format is basically just the exact information that the camera sensor detects, which obviously isn't anything you could display on a screen without processing. Uncompressed means that RAW data has been processed, usually by reducing the bit-depth and color subsampling, etc, without actually compressing the data in the traditional sense.

Nice response when you first posted this btw! Dunno where I was at the time! :D