Reverse Racism

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Reverse Racism

Post by grim_tales »

Did anyone see News Knight with Trevor McDonald on Sunday (I think?) - can't remember what day it was.
I was watching The Wright Stuff on C5 this morning and they brought this subject up.
It (News Knight) is a satirical show that looks back at the weeks news (though I haven't seen it), it made the news because Trevor mimicked Bernard Manning and took the piss out of him, he said something like "I never thought he was racist, just a fat white bastard" or something like that, and Ofcom received quite a lot of complaints.
I don't like Manning, lazy racist humour IMO. The context of McDonalds gag (a satirical show) should be taken into account I think, and of course it is wrong to make a joke about someone's skin colour, but I think turning the joke on it's head turns it from being offensive into mocking. Anyway all he did was speak the truth :D
I think if Manning were alive today and made the same joke about McDonald, there'd be compalints...?
What do you reckon?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Manning wasn't allowed on TV for that reason. I've not seen the show.

I'm in two minds: On the one hand if it were a White person it would've been on the News but McDonald saying it it is okay. Then again comedy shouldn't be confused with racism.

That isn't something I'd expect McDonald to say.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

I've seen one episode of News Knight-it's terrible. Trevor should stick to reading the news off an autocue.
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I agree with you Brad, on both counts. It was satire, comedy! Probably used to say how stupid Manning was? I don't know.
I'll catch a bit of News Knight when its on. I think Trevor was pretty good when he presented HIGNFY :)
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

bradavon wrote:I'm in two minds: On the one hand if it were a White person it would've been on the News but McDonald saying it it is okay. Then again comedy shouldn't be confused with racism.
To be honest, even though if it was said as a joke, i just didn't like it. Completely agree if it was on the other foot, then there was would be def uproar. Trevor Macdonald didn't really need to do that
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

It's not something I would have expected him to say, even on a satire show.
Agree if a white person racially abused a black/asian person, there would be outcry and we wouldnt hear the end of it.
Slasher did you see Hell's Kitchen? Jim Davidson got complaints because he said homophobic stuff to Brian Dowling (from Big Brother) apprently, he called gay men shirtlifters or something.
I don't like Jim Davidson either BTW.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

grim_tales wrote:Slasher did you see Hell's Kitchen? Jim Davidson got complaints because he said homophobic stuff to Brian Dowling (from Big Brother) apprently, he called gay men shirtlifters or something.
I don't like Jim Davidson either BTW.
Yeah I've been watching it, since it has started, i am hooked on it, and got my wife hooked on it as well. Yeah I saw Jim Davidson say that to Brian and it was a bit out of order, but I didn't like how everyone suddenly ganged up on Jim Davidson, also prior to Jim saying that, no one in his team was chatting to him, that was a bit out of order, i did feel sorry for him in that. But the guy does have issues, but also you see there is a difference between the PC world of today and his time.
To be honest I don't understand the offense of shirtlifter thou, it has puzzled me why that is offensive. I can understand the 'N' word being offensive, also paki, whitey etc all, but not shirtlifter. If anyone does, please tell me.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I have to agree, I don't understand why shirtlifter is offensive :?
I'm not familliar with Jim's "comedy" that much though I have seen one of those cheesy pantos he did, just full of bad sexist jokes TBH.
I remember him on Big Break though :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The timing of the joke was inapporpriate since the man just died and like his comedy or not he had a family who were grieving. I understand the satirical context, but do you think that argument would've been accepted had a white man called someone a "fat black bastard"? There would've been an outcry and action would've been taken. Remember all that nonsense over Shilpa Shetty? People getting death threats! Racism is wrong no matter where it comes from, and whilst I "get" the humour, you either have to accept everyone's right to make these jokes or no one's.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Agreed. Manning had recently died so his family must be grieving.