Page 60 of 152

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 05:31
by Kurgan
You'd think that after watching that, I'd be really tired and sleepy, but oh no, not a fuckin' chance. I swear to God, I'm sick of not being able to sleep properly. Granted, tonight had some sort of reason for staying up, but I'm normally up 'til later than this. In fact, I've felt more tired watching this than I normally do. :roll:

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 07:20
by Markgway
Yi-Long wrote:I feel Best Producer should go to projects that involve a much bigger risk, both financially as well as artistically.
They've added a new category or do you mean best picture?

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 07:23
by Markgway
I see The Departed won Best Picture and Director.

You know what'll happen now don't you?

1. Everyone will say how it's a shame Scorcese won the award past his best.

2. That the film wasn't as good as the HK original which won bugger all at the Oscars.

Let the backlash begin.... :D

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 14:42
by thelostdragon
The ones who I really think deserved their awards are Ennio Morricone (Honorary Award) and Forest Whitaker. Who would have thought that the guy who tries to catch Van Damme in "Bloodsport" would be standing in front of the Academy receiving his award one day?

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 14:55
by grim_tales
Markgway wrote:I see The Departed won Best Picture and Director.

You know what'll happen now don't you?

1. Everyone will say how it's a shame Scorcese won the award past his best.

2. That the film wasn't as good as the HK original which won bugger all at the Oscars.

Let the backlash begin.... :D
It wasn't as good as the HK original, which won bugger all at the Oscars.

:D

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 15:39
by Yi-Long
Daniel Craig should have been nominated!

And yeah, a shame that the HK original didnt get the same oscar respect as it's remake got.

But what can you expect from an organisation that forgot to pay tribute to one of the best actors ever in their memorial-sequence (Leslie Cheung didnt even get a mention in 2004)

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 15:41
by thelostdragon
For "Inner Senses"? As far as I can remember he never participated in any film that was nominated for an Oscar.

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 15:48
by grim_tales
I agree with you Yi, I enjoyed Pirates but if Johnny Depp can get nominated for camping it up impersonating Keith Richards, admittedly very funny, then Craig should get a nod for playing perhaps the Best Bond ever.

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 15:50
by Yi-Long
Ehmmm... no ... for dying!
He died in 2003, and usually the big actors/names in cinema who have died get a mention during a memorial montage.

He's been in many BIGGGGGgggg and important movies in asian cinema (A Better Tomorrow, Farewell my Concubine, Days of Being Wild, Happy Together, Rouge, Chinese Ghost Story, Bride with White Hair, etc... ) and he is known as a terrific and versatible actor... so I think he should at least have had a few clips of respect.

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 16:40
by Yi-Long
Wow... I just got mentioned on CNN :D

They were asking about the viewers' favourite movies of 2006, so I wrote in and said Casino Royale, and about how I liked Daniel Craig's performance :D And they read the email and said many people agreed with it.

Ofcourse, I used my nickname (Yi Long) instead of my actual name :D

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 17:08
by Shingster
thelostdragon wrote:For "Inner Senses"? As far as I can remember he never participated in any film that was nominated for an Oscar.
I'm just old enough to remember how well received Farewell My Concubine was in the west. It was nominated for Best Foreign Film and Best Cinematography at the Oscars, but never won anything. It did win Best Foreign Film at the Golden Globes and BAFTA's though.
thelostdragon wrote:The ones who I really think deserved their awards are Ennio Morricone (Honorary Award) and Forest Whitaker. Who would have thought that the guy who tries to catch Van Damme in "Bloodsport" would be standing in front of the Academy receiving his award one day?
He won best actor at Cannes that year for his performance in Bird, so that really was his breakout year as an actor. 8)

Posted: 26 Feb 2007, 18:04
by grim_tales
Anyone watching Weakest Link?
The winner in today's episode was an Asian (missed the start so I'm not sure where from girl called Jess, she was pretty nice :)

Posted: 27 Feb 2007, 00:42
by thelostdragon
Yi, I know he is in all those wonderful films and I am also of the opinion that he was a great actor, but I don't think anybody should win an Oscar simply for dying.

Posted: 27 Feb 2007, 00:47
by Markgway
Yi was being sarcastic.

Posted: 27 Feb 2007, 00:49
by Yi-Long
thelostdragon wrote:Yi, I know he is in all those wonderful films and I am also of the opinion that he was a great actor, but I don't think anybody should win an Oscar simply for dying.
Me neither. I said he deserved at least a mention during the memorial montage, which is completely different from winning an oscar for dying.

What happened, LD? Brad took over your body for the sole purpose of misunderstanding my posts?

:P

Posted: 27 Feb 2007, 01:00
by thelostdragon
Somebody has to do the nasty jobs.

Posted: 02 Mar 2007, 23:58
by Yi-Long
No major news from me, aside from the fact that I just learned that in Holland a guy can rape a 4 year old girl, and only get punished for 240 hours of labour.
Incredible. :?

Posted: 03 Mar 2007, 00:56
by Markgway
Jeez, that's even worse than the UK.

Posted: 03 Mar 2007, 01:19
by Yi-Long
A few more years and judges will be handing out CD/DVD coupons when you've raped a kid... :N

Posted: 03 Mar 2007, 02:37
by Kurgan
OK, onto something slightly more pleasant. Keep an eye out tonight for the lunar eclipse that's going to take place at about 8.15 GMT.
BBC report.

Posted: 03 Mar 2007, 22:38
by tom2681
Moon is going red as we speak...

Posted: 04 Mar 2007, 01:10
by thelostdragon
Yup, observed it here as well.

Posted: 07 Mar 2007, 02:55
by Kurgan
R.I.P. Baudrillard. Though he'd probably have something to say about that sentiment. :)

Posted: 08 Mar 2007, 10:18
by tom2681
Woke up this morning... no electricity.
Went to the basement... basement door had been blown-up (literally !).
Went into the basement.... 60 cms of water.

Stupid boiler has exploded.

But that's not the best bit:
It's now raining, and I can't prevent the rain from getting into the basement.

Gotta gather the cats and build an ark...
Can't wait to count all the zeroes on the water bill.

Posted: 08 Mar 2007, 11:08
by Yi-Long
Arent you insured? Plus who did you buy the waterboiler from? If you have done nothing wrong, surely you can get the money back from the guys who gave you a faulty boiler?

That's sucky news, dude. You're not the most lucky guy in the world, are ya? (even though you're french)