What program do you use to display your images?
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
What program do you use to display your images?
I'm looking for a program that's fairly light and can be launched in a couple of seconds (so: no Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro).
It also has to be compatible with most formats (PNG, JPG, BMP, TIFF, GIF, etc...).
Right now I'm using Micro$oft Photo Editor and that's fine, but it doesn't like high-resolution pictures.
What are you guys using?
It also has to be compatible with most formats (PNG, JPG, BMP, TIFF, GIF, etc...).
Right now I'm using Micro$oft Photo Editor and that's fine, but it doesn't like high-resolution pictures.
What are you guys using?
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
irfanview is one of the best on the market, once your settings have been set to what you like its the best you can get I say. I edit images in Photoshop and view them on this and it does plenbty of things as well as letting you view most video formats too 
Get it here for free
http://www.irfanview.com/
Get it here for free
http://www.irfanview.com/
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
- IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Once you mess about with Irfanview for a while and get it running your way its great and you can get loads of add ons etc..
Picture & Fax Viewer for me is not the best available to people, its just abit dodgy to me and I could never go back to that ever again after trying better products
I hate the way it displays pics, its clunky (techincal term that). I edit photos a lot and store them in their thousands and looking thu them need to be quick and easy, Irfanview just seems the best I have tried. Give it a quick go you may like it 
Picture & Fax Viewer for me is not the best available to people, its just abit dodgy to me and I could never go back to that ever again after trying better products
- IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
I tried it out on my test PC once but I didn't like it. I don't really have much use for it anyway to be honest. I use Paint Shop Pro for my editing needs & Picture & Fax Viewer for viewing files.
I don't see the point of adding another program to Windows when the built in one does a perfectly good job for me...
I don't see the point of adding another program to Windows when the built in one does a perfectly good job for me...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
To View photos I use the built in Picture and Fax viewer, it does the job. To edit Corel-Photo Paint. I used to use Adobe Photoshop but prefer Corel Photo-Paint. Paint Shop Pro is okay but basic.
If I want to view a thumbnail selection I use Microsoft Digital Image Suite but in reality I rarely use it. Explorer and Picture and Fax viewer do the job.
Irfanview reminds me of Microsoft Imaging which came free with Windows 2000 and is basic as hell (I don't know if Irfanview is).
If I want to view a thumbnail selection I use Microsoft Digital Image Suite but in reality I rarely use it. Explorer and Picture and Fax viewer do the job.
Agreed. All it has to do is open a jpeg.IronMonkey wrote:I don't see the point of adding another program to Windows when the built in one does a perfectly good job for me...
What that it loads them? Sure it has no thumbnail view but then you can do that in Explorer anyway.I hate the way it displays pics
What do you want to customise? It opens them doesn't it.tom2681 wrote:You can't customize it.![]()
Irfanview reminds me of Microsoft Imaging which came free with Windows 2000 and is basic as hell (I don't know if Irfanview is).
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
White background. That bothers me.Brad wrote:What do you want to customise? It opens them doesn't it.
I'd rather have it black (like in Irfanview) or grey (like in Photo Editor).

That white background is just
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
I've said it before and I'll say it again Tom you have weird tastes
(you want to customise the background, talk about petty
).
Is that MS Photo Editor? The incredibly basic photo program, only made to look good next to MS Imaging and only appearing the once in Office 2000. You'd prefer to use that over Picture and Fax viewer?
MS do love creating new photo programs for every version of Windows and Office. At least they've finally stuck to the same photo program for their "proper" photo suite. It was called Picture-IT but is now called Digital Image Suite, it's pretty good actually. As for the free offering with basic functionality well they've not decided on one of those yet.
It's different again in Office 2003 (Photo Manager I think).
Is that MS Photo Editor? The incredibly basic photo program, only made to look good next to MS Imaging and only appearing the once in Office 2000. You'd prefer to use that over Picture and Fax viewer?
MS do love creating new photo programs for every version of Windows and Office. At least they've finally stuck to the same photo program for their "proper" photo suite. It was called Picture-IT but is now called Digital Image Suite, it's pretty good actually. As for the free offering with basic functionality well they've not decided on one of those yet.
It's different again in Office 2003 (Photo Manager I think).
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
Well yeah, since Picture and Fax viewer hurts my eyes.Is that MS Photo Editor? ... You'd prefer to use that over Picture and Fax viewer?
It is basic, but it's also pretty much all I'm looking for anyway.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Irfanview is a lot more advanced than you think then Bradavon, by a mile. I am sure I dont just look at an image, I zoom in, scan, rotate etc.. maybe I am a freak then, but I like to do more than just look at an image with a hideous engine and silly boxes around my pics 
Picture and Fax viewer does the job obviously and most people wouldnt do anything else as they dont even know you can do anything else, but I have tried many and Picture and Fax viewer is so basic its hideous
The best thing about it mind you if for viewing Gifs, I like the interface on Picture and Fax viewer for them and used to have it set for all my gifs, so it has its uses that for sure.
Think of it like the difference between Photoshop compared to pretty much all other art/edit programmes, they may do pretty similar things, but Photoshop is by far the leader when you get to use it regulary and learn to use it all (which takes years sadly).
Still its what you get used to on the whole I find, some people will never change once they have used something for a while. I try new things all the time for a while, if its crap it goes
I used to use Firegraphic for viewing images, it was superb! then they upgraded it and ruined it
and now they charge for it too, so they made it poorer and make you pay, muppets.
Picture and Fax viewer does the job obviously and most people wouldnt do anything else as they dont even know you can do anything else, but I have tried many and Picture and Fax viewer is so basic its hideous
Think of it like the difference between Photoshop compared to pretty much all other art/edit programmes, they may do pretty similar things, but Photoshop is by far the leader when you get to use it regulary and learn to use it all (which takes years sadly).
Still its what you get used to on the whole I find, some people will never change once they have used something for a while. I try new things all the time for a while, if its crap it goes
I used to use Firegraphic for viewing images, it was superb! then they upgraded it and ruined it
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Ohh yea forgot to say Picasa is worth a try, its georgous to look at and makes images come to life, but its a little slow for viewing for me, but boy its bloody clever and the look and interface is amazing for viewing slideshows etc.. one of the best and free! I rarley use it just becuase its a little too much at times, a bit overwhelming, but good for impressing people I guess 
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Yup it is Heavy
still it has so many features and does so much its fun, if a little over the top and it probibly eats your Ram and processor with them fancy features.
Great for slideshow presentations and stuff. Good for just finding images on your PC, took me about 3 hours to find all images on my PC last time and it got near the end and the PC crashed as it overheated
so it lost them all again, bugger.
Great for slideshow presentations and stuff. Good for just finding images on your PC, took me about 3 hours to find all images on my PC last time and it got near the end and the PC crashed as it overheated
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Forget that what is Tom doing buying pop tarts? Yuck.
, but I have tried many and Picture and Fax viewer is so basic its hideous
The best thing about it mind you if for viewing Gifs, I like the interface on Picture and Fax viewer for them and used to have it set for all my gifs, so it has its uses that for sure.
I've not used Adobe PS since v6.0 but the lack of toolbars and lots of endless menus got on my nerves.
I have been thinking about giving Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo 10 and Photoshop CS2 a go though, as it's been a while since I used both.
Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 (I think 2007 is out now) is actually very good too. It's not as powerful as Corel Photo-Paint 12 (13 is out, called X3) but has some neat functions made easier than Corel's approach, plus it's Image Library doesn't exist in Photo-Paint.
From what I can gather Paint Shop Pro Photo has been redesign for amatater photographers in mind whereas Corel Photo-Paint is still there for Professionals, and as always go head to head against Adobe Photoshop.
The funny thing is before Corel bought Jasc Paint Shop Pro was also a competitor to Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photo-Paint so is more powerful than you'd expect. Comparing Paint Shop Pro to Adobe Photoshop Elements it's miles ahead, Photoshop Elements really is basic.
All these similar names though really gets on my nerves :shock: .
Seeing as I've not downloaded it I would be a bit silly if I thought otherwise.romerojpg wrote:Irfanview is a lot more advanced than you think then Bradavon, by a mile.
The name says it all, it's not supposed to do anything else. If want more I fire up Corel Photo-Paint.romerojpg wrote:Picture and Fax viewer does the job obviously and most people wouldnt do anything else as they dont even know you can do anything else
, but I have tried many and Picture and Fax viewer is so basic its hideous
It's all artistry snobbery. Corel Photo-Paint, Adobe Photoshop and Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo are all as good as each other. I prefer the interface on Corel Photo-Paint to Adobe Photoshop. I've been told Paint Shop is lesser to these two but don't know if that's true. I do know there is nothing between Photo-Paint and Photoshop though. It's the Ipod of photo programs.romerojpg wrote:Think of it like the difference between Photoshop compared to pretty much all other art/edit programmes, they may do pretty similar things, but Photoshop is by far the leader when you get to use it regulary and learn to use it all (which takes years sadly).
I've not used Adobe PS since v6.0 but the lack of toolbars and lots of endless menus got on my nerves.
I have been thinking about giving Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo 10 and Photoshop CS2 a go though, as it's been a while since I used both.
Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 (I think 2007 is out now) is actually very good too. It's not as powerful as Corel Photo-Paint 12 (13 is out, called X3) but has some neat functions made easier than Corel's approach, plus it's Image Library doesn't exist in Photo-Paint.
From what I can gather Paint Shop Pro Photo has been redesign for amatater photographers in mind whereas Corel Photo-Paint is still there for Professionals, and as always go head to head against Adobe Photoshop.
The funny thing is before Corel bought Jasc Paint Shop Pro was also a competitor to Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photo-Paint so is more powerful than you'd expect. Comparing Paint Shop Pro to Adobe Photoshop Elements it's miles ahead, Photoshop Elements really is basic.
All these similar names though really gets on my nerves :shock: .
I tried 12 different DVD Writing packages when I got my DVD Writer, most were rubbish but 2 were decent (the best is easily DVD Shrink, which is even free).romerojpg wrote:Still its what you get used to on the whole I find, some people will never change once they have used something for a while. I try new things all the time for a while, if its crap it goes
My god that is basic. You can't even scroll back and forward with Photo Editor.tom2681 wrote:Well yeah, since Picture and Fax viewer hurts my eyes.![]()
It is basic, but it's also pretty much all I'm looking for anyway.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
Grrr... I should have known.
Irfanview can't open files with chinese characters in the filename (just like Photo Editor). It just says "file not found".
I wonder if there's a plug-in that can make it support unicode...
Irfanview can't open files with chinese characters in the filename (just like Photo Editor). It just says "file not found".
I wonder if there's a plug-in that can make it support unicode...
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Why do you want Chinese filenames? Just rename them in Explorer, they're just filenames.
Fair enough Romero. I still say it's artistic snobbery and the Ipod for Graphics. Oh and it's the standard so you'd be dumb to learn anything else (like MS Office), which turns full circle in no one trying anything else.
Fair enough Romero. I still say it's artistic snobbery and the Ipod for Graphics. Oh and it's the standard so you'd be dumb to learn anything else (like MS Office), which turns full circle in no one trying anything else.